What's new

Polished Rockwell 6s?

I know they now have a new kickstarter for their chromed and polished versions, but I purchased the normal 6s before I found that.

The Rockwell 6s is a great shaver, but I feel it would be even better if the surfaces that touched the skin were super smooth and polished.

Has anyone polished their 6s? How do you like it?

Here is an opinion from the Rockwell Razor Club thread.
In that now "vanished" 21 page "Impressions" thread, someone did exactly that. They polished the top of the cap, the handle, and lightly touched up the plates. It came out gorgeous. The cap looked amazing. Hopefully he'll see this thread and repost his pics.

I find the surfaces very smooth and this razor provides a really great, and comfortable, shave. I wouldn't want to alter the Beyond Thunderdome industrial look of the razor. She ain't no beauty but she's very much alright.

But yes, the eye candy factor of a shiny polished razor may make me buy the polished version too; this razor is that good.

In that now "vanished" 21 page "Impressions" thread, someone did exactly that. They polished the top of the cap, the handle, and lightly touched up the plates. It came out gorgeous. The cap looked amazing. Hopefully he'll see this thread and repost his pics.

That would be fantastic if I could read about what all he did and the shaving results following the polishing.

I find the surfaces very smooth and this razor provides a really great, and comfortable, shave. I wouldn't want to alter the Beyond Thunderdome industrial look of the razor. She ain't no beauty but she's very much alright.

But yes, the eye candy factor of a shiny polished razor may make me buy the polished version too; this razor is that good.

It isn't so much the eye candy part, but the polished plates glide better over my skin. It could also have something to do with the harsh/hard water I have here.
And yes, it is a fantastic razor.

I have the stainless Rockwell set and the cheaper polished Rockwell set. They seem to be the same razors except the polished cheaper one does glide better and for me the weight is also better. And, I find the cheaper razor shaves easier for me. I find myself not using the stainless version at all these days. Go figure? So, yes, I think the polished surface is a heck of a lot better!

Is this what you were referring too? Rockwell Razor Club

Shave Emporium's rhodium-plated 6S looks interesting! The standard 6S in their pics is far uglier than mine. Mine is lighter in color, and I've also seen a lot of darker colored ones in people's SOTDs. I think mine is quite handsome, and I like the feel of the unfinished head. It actually feels smoother to me than my chrome razors, but that might just be in my head.

Interesting - personally I've always had the impression that matte finishes are superior in terms of gliding. My shiny chrome-plated razors seem quite sticky to the skin, it almost feels like hard rubber. On the other hand, my matte Ikon X3 feels as smooth as silk in comparison. Never had the chance to try a stainless though.

I can't detect any difference in "glide" between matte and polished stainless razors. My 6S seems to move just as well over my face as my polished Timeless and Weber PH. I do love the look of the Timeless, but then I also think the matte finish suits the rather muscular appearance of the Rockwell.

I can't detect any difference in "glide" between matte and polished stainless razors. My 6S seems to move just as well over my face as my polished Timeless and Weber PH. I do love the look of the Timeless, but then I also think the matte finish suits the rather muscular appearance of the Rockwell.

+1 Totally agree between matt and polished and the matt finish suiting the appearance of the Rockwell. I've said it here before and I'll say it again (I love to hear myself talk)! The Rockwell 6S is the Craftsman Tool of razors. I love mine.

Interesting - personally I've always had the impression that matte finishes are superior in terms of gliding. My shiny chrome-plated razors seem quite sticky to the skin, it almost feels like hard rubber. On the other hand, my matte Ikon X3 feels as smooth as silk in comparison. Never had the chance to try a stainless though.

So I'm not crazy! Good to know! :) I still enjoy my chrome plated razors, but I do have some of that problem as well. It's painfully noticeable if I'm using a soap that isn't particularly hydrating or slick as my skin seems more prone to getting dry than the average dude. So those properties in a soap are very important for me. My last shave was with T+S and 6S on R4. Far out.

Someone asked me to post this in another thread, but I couldn't find the thread, so here it is:

IMG_20170922_173625 (1).jpg

Flat surfaces and top cap were polished on a 600 grit plate followed by 2k and 5k stones, then hand polished with some scrap leather with Veritas Green Honing Compund.

Personally I like the polished feel.

That polished 6s looks beautiful. Imho its worth the $65. If I could go back in time I would've purchased that one instead of the stock 6s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom