What's new

Pol Silver

Switched from Polsiver to Bolzano when they started this routine of suddenly discontinuing the brand just to release it after while and make people pay more than what it’s worth. Never looked back.

If you like Polsilver, give Permasharp a try. Or any Gillette-made blade from St. Petersburg, Russia. There’s a real chance they are all the same in the end

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
This again?

Am I crazy or have Polsilver blades been “going out of production” for the last 8 years? It really does seem like ever since I’ve been a member a “so long Polsilver” thread will pop up every couple years.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Actually....every year!

This one is from 2018

I really think that vendors just want to move stock that isn’t selling so they make up these “uh oh! XYZ is being discontinued!” emails.

Switched from Polsiver to Bolzano when they started this routine of suddenly discontinuing the brand just to release it after while and make people pay more than what it’s worth. Never looked back.

If you like Polsilver, give Permasharp a try. Or any Gillette-made blade from St. Petersburg, Russia. There’s a real chance they are all the same in the end
I've enjoyed every shave I've ever had with a Polsilver blade. They work really well for me and I definitely consider them one of my personal favorites along with GSBs and a few others. I recently bought some Astra Superior Stainless blades after reading recommendations from @FarmerTan, @RayClem, and @lak611 in a different thread. I just checked the description of the blades and see they are manufactured in Saint Petersburg, Russia for Gillette UK. Now I'm really looking forward to their arrival and having a chance to use them. I still have quite a few Polsilver tucks remaining and plan to continue to use them, but it's good to have choices.

Last edited:
I can't tell Polsilver from myriad other middle of the road blades. For those who think otherwise if the Moroccan distributors (obviously much smarter than consumers) have already made Wizamet more expensive than you'd like, note that Gillette Platinum and the Green Super Stainless have virtually the same sharpness and durability profile per objective testing at refinedshave.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've enjoyed every shave I've ever had with a Polsilver blade. They work really well for me and I definitely consider them one of my personal favorites along with GSBs and a few others. I recently bought some Astra Superior Stainless blades after reading recommendations from @FarmerTan, @RayClem, and @lak611 in different thread. I just checked the description of the blades and see they are manufactured in Saint Petersburg, Russia for Gillette UK. Now I'm really looking forward to their arrival and having a chance to use them. I still have quite a few Polsilver tucks remaining and plan to continue to use them, but it's good to have choices.
Yes, those Polsilver blades are hard to beat.

I really am amazed that most folks prefer the Astra SP to the SS.

But I think the SP becomes the SS after the second shave. Must be the coating on the SP that my face doesn't agree with. The GSB is always a good shave, but gets better for me after the second one.

Weird.

Cult.
proxy.php

FarmerTan

Cult.
proxy.php

Dude: where did you find that?!? Priceless my friend! First I pee my pants over Owen's pic of a raccoon riding a wild boar chasing a possum, and now this! Life is good.

The man looks like Rich Little!

Yes, those Polsilver blades are hard to beat.

I really am amazed that most folks prefer the Astra SP to the SS.

But I think the SP becomes the SS after the second shave. Must be the coating on the SP that my face doesn't agree with. The GSB is always a good shave, but gets better for me after the second one.

Weird.

I am one of those who greatly prefers the Astra SS to Astra SP. With my tough beard, ASP blades are not sharp enough to give a comfortable shave, especially on the first shave. They do become better, but not enough where I would consider using them routinely. I could use them if that was the only thing available, but I would not enjoy doing so.

Astra SS blades are significantly sharper for my beard. The price of the SS blades is not significantly different than SP, so I would choose SS every time.

I understand that my beard is significantly tougher than most, so I love the sharpest blades, those even sharper than Astra SS, but I could use Astra SS without difficulty.

Gillette Silver Blue blades are good as well. I certainly prefer them to Astra SP, but not to Astra SS.

Wonderful find. Great photo. I'm sure I won't be the only one to "borrow" it, shamelessly.

Happy shaves,

Jim
You might have to point out to some younger cult members that that's the Reverend Jim Jones not Rich Little. Gotta feeling this went over some folks heads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avi

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You might have to point out to some younger cult members that that's the Reverend Jim Jones not Rich Little. Gotta feeling this went over some folks heads.

Including mine.

Cult indeed. Back when I lived in San Francisco I can recall the church having an excellent* reputation I can also remember a man trying to get me to attend the church. Fortunately I wasn't interested and avoided being recruited.

Happy shaves,

Jim

*From reading about the church today, not even counting how things ended up, I have no idea why its reputation would have been excellent. Nothing I read today did anything to convince me it was excellent by any standards in any way. That's just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

Including mine.

Cult indeed. Back when I lived in San Francisco I can recall the church having an excellent reputation. I can also remember a man trying to get me to attend the church. Fortunately I wasn't interested and avoided being recruited.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I was in high skool when he was serving KoolAid, lol.

But ya gotta admit, he looks like Rich Little about to do a Roast with Dean Martin!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
If you can maximize the number of shaves vs. a cheaper blade then they may not be that expensive. More expensive per blade, yes, but on a per shave comparison maybe they are closer in cost than the price per blade. Some expensive soaps and creams are no more expensive per shave than less expensive soaps and creams if the expensive tub yields more shaves.
I use a blade for ten shaves no matter what it is. Lately I've been on a Lord kick.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I was in high skool when he was serving KoolAid, lol.

But ya gotta admit, he looks like Rich Little about to do a Roast with Dean Martin!

I'm not sure who Rich Little is or was. Dean Martin I know of (and remember as very talented).

I'm not one to know jack about most popular culture beyond the seventies or even the sixties. I can thumb through People magazine and recognize not a single person and find nobody I want to know anything about.

Thead Hijacking by Chan Eil Whiskers.jpg

Shameless touting my new book. The photo is an older edition.

Top Bottom