What's new

Polishing Straights

I just bought some of the red stuff in a tub. I think it's a touch more aggressive than Brasso, but still not tough enough to get the stubborn stuff.

I can't say how the premium turtle wax rubbing compound works, but the regular rubbing compound isn't too bad for polishing. Especially considering the price (about 3 dollars after tax). :wink:

I have been using Flitz. It works but it takes a while and repeated applications.
Also have been using a Dremel tool. It helps but you have to be careful.

DaveS

Silly newb question: how do you get the rivets off and on without damaging anything?

well if you take them off you need to get new ones to put back on .

Classicshaving.com sells a couple of sets of pins . now if you want to go the easy route you can pick up some size 0 washers and nuts and bolts from most places that sell hobiest stuff like train sets and use those . this way you can have an adjustable scales easy to remove if you want to polish the blade or just change out the scales .

also Micrmark.com sells these
Washers
nuts
Nut driver set
Screws

If you go this route I really think you should pick up the Nut driver set as well it is a huge help on those little suckers.

To remove the old pins try a dremel with a cutting wheel if you have it or try to sand them down if you do not have a dremel .

I have also heard people doing it with a drill and a small drill bit but you may end up messing up the scales if the drill slips a little

This is extremely useful information as I was going nuts trying to find my way in the Micrmark web site looking for the right tools and items needed.

Thx a million!

This is extremely useful information as I was going nuts trying to find my way in the Micrmark web site looking for the right tools and items needed.

Thx a million!

I have cracked the code to that website it was very hard finding the things I wanted from there until I figured it out . if you need to try and order any thing from there let me know and I will do my best to point you to the right direction

Nick

A

Automaton-Tim

I used the green tub to get some slight rust off of my chrome pipes on my 1100 VTC2, worked like a charm with my dremel. I will try it out on an old razor, I suspect that the results will be the same,FLAWLESS.
This is not the plain old turtle wax, but one that has an abrasive compound in it.

A

Automaton-Tim

tried the polishing compound turtle wax today, this wax creates an incredible amount of mess when used with a dremel indoors. bits of white paste flying everywhere, for me the razor looks the same as before using the wax,only a bit more shine. this possibly is not the wax that was used earlier in this thread.
now for the obvious question, what am I doing wrong?
I used TW polishing compound and scratch remover. That may be my problem...

tried the polishing compound turtle wax today, this wax creates an incredible amount of mess when used with a dremel indoors. bits of white paste flying everywhere, for me the razor looks the same as before using the wax,only a bit more shine. this possibly is not the wax that was used earlier in this thread.
now for the obvious question, what am I doing wrong?
I used TW polishing compound and scratch remover. That may be my problem...

Did you buy the same one that is listed in the link or the regular polishing compound ?

As for the mess I got that to lets just say my wife does not like the new stuff very much :wink:

I heard an ear full and then she made me tap out again :biggrin:

It did work pretty well but not as well as I thought it would . at least not for the one blade I used it on .

It does make a mess, but you only need to use a little bit.

I have had the best success with it on blades I have sanded and have a nice, uniform scratch pattern. For whatever reason, on unsanded blades it is little more abrasive than MAAS or Brasso. Cleans them up well but that is about it. Yet when I have taken the time to sand up through a progression of of grits, working my way up to 600 or 800, it works wonders.

I go against the grain of the scratches where possible. Along the edge, that is not always a good idea. Catch an edge once or twice...at best it is surprising. So in the final sand, I go from spine to tail. Thus you can "Dremel" safely with the pad spinning from heel to toe or visa versa.

A

Automaton-Tim

i was using the regular polishing compound,not the one in the link. I do like the shine that the wax gives it.

be sure of the rotation of the dremel if you use one, as it can and will throw the razor very quickly if it grabs the edge,= emergency room visit and stiches, possible ruined razor also

Tried the turtle wax with a normal battery operated drill, didn't do a whole bunch. Tried it last night with the rotozip dremel, wow, W&B carbon steel razor I can see my face in. Try it it works.

I gotta try this stuff. I'm gonna call a couple places tomorrow and see if I can find it locally. Looks like great results.

Top Bottom