What's new

Post Shave Blade Care

For me, it's rinse, pat dry with a towel and arm strop. That's it. Don't know if that's necessary or does any good. But, it's my routine.

Rinse and leave it in the razor if I'm using it next day. If for some reason I'm changing blades, pat dry with paper towel and put it back in the wrapper.

I remove the blade and rinse it under hot water, then dry it with a sheet of toilet paper. If it's still usable, it air dries on the bathroom window sill. If it's not, it goes into a pill bottle (my used blade bank) for later disposal.

For the razor itself, I rinse it under hot water then dry it with a microfiber towel. Gets put in the window sill to air dry. Because I have hard water, I'll use hot water, a soft toothbrush, and dish washing liquid once a week to keep soap scum / calcium / lime deposits at bay. I then dry it as mentioned above, and give the moving parts (threads, door hinges, knob dials, etc.) a small squirt of machine oil for lube.

I do this because when I was new and didn't know better, I ruined a vintage Gillette SuperSpeed through lack of PMCS.

I remove the blade from the razor, pat dry with a towel, sometimes use the blow drier on it very briefly when I'm done using it on my hair, then put it back in its wax paper wrapper for the next use.
I blot the razor with a hand towel and give it a quick blow dry as well. And occasionally I spray some Dawn Platinum Powerwash to keep the gunk off them.

Last edited:
I was just wondering what you all do with your blades once you're done shaving? Is there a process you use to prep the blade for its next use? I typically rinse mine, dry and strop it across my arm 10 or so times. I have no idea if this is right wrong or makes any difference. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
If you use the blade for a week or thereabouts, there is no need to remove the blade and give it any special care. If you like to switch your blade with each shave or two then its worthwhile to dry it well and store it somewhere where no one will be injured.

Top Bottom