What's new

please share amazing quotes and wise words

As a disabled person, I can say, that brought tears to my eyes.

That was not my intention, but the gentleman I spoke of was one of the top 10 most interesting people I ever met. Like I said he was able to accomplish what he did because his parent told him you can, can't was not in your vocabulary.

Also, for some reason, the Ron White story about the strong man who wanted to show how tough he was by tying himself to pole in the middle of a hurricane. "It is not that the wind is blowing, it is what it is blowing. You might be able to stand up to a 100 mph wind, but not to a VW bus carried by that wind!"
Can confirm. Been through some cyclones (hurricanes). The vast amounts of debris flying around at high speed is what does the real damage.

1711202581116.jpeg

A sales rep that I was working with got fired. He would call other reps and customers complaining that he was unfairly let go. This went on for weeks and everyone was at loss on what to do.

A customer finally told him: Look this sucks but it’s like stepping in dog crap. You can wipe your feet off and move on or track it around and smell it forever. Get over it, take this as a learning experience.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My Father: Changing jobs is ok to better yourself, just make sure you have a written offer on hand. Also, never quit the job you currently have until you have another job.

I can’t tell you how many times I have seen people get angry and quit, only to realize they should have had another job. They put themselves in a horrible financial position.

Positions that are verbally offered may be rescinded. Get a written contract.

Sort of like the first law of wing walking, "don't let go of what you've got ahold of until you get hold of something else!" A good rule for life in lots of respects.
I passed that saying from my Dad to our sons. Our oldest is a computer programmer.... He got fired from his first 3 jobs I think... because he'd been hired to analyze and fix problems the companies were having.... He got frustrated with the owner in each 3 cases and told them off.

The "sad" part? He got much better paying jobs after each time he got fired for speaking the truth in a very untactful way (according to him).

That sort of shot down that theory. We joke about it because he did remember what I'd taught him. He's had his current job for a few years now. He's a digital nomad now. He and his wife are living in various European countries at the moment.

I passed that saying from my Dad to our sons. Our oldest is a computer programmer.... He got fired from his first 3 jobs I think... because he'd been hired to analyze and fix problems the companies were having.... He got frustrated with the owner in each 3 cases and told them off.

The "sad" part? He got much better paying jobs after each time he got fired for speaking the truth in a very untactful way (according to him).

That sort of shot down that theory. We joke about it because he did remember what I'd taught him. He's had his current job for a few years now. He's a digital nomad now. He and his wife are living in various European countries at the moment.
Both my sons are in tech and it’s a different world. One was potentially going to Singapore then Covid changed that. The other one is in charge of releases. They work crazy hours at times and it seems like they always have opportunities with other companies.

I guess the words of wisdom is tech lets you write your own ticket if you are in the right position.

When I was programmer,
that was typically what engineers did instead of getting raises.

Not so much getting fired,
but changing jobs was the most common way to get more money.

Last edited:
Clarke's Three Laws.

The laws are:

When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Top Bottom