What's new

Pol Silver

If you can maximize the number of shaves vs. a cheaper blade then they may not be that expensive. More expensive per blade, yes, but on a per shave comparison maybe they are closer in cost than the price per blade. Some expensive soaps and creams are no more expensive per shave than less expensive soaps and creams if the expensive tub yields more shaves.

That's a common marketing approach: offer 2 count of an item at discount and send everybody in the email list a notification.
Simply unsubscribe!

If you can maximize the number of shaves vs. a cheaper blade then they may not be that expensive. More expensive per blade, yes, but on a per shave comparison maybe they are closer in cost than the price per blade. Some expensive soaps and creams are no more expensive per shave than less expensive soaps and creams if the expensive tub yields more shaves.
Lotta ifs and maybes there. Nope. Polsilver is not the MDC of blades. Sucker born every minute. Been a good run for the distributors.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

What’s the big deal? They had some, ran low on stock, and let their buyers of these blades know that if you want some you’d better get them because they’re about to be gone and won’t be restocked. And the buyers must have done, because now the store doesn’t have any to sell anymore. Clearly the price was worth it to the buyers. Hell, if people can drop $15 for a couple ounces of soap or scented alcohol aftershave then nobody is required to buy the cheapest blades they can find either.

I do not carry the Polsilver flag nor am I making a case for their price any more than I would be justifying the price of MDC or any other "top tier" soap or cream. Polsilvers do not need to be the MDC of blades. It depends on which blade you are measuring against shave vs price per blade. It's not rocket science its just math.

Bottom line math or no math if you like them you are going to pay the price. They're not making anymore Fatboys either, but they sell for more than some think that they are worth.

I read this thread yesterday and by some miracle chance someone in Bulgaria is selling 141 packs of Pol Silver. Are they something unique? Were they the best at some point?
1591567188159.png

1591567201328.png

Polsilver blades are good blades, but are they worth $28/50 blades when other can be had for $10 per 100? I have a few of them, but they are not my favorite blades. Thus, I am not taking the bait.

Looks like they’re sold out, although I wouldn’t have been a buyer at $28 for a 50-pack...
When I first said this I should have added that Polsilvers are one of my 2 favorite blades (along with Gillette Platinums). So while I wouldn’t have been a buyer at the price, it’s not out of a comparison to what a 50 or 100-pack of a different blade would cost, because as others have said value is relative with any number of shaving products. It’s just more of a price than I personally would have paid, especially since shipping would have been on top of that.
They are awesome blades though, and whoever bought them will hopefully enjoy them a lot.

Naaah these are for a good price, half that. I might buy some, but my feathers just arrived so I'll try them first! :laugh:

Polsilver blades are good blades, but are they worth $28/50 blades when other can be had for $10 per 100? I have a few of them, but they are not my favorite blades. Thus, I am not taking the bait.

nope because you can get 250 for $45, sometime less on the bay.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
... from Wizashave (in Morocco). :thumbsup:

1591792006499.png

Are those blades the same as Polsilver?

At the moment the Morocco vendor has 'em for $29.99 (100 blades). The reviews are interesting to read and worth reading if you're considering the blades.

There are several vendors on eBay selling actual Polsilver SI blades, too.

It does appear the making of Polsilver SI blades may have ceased. That's long been a rumor as has been discussed before (endlessly), so maybe it's a rumor now. I don't know.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg

In any case considering how long a Polsilver lasts me I'm likely to already have a lifetime supply. On the other hand, I could run out, and that's a scary thought. For me, no other blade comes close to the Polsilver SI, but I've not tried every blade made and not the one you mentioned, Cal.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I used PolSilvers for 75% of my shaves for 4 years until this year. Now, I have been using AC-style (Blackland Vector) 80%+ of the time the past 3+ months, but I also bought Wizamets in February from the Morrocan website linked upthread. That being said, I can tell no difference between the Wizamets and PolSilvers in my admittedly minimal use. I still have PolSilvers in my stash, and when/if my AC obsession subsides, I'll try a longer term comparison.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
TMK, yes Jim.

There are many Wizamet threads, but the Wizamet Super Iridium, real or not? thread seems to be the most comprehensive one (with recent information).

Due to that thread I purchased a 250 blade box of them. :crazy:

Very cool to hear about this. I have fewer than 400 Polsilver SI blades having used a few and given away more.

PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg

I sometimes replace one because I feel like it. Only once or twice have I replaced one because it had lost its mojo. My impression is they go forever if you want them to.

Probably I should do an Excalibur Club...My current Polsilver has been used exactly three times.

Depending on how long Polsilver blades actually last (which I don't know for sure) I'm not likely to need more blades, but I know for sure there's no blade I've tried I like as I do the Polsilver SI.

I'll ponder the matter. I'm avoiding buying things more than I used to.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom