What's new

Pomades, Pastes, Wax etc - Beard Product Alternatives

hey okay so some beard products can cost more just because it's got the word beard in it, for example you could get any regular hair oil, whether it be argan, coconut oil, olive oil etc and use that in your beard say for example between £5-£10 as an example for say 100ml but then you'd come across a beard oil which would essentially be the same thing but you'd get like 30 ml instead

So I use beard oils, beard butter and beard balm, which I do buy but mostly make myself

so I need to pick your brains as I know nothing about waxs, pomade etc, what would be the best equivalent to beard balm?

Beard balm is in a nutshell beeswax, shea butter, hair oils and essential oil, however main ingredient is beeswax, obviously the more in it the stronger the hold

Also if you can recommend any beard butter alternatives that would be great too thanks

I make a hair pomade, or I did before I grew it long, that was essentially 60/40 coconut oil and beeswax that I suspect would work great for beards. I’d just get a one oz beeswax puck from the natural foods store, weigh out 1.4 ish ounces of coconut oil and stick them in a metal tin in the toaster oven until melted. Then add essential oil if desired (I did tea tree and orange) and stir while it cools. This process may need to be repeated twice as the wax likes to separate to the top. Also, if your house is cold, you might want to set the tin in a sink of hot water for a bit before using or hit with a hair dryer.

Reactions: saj
I make a hair pomade, or I did before I grew it long, that was essentially 60/40 coconut oil and beeswax that I suspect would work great for beards. I’d just get a one oz beeswax puck from the natural foods store, weigh out 1.4 ish ounces of coconut oil and stick them in a metal tin in the toaster oven until melted. Then add essential oil if desired (I did tea tree and orange) and stir while it cools. This process may need to be repeated twice as the wax likes to separate to the top. Also, if your house is cold, you might want to set the tin in a sink of hot water for a bit before using or hit with a hair dryer.
You follow any tutorials like YouTube vid to make that hair pomade? Sounds like beard balm tbh and I just follow YouTube vids to make it tbh

You follow any tutorials like YouTube vid to make that hair pomade? Sounds like beard balm tbh and I just follow YouTube vids to make it tbh

No, mine was all trial and error. I bet there’s a bunch of great videos though.

No, mine was all trial and error. I bet there’s a bunch of great videos though.
ill check online if i can find anything

so would is regarded as the best of hold and styling without drying out the hair would you say mate?

ill check online if i can find anything

so would is regarded as the best of hold and styling without drying out the hair would you say mate?

It held my hair in place quite well and stayed shiny and pliable through the day. Nice thing is it only cost about $3 to make, (just cook with the rest of the coconut oil) so if it isn’t your thing, you’re not out much.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You Gents have convinced me to look into making my own hair holding stuff. The lovely War Department probably has some bees wax around here from her bee keeping days ...

• Love
You Gents have convinced me to look into making my own hair holding stuff. The lovely War Department probably has some bees wax around here from her bee keeping days ...
Aye up @FarmerTan yea why not! Lol

I make my own beard balm, butter and oil, very easy to do

Yea I normally use beeswax, she's butter, essential oils and hair oil, pretty much make it however you consistency you like

So more hold = more beeswax
More nourishing = more Shea butter/hair oils

What is your aim my friend?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Aye up @FarmerTan yea why not! Lol

I make my own beard balm, butter and oil, very easy to do

Yea I normally use beeswax, she's butter, essential oils and hair oil, pretty much make it however you consistency you like

So more hold = more beeswax
More nourishing = more Shea butter/hair oils

What is your aim my friend?
Hold!

• Haha
Top Bottom