What's new

plenty of blood, but not from my face

I am in week 2 of my transition from DE to straight. I did 7 days with a BlueBeard shavette (with Feather blade), and all was well although with more weepers and nicks than I'd hoped. I've now done shave #2 (one WTG and one XTG/ATG in some parts) with a reconditioned 4/8 straight. Decent shave, nowhere near BBS yet, and only a small weeper here and there (below ear and on side of mouth).
Where I *do* draw some serious blood is on my finger - right index finger yesterday and left one today. Plenty of blood!
I found the culprit.
First, with this 4/8 "trainer" straight my finger is closer to the blade than with a deeper one. But more than that, the blade has been honed around the corner of the heel and a bit into the shoulder(see photo). My index finger doesn't have to move too far along the tang for it to hit that sharp corner and without too much index finger pressure - a slice happens. See photo.
Note also: there are also no jimps.
Lesson #1 - when I'm ready to buy, go for 6/8. And look for jimps.

Has anyone else had the same experience with straights like this (see photo for "Tested XX" stamped on shoulder, which is the brand name??)

Attachments

• 20190320_112740.jpg
    20190320_112740.jpg
    867.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190320_112825.jpg
    20190320_112825.jpg
    637 KB · Views: 29
Some razors are smooth, slippery beasts. I tried out a Klaus Tornblum once, just getting it stropped was a chore in itself, my hold also kept slipping toward the edge. It just takes time and attention like anything else.

How are you holding it, that your index would get bit? I’d think it’d be your thumb more than anything.

Keep up the good work! (And watch those fingers!)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Never have had that problem but I will offer this: always wear some form of shorts while shaving and NEVER attempt to catch a razor if it slips from your grasps.

Have some jimping added? I have one of mine that is destined for it. Not due to cuts but simply for better control. You can easily dull that heel’s achilles edge, as well. (Sorry to repeat-I missed @Clay S comment on it)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Never have had that problem but I will offer this: always wear some form of shorts while shaving and NEVER attempt to catch a razor if it slips from your grasps.
Have some jimping added? I have one of mine that is destined for it. Not due to cuts but simply for better control. You can easily dull that heel’s achilles edge, as well. (Sorry to repeat-I missed @Clay S comment on it)
I am in week 2 of my transition from DE to straight. I did 7 days with a BlueBeard shavette (with Feather blade), and all was well although with more weepers and nicks than I'd hoped. I've now done shave #2 (one WTG and one XTG/ATG in some parts) with a reconditioned 4/8 straight. Decent shave, nowhere near BBS yet, and only a small weeper here and there (below ear and on side of mouth).
Where I *do* draw some serious blood is on my finger - right index finger yesterday and left one today. Plenty of blood!
I found the culprit.
First, with this 4/8 "trainer" straight my finger is closer to the blade than with a deeper one. But more than that, the blade has been honed around the corner of the heel and a bit into the shoulder(see photo). My index finger doesn't have to move too far along the tang for it to hit that sharp corner and without too much index finger pressure - a slice happens. See photo.
Note also: there are also no jimps.
Lesson #1 - when I'm ready to buy, go for 6/8. And look for jimps.

Has anyone else had the same experience with straights like this (see photo for "Tested XX" stamped on shoulder, which is the brand name??)
I’ve never cut my thumb shaving but often do honing. The 4/8 is my very favorite razor and gives me my quickest and closest shaves so don’t think of them as training blades. They are too often underrated.

Thanks to all.
Regarding placing of index Vs thumb....it was for cutting along jawline and across chin with razor vertical, scales straight out (and not at 90 degrees) thumb up top and other 3 fingers (excluding little finger) along the underside where the jimps would be (index closest to blade of course). Which raises an interesting question. Should I always have my thumb on jimp side, even when wanting the razor to be vertical? In this case, I'd have to go along right side jawline with left hand and along left side jawline with right hand. I'm competent to use left hand for shaving left cheek (I'm right-handed), but very uncomfortable to use my left hand to draw the razor along jawline from under right ear. Getting the angle correct on such a move is a challenge.

I’m an ambidextrous shaver so, in tandem with the strokes I’ve come use regularly, my fingers are almost always on the top of the razor (spine side) or on the sides. Thumb stays on the bottom or side.

F

ffourteen

My fingers never get that close to the blade… also, how do you cut yourself honing?

(see photo for "Tested XX" stamped on shoulder, which is the brand name??)

Tested XX, is Case Brothers, Little Valley, New York.

Try real hard and see if you can make out some printing on the side.
There's a good chance that the printing might just be all gone.

Top Bottom