What's new

Pork belly, yum!

So, what plans do think I have for this pork belly?

What would you do with it?

This was a first for me and a huge success by the way!
20210227_123221.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
When I was a kid we was so poor we used to take turns blowing them up and kicking them around like soccer balls.

They'd get kinda stinky by the end of the second day, but it kept us off the streets at night....

When I was a kid we was so poor we used to take turns blowing them up and kicking them around like soccer balls.

They'd get kinda stinky by the end of the second day, but it kept us off the streets at night....
I definitely missed out on that kind of fun! I was quite content with playing with sticks and rocks. Found some nice flint once and had it taken away by my father when he realized I knew how to use it.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Nothin' against unmodified pork belly, but if I had that in my kitchen it would be on the way to becoming Pancetta Tesa.

THEN I'd do something with it!

O.H.

Alrighty then, time for the reveal.
I decided to make my own bacon for the first time. It's actually my first time curing meat as well.
I cut it up in 5 pieces and did a different wet cure for each.
Each cure included brown sugar, kosher salt, and sodium nitrate. Since I don't have a smoker, I also included liquid smoke in the cure.
Here's what made them different.
1- coffee, black pepper, hickory liquid smoke, and maple syrup.
2- hickory liquid smoke and black strap molasses.
3- apple liquid smoke, black pepper, and agave syrup.
4- apple liquid smoke and maple syrup.
5- mesquite liquid smoke and clover honey.
Each are uniquely delicious.
After 7 days of curing, flipping each slab over each day, I rinsed them off, patted them dry, and let them dry in the fridge for an additional 6 hours.
So with no smoker I was left with two options for the cooking process. The oven or my sous vide. Lacking meat racks, the oven was out of question. So I vacuumed sealed each slab and placed them in a 150 degree bath for 24 hours.
Once the 24 hours was over I quench them in a ice bath for 30 minutes to speed up their cool down time. Then in was into the fridge overnight.
This morning I took them out of the bags, wiped them down, and sliced them up.
I then cooked a slice of each. Absolutely delicious. I may never buy premade bacon ever again!
Now for the pictures!

Very interesting and creative! How long will that bacon keep? Does it need to be frozen?
My understanding, as is, it'll keep in the fridge for 10 days. Vacuum sealed and frozen, months. But I doubt it'll last past April since I absolutely love bacon!

BTW, if you like Mexican/Central American food you might like this.

Here it is served with salsa & beans on a homemade flour tortilla. There is a hole in the wall restaurant in this area that makes a good version of this guilty pleasure.

1615427336336.png

BTW, if you like Mexican/Central American food you might like this.

Here it is served with salsa & beans on a homemade flour tortilla. There is a hole in the wall restaurant in this area that makes a good version of this guilty pleasure.

View attachment 1235002
I'm from New Mexico originally and love Mexican food!
That looks amazingly delicious!
Hole in the walls are usually the best places for good eating that'll leave you satisfied.
I've had the opportunity to eat at one of those 5 star, book well in advanced restaurants, and left very hungry and unsatisfied. Went to a local mom and pops taco shop immediately after for real food!

I wanted to add that despite the time involved, nearly nine full days in my case, making your own bacon is really easy!
I wished that I had given it a try sooner!

Top Bottom