Poll: Favorite 'Go To' Grind And Why

• Full Hollow (and/or 'extra')

• ~3/4 ('stiff full hollow')

• ~1/2 or ~1/4

• Wedge (or near wedge)

• Daily

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I haven't seen this question thrown out there - at least not recently - so I'll give this a shot: Which grind do you prefer to use most often for shaving and why? What's your 'go to' grind?

Mine is definitely full hollow, especially on a 7/8 blade. It just feels more 'precise' these days and smoother when used with lighter pressure. The 'feathery' edge seems to have a slight amount of flex that feels especially good to me on the 3rd (ATG) pass. My best 'velvet squeegee' shaves come with full hollows and are ~silent at the 3rd pass.

Last edited:
ATTN MODS: Is it possible to move this thread to 'General Straight Razor Talk' (and to then delete this post)?

Thanks.

My choice is near wedge definitely, it deliveres great shaves to me, much smother than full hollow which I use in the past.

I don't discriminate, I like all of them. :lol: It all depends on the mood and day for me. Some days I just really want a wedge, some a full hollow. I have recently been falling in love with a couple of 1/2 hollow Wostenholm pipes though, so who knows where I'll be next week!:blush: Gotta love RAD!

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Normally I use hollow but I have been playing with a wedge lately and it's growing on me. I think I'll fix up a few more.

Like most, I have razors with all types of grinds.

Generally speaking, quarter to half works best for me.

With some razors it's hard to quantify the shave by the grind. My full hollow Festonne shaves like a half. My quarter Hart is closer to a wedge feel. It's probably why I keep buying razors. I love getting a new (to me) razor and spending a week or two to learn it. Then, when I'm seeking a particular type of shave, I can revisit that razor.

Regards,

Code

As TheBigSpendur once said:

Whatever one is the sharpest is my favorite.

Or something along those lines....:thumbup1:

I used to love only thick meaty blades, now I dig on the super hollows too. It's all good, just different flavors. Chocolate and vanilla ice cream are both great, but different.

I love all my razors from true wedges to singing full hollows. If I had a preference I have a number of 1/4 hollows that are superlative shavers (Diamond Hayashi, Le Jaguar to name a couple).

I feel the full/extra hollows give a closer and more comfortable shave. I've used the heavier grinds which were more forgiving but not as comfortable.

I don't have much experience with straight razors, but I think my preferred grind is a full-hollow or a 3/4 hollow. I have a 1/2 hollow and extra hollow razors and something between the two would seem to be ideal.

One day I really should try to buy another razor... One that I *really* like.
I find the full hollows have a light touch and mow through the whiskers like crazy.

My observations exactly. Which is why I like fuller-hollowgrind razors.

I didn't vote but I like anything from full hollow to a wedge. They all shave great if the edge if up to snuff.

Top Bottom