What's new

[POLL] BBS or DFS

BBS or DFS...

• Total voters
POLL...

Do you have to have a BBS shave or do you settle for DFS or less?

I have to have a BBS shave everyday. Once I was able to get BBS results, I can't shave with anything not capable of getting me there.

Last edited:
DFS is fine for me. I have a light skin and dark stubble, so even BBS doesn't always look like BBS and requires going against the grain which just causes irritation and sometimes ingrown hairs.

I have areas of my face that end up bbs, but my technique is not quite good enough to get bbs everywhere without irritation. I just settle with dfs for my shaves. I suspect that I need more extensive face mapping to achieve bbs everywhere.

I don't settle for DFS, it's what is best for my skin and complexion. To try a 3rd pass with all sorts of directions seems to only cause problems for me.

I get a DFS and it carries thru the day nicely.

-Stephen

DFS for me. I don't have a huge contrast between skin and hair color so there is no real difference in appearance. Also the difference in feel is almost nothing after a few hours. BBS just doesn't seem worth the extra effort or rick of irritation.

DFS is fine for me but with my current setup Maggard's V3 and Perma Sharp or BIC when I would usually settle for a DFS I have achieved a BBS....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFS. And like above I can get BBS on some areas but not all. This is mainly due to an area on my neck where I "need" to draw the razor sideways to effectively cut the stubble to BBS level but to do that is very difficult due to the curvature of the neck. Ideally I would need a razor that is about half the blade length of what is standard to do that.

I think that in most cases, the only ones who can tell the difference between a BBS and a DFS is the shaver himself. And that's by feel rather than looks.

And, the better your technique is, the less you need the extra passes, touch-ups, etc.

So DFS for me. YMMV.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Accomplished the BBS once. It grew. I don't chase it. Enjoy the DFS because the alternative is a red face.

Hi,

I go for DFS, meaning the only areas which are not BBS are along each jawline and two areas both sides of my lower neck. This, with a Fasan DoubleSlant running WTG then ATG.

I can make the DFS areas BBS by using the Fasan WTG then XTG then switching to a Gillette Old Type Thin Cap ATG. But, that leaves some irritation while my usual Fasan only shave does not.

To top it off, going for BBS only gains me about two additional hours before The Shadow appears: 14 v 12 hours before I need another shave.

Stan

If I have something important to do that day, then it is a BBS shave for me. If not, then DFS is the preferred solution. Also saves me a bunch of time and pain. LOL!! :)

I have found that I always suffer ingrown hairs when I achieve a BBS, even after multiple years of improving my technique. It must be caused by my skin type and therefore I prefer a DFS.

A BBS is my target, however, I have learned not chase it too much. I am enjoying a nice DFS most days with a once or twice a week BBS, usually on Saturdays and Monday's when I have more time to slow down and pay special attention to my neck and jawline.

Some of us with very sensitive skin will never be able to get a BBS. It's not a matter of blade, razor, angle, or lather. My skin simply can't tolerate that close of a shave. That being said, I'm the only DE shaver at my job, and sensitive skin or not, I still have the best shave of all the guys there, by far.

Thanks for all the comments and votes...

I knew DFS would be higher, but I thought it would be closer.

I don't think my skin is tough, I'm sure it is as sensitive as others when it comes to dragging a razor blade across it.

For prep, I shower and wash my face real good with Neutrogena bar face soap. When I get out, I apply my homemade preshave oil. I uber lather with VDH Deluxe, Proraso aloe and vitamin E and 7 drops of glycerin. My 48-50 Aristocrat is my goto razor. With a fresh blade, a BBS shave takes roughly 4 passes if I were to count my strokes. As the blade dulls, it takes a little more work, but the blade is better on my skin. I have 10 face and 10 head shaves on an Astra SS now and the blade is extremely smooth and still efficient. I flip the blade over everyday.

BBS face and head everyday.

Shower, face and head shave takes me about 45 minutes daily. I truly enjoy it a d wouldn't have it any other way.

Top Bottom