What's new

Pocket watches

I'm in the market for a reasonably priced pocket watch. Any suggestions, ie brands)? I had one years ago. Yearning to carry one again.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Some years ago I had a climbing accident and buggered up my left wrist doing self-arrest. I've had some pocket watches since I was a kid, so being temporarily unable to wear a wristwatch was not a major problem. A few years earlier I'd picked up a watch on my travels to celebrate defending my Ph.D. dissertation (successfully :rolleyes:).

Your decision tree will be centred on "reasonably priced," looks like. :) I'm not sure what you consider "reasonable" but a couple of the watches I have wouldn't fit that rubric, but they're special. I have a gold Tissot that Mrs. Hippie bought me while in Switzerland, and a gold Hamilton that my maternal grandfather was given at age 21 in recognition of regular church attendance, temperance, and avoidance of tobacco. (At which point I think he pretty much hung up being a good boy.)

The watch I bought myself is a quartz movement installed in a case and embellishments from Montana Silversmiths. Living a rather active life, it's a good fit. So that's one option. The other, which I use more often because it's attached to my farmin' jeans, is a Timex Expedition wristwatch attached to a "saddle" I made for it.

It'll be interesting to see what options are suggested!

O.H.

Some years ago I had a climbing accident and buggered up my left wrist doing self-arrest. I've had some pocket watches since I was a kid, so being temporarily unable to wear a wristwatch was not a major problem. A few years earlier I'd picked up a watch on my travels to celebrate defending my Ph.D. dissertation (successfully :rolleyes:).

Your decision tree will be centred on "reasonably priced," looks like. :) I'm not sure what you consider "reasonable" but a couple of the watches I have wouldn't fit that rubric, but they're special. I have a gold Tissot that Mrs. Hippie bought me while in Switzerland, and a gold Hamilton that my maternal grandfather was given at age 21 in recognition of regular church attendance, temperance, and avoidance of tobacco. (At which point I think he pretty much hung up being a good boy.)

The watch I bought myself is a quartz movement installed in a case and embellishments from Montana Silversmiths. Living a rather active life, it's a good fit. So that's one option. The other, which I use more often because it's attached to my farmin' jeans, is a Timex Expedition wristwatch attached to a "saddle" I made for it.

It'll be interesting to see what options are suggested!

O.H.
I've been shopping around and I seem to be coming across the very cheap and the very expensive and I am surprised at the gaudy designs of pocket watches, e.g those carried by high priestess types and chief wizards. I'm old school and am searching for a plain, but classic face with actual numbers not weird symbols. Call me crazy.
Price is not a big issue, but I have learned from past experience that my watches tend to take a beating, get lost or stolen, so something that I wont shed a tear over if lost. Middle range $100 to $300.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've been shopping around and I seem to be coming across the very cheap and the very expensive

Yeah, seen that. Mostly I find things that are either "I don't want to buy this" or "I can't buy this." :)

You can build up a Montana Silversmiths watch for about $150. Hunter style, quartz, stainless case good to three metres underwater, rhodium plated chain and your choice of a large selection of medallions and figures for the lid. It's not something I worry about too much if I'm carrying it.

After a few years mine quit. Sent it back to the factory and they offered to replace it for free. I told them the figure on the front (Remington's "End of the Trail") had some meaning to me and I'd appreciate the original figure being preserved. So they did, put it on a new watch and sent it out to me.

I remember some woodworking supply houses used to have little pocket watch inserts one could put in a turned wooden backing. Also looking on Etsy for "pocket watch saddle" may turn up some interesting options for you.

Then you get the additional struggle of finding pants with watch pockets, unless you're into wearing vests with watch pockets. :) Wranglers are awful in that regard especially if you wear a belt. Big Bill and Carharrtt have great watch pockets.

O.H.

I did some looking. This looks good.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I think most people use an iphone for that purpose, with the added benefit of giving you the weather, restaurant reviews and allowing your significant other to find you no matter where you think you're hiding.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
On eBay there are some very reasonably priced Girard-Perregaux pocket watches (and some extremely expensive ones). I inherited one from my great grandfather. Now well over a century old it still keeps excellent time.

I still have an LL Bean pocket watch bought late 80’s. They sent a free replacement once when it accidentally went through the wash.
Good solid watch, quit carrying it for years when
i realized I was to concerned about time and began wearing a carpenter's tool bag again.

I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of my vintage Elgin railroad watch. I bought it for a price within the range the OP mentioned.

Attachments

• IMG_2113.jpeg
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2112.jpeg
    IMG_2112.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I had several vintage RR pocket watches. All were accurate enough to meet railroad standards. I only have a few left now as I thinned things out about 10 years ago. Only have four wristwatches - all automatic mechanical movements.
102_0209W.jpg

102_0210W.jpg

102_0211W.jpg

102_0212W.jpg

My favorite is this circa 1912 Hamilton 952. It was re-cased in stainless steel around the end of WWII.
20240602_Ham952f.jpg

20240602_Ham952mv.jpg

Top Bottom