What's new

Post-newbie check-in and my razor experience

Hello everyone. I just joned the site and checked in on the newbie page. There, I mentioned my year and a half long trial with various Gillette blades. I know some of the guys here use cartridges. I know that other readers, possibly lurkers as I once was, are considering the switch to a DE. So, I have written up a summary of my experience in blade trials. I hope this isn't redundant or unhelpful. As I said in the newbie check-in, thanks to B&B for a world of information. I hope I can give back.

Gillette cartridge blades comparison

In June 2009, I decided to sample Gillette's cartridge offerings. I already had a Mach 3 handle. I purchased a Trac II handle, an Atra handle, and a new Sensor handle. Additionally, I purchased Trac II and Atra blades (with the lubristrip), Sensor and Sensor Excel blades, and Mach 3 and Mach 3 Turbo blades. Over the next twenty months, I alternated between blades to try to determine which blade gave me the best shave. I did not purchase a brush and shaving soap or cream that is used with a brush. I had just started using Zirh brushless cream, and I like it. I have allergies and sensitive skin, and Zirh products work for me. So, I did not think it necessary to go with a brush just yet. However, I started wet shaving. I paid close attention to pressure applied to my face. I also stopped using a "swivel wrist," which I found helpful even when using shaving systems that utilized swiveling heads, like Sensor and Mach 3. I use neither a Fusion nor powered razors, as I wasn't willing to invest in that hype. I had been using Mach 3 and Mach 3 turbo for about eight years, and I felt no need to add blades to my experience.

Trac II
The Trac II razor, for anyone who doesn't know, was Gillette's first two-blade razor. I bought my Trac II handle on eBay. The razor I purchased was manufactured in 1973. It is brown plastic and gold metal. The Trac II does not pivot, and the blade slides onto the handle. I appreciated the accuracy of the Trac II in trimming side burns. However, I never received a satisfactory shave with the Trac II. I made sure I spaced out the blades over a long period of time so my technique would develop, but that made little difference. The blades nicked and pulled. The blades never seemed sharp, unless they were nicking me. Overall, the experience was not pleasant. Of all the cartridge blades, the Trac II ranks last. The cartridges I used were all made in China. I also tried various store brand blades, and those were considerably worse than the Gillette blades.

Atra
The Atra razor was Gillette's first pivoting razor. I purchased the handle on eBay. It is steel and has a nice feel in my hand. The quality of the Atra blades I could find, both Gillette and store brands, were not that great. Overall, the shaves were more comfortable than Trac II. Also, I preferred these to the standard Sensor blades. I will likely keep Atra cartridges around as a backup and for trimming around my neckline on the back of my neck and around my ears a bit between haircuts. Not a bad shave, but not good enough.

Sensor and Sensor Excel
I was surprised at the difference in shaves between the Sensor and Sensor Excel blades. I remember in the early 1990s when the Sensor came out. I couldn't wait to start shaving to try this marvel of shaving, as I thought it would indeed be the best a man can get. That isn't quite true, though. While the Sensor blades were consistently smoother and sharper than the Atra blades, the shaves were not nearly as close. Also, even though the shaves felt smoother, I had more irritation and razor burn with the Sensors. The Sensor Excel blades, however, are superior to the Trac II, Atra, and Sensor blades. If I had to, I would pick Sensor Excel over the standard Mach 3. The Sensor Excel blades are consistent. I got fewer nicks and less irritation. Also, I was able to sample Chinese and German Sensor and Sensor Excel blades, and I could not tell a difference between the country of origin. It may be my imagination, but it seems like the prices on the Sensor Excel cartridges have increased. This was yet another reason why I continued my experimentation.

Mach 3 and Mach 3 Turbo
As with the Sensor, I noticed a distinct difference between the Mach 3 and Mach 3 Turbo blades. I first used Mach 3 blades sometime in 1999. I moved to the Mach 3 Turbo when it came out a couple years later. I could tell the difference between the shaves then just as I can now. As I said above, I think the Sensor Excel cartridges are better overall than Mach 3, but the Mach 3 Turbo is better than the Sensor Excel. When using a light to no pressure wet shaving technique, the Mach 3 Turbo provides an outstanding shave. With two passes, WTG and ATG, Mach 3 Turbo got the job done.

DE
The decision to keep looking for alternate shaving system finally happened, though, as my blade stash neared its end. I currently have one cartridge each of Mach 3 Turbo, Sensor Excel, and Sensor. Two weeks ago, I decided it was time to take the plunge and go for a DE. After much reading and comparing, I decided on a Merkur 23c. I ordered that and six different types of DE blades from West Coast Shaving, which got my order to me in about three days. I first used the Merkur blade that came with my 23c. As I had improved my general shaving technique over the last year and a half, my switch to DE shaving has been smooth (pun intended). I was apprehensive, so in the days after my purchase, I watched several of mantic59's YouTube videos. Needless to say, although the Mach 3 Turbo was giving me good shaves, I firmly believe that DE shaving is superior. I can honestly say that I did not expect that to be the case. But, with attention to technique and detail, patience, and focusing on enjoying the shave, DE is better. Plus, at less than $0.50 per blade, what's not to love?!

While I have not made the decision to go to a brush and soap/cream yet, I am more than satisfied with my current set up of DE and non-lathering cream, even thought I know that's not the most popular thing here. I am considering getting into lathering creams and soaps, but based on some scent samples I ordered, I will have to try to find a place that has products that I can check out. I didn't dig the smell of the samples. Plus, all of them made me sneeze. I like the clean and fragrance free Zirh products. I also use unscented Lubriderm. If and when I take that next step, I'll probably start with Proraso, as I have used products with similar scent characteristics. Plus, I think my wife would flip if I spent more money on shaving right now. Maybe when my Zirh cream runs out and I have to get something else, the time will be right.

Thank you to B&B for being a great site. I decided I had to join and share once my DE came in and I realized you guys are onto something. That probably means I need to get a brush!:lol::lol:

Wow. Nice, detailed post.

Personally I disagree with your evaluations of the cartridge systems, but that's neither here nor there. I do agree that Sensor Excel is certainly one of the best cartridge systems out there.

Glad you're enjoying your new DE experience.

Welcome to B&B.

ive gone through similar issues..

and if you keep looking blades can be even cheaper!

this is a great thing, and i have just done my first shave this morning!

lol yes get a brush. I like seeing this kind of enthusiasm, blade sampler packs ftw, get two if you can, you'll want to try out different blades multiple times as you improve your technique. There was a time I would've advised you to ditch the cartridges all together but YMMV is the name of the game

Wow. Nice, detailed post.

Personally I disagree with your evaluations of the cartridge systems, but that's neither here nor there. I do agree that Sensor Excel is certainly one of the best cartridge systems out there.

Glad you're enjoying your new DE experience.

Welcome to B&B.

+1
I wonder if the Trac II works better if you're used to DE shaving? I've been using the 2-blade Gillette disposables a bit lately, and rather liking them, but I remember occasionally using fixed-head disposables back in my Sensor days and never being able to get much joy out of them. This would make sense in terms of the Trac II's position in the history of shaving, at any rate.

Personally I disagree with your evaluations of the cartridge systems, but that's neither here nor there.

As do I. I am absolutly in love with my Trac II. This week I have used it 4 times, and an Injector twice. The Trac II gives me wonderful, close, comfortable shaves.

I think the biggest difference will be found in using a quality brush, and shaving cream/ shaving soap. In my mind, technique is most important, followed by quality cream/soap/brush, and actually hardware is least important. I can get a great shave from just about anything.

So that said, you should get a quality brush, and cream/soap as soon as possible. It will make a huge difference.

Welcome to B and B. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom