What's new

Platinum blades

Dear all

is it correct to say that platinum blades are more efficient for thick beards or beards with more than 3 days of growth ?

tks

No. I have a very dense and barbwire-like black beard. And quite often I prefer the Stainless steel blades that have no platinum. As a rule 99% of the Platinum class blades struggle a bit with my whiskers and I have to use aggressive razors with them.

I find they last longer and pull less as a rule, but that depends on the blade. I have always preferred platinum coated blades, but not everyone does.

I have thick black hair also. I've found a hair that connects mustache and goatee almost thick as a strand from a omega boar brush. I also admit in some areas my beard isn't very dense. I tend to grow what some call a neck beard. Overall I really get along with platinum coated blades and get horrible shaves with stainless steel blades.

I have no idea if my bears hairs are thick or not, but I do know I tend to prefer platinum coated blades over stainless steel ones. That said, I can usually get some really good shaves out of stainless steel blades, but they tend to wear out faster than platinum blades for me.

That said, the blade I've liked the most so far (and has lasted me the longest) claims to be titanium coated. Whether it actually is, I don't know. But I do know my shaves with those blades have been fantastic and the blades lasted through more shaves than any of the platinum blades I've used.

Gents thank you for the guidance

purpose of my question is that I am a beginner and I am testing several samples of blades to limit my future purchases up to a max of 3 to 5 blades.

3 to 5 blades so I can have solutions for my daily shaves using the close comb (I have se sensitive skin in the chin area) and for my open comb when I occasionally have a beard with multiple days of growth thus more resistant.

finding the ideal blades is an headache

best
thank you

Have you tried buying a sample pack of blades either from Amazon or from a razor blade vendor? That could help you identify what works best for you.

Also, keep in mind that not all "platinum" blades are made the same. Some blades will be smoother, sharper, or last longer than others. I've bought Lord Platinums and Asco Platinums. Both are made by the Lord company and both worked well for me. However, in my experience is the Lord Platinums were smoother and lasted longer than the Asco Platinums. Not that I didn't get a good shave with the Asco Platinums (because I still got good BBS shaves with them). It's just that the Lord Platinums were better for me.

Of course, blades are very much a YMMV thing. Some people hate platinum blades and much prefer stainless steel blades. Some of these folks have thick beards. Others have thin beards. I'm not sure there's really a way to determine what blade will work for each individual except through trial and error.

I shave with both Stainless and with Platinums and I find the Stainless is sharper and gives me less irritation.The Stainless blades last a shave or two less than the Platinums ....The Astra blades are a good example of that.But overall these are my findings and I have over 3500 blades of all brands......The ZAZA PLATINUMS BEING THE MOST TERRIBLE BLADE PRODUCED! Some shavers are slightly irritated by platinum but not enough to change their shaving habits .....I am one of those.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Aren't we all a bit different........ I do not like most of the Platinum blades, find them irritating. Naked SS blades are better for me and a few polymer coated might increase the longevity........

Aren't we all a bit different........ I do not like most of the Platinum blades, find them irritating. Naked SS blades are better for me and a few polymer coated might increase the longevity........
No such thing as naked stainless steel blades. All stainless steel blades have PTFE (aka TEFLON) at least. The platinum blades have platinum for corrosion resistance and hardness and chromium for strenghtening the platinum, since if only platinum is applied, the abrasion forces from the beard are removing it from the stainless steel. Here you can read the patent for Gillette Platinum-Plus apllied for in 1969 and granted in 1972. On page 3 it describes the process in detail. Platinum and chromium are applied by sputtering, and later a polylmer (like PTFE) is added to the edge by curing.
Basically all modern stainless blades (stainless, super stainless and platinum) have polymer coating. The polymer is not added for longevity, but for decreasing pull, easier cutting. It is a patent from the late 50s and was first implemented with a silicone coating on a carbon blade (the Super Blue blade).

Have you tried buying a sample pack of blades either from Amazon or from a razor blade vendor? That could help you identify what works best for you.

Hi,

i recently started testing lots of blades samples using the following method:

1 - platinum blades with an OC and with 4 days of bear growth

2- remaining blades with a close comb and with 2 days bear growth

1st round I use use the blades for 1 shave to identify the blades that are more efficient and comfortable for my skin

2nd round - i will use the preferred blades multiple times to see how many comfortable and efficient shaves they provide.

also i try to identify the blades that are more efficient in my stubble areas (chin + jaw) specially my chin that it sensitive to irritations

you are right blades is subjective. I hated the BIC blades but after using them with the king gillette with 2 days growth they become my favorites - but not with 4 days growth and a OC

Thank you
best

Another vote for trying a blade sampler or three!

The best way to determine what works is to try blades for yourself! Trying blades is part of the fun!!
:a29: :a29:

doing that

sadly god only allows me to shave once per day. The ideal would be 2 shaves per day - 3 on weekends - so I can test all blades faster

and finish all soaps / Creams so I could buy more

Hi,

i recently started testing lots of blades samples using the following method:

1 - platinum blades with an OC and with 4 days of bear growth

2- remaining blades with a close comb and with 2 days bear growth

1st round I use use the blades for 1 shave to identify the blades that are more efficient and comfortable for my skin

2nd round - i will use the preferred blades multiple times to see how many comfortable and efficient shaves they provide.

also i try to identify the blades that are more efficient in my stubble areas (chin + jaw) specially my chin that it sensitive to irritations

you are right blades is subjective. I hated the BIC blades but after using them with the king gillette with 2 days growth they become my favorites - but not with 4 days growth and a OC

Thank you
best
If that's how you usually shave, then it sounds like you've worked out a plan. But if you usually shave everyday, you may want to test the blades that way.

Good luck!

I have found some platinum blades to be super sharp and others to be less so. Likewise, stainless blades can be super sharp or less so.

As for favored platinum blades: BIC Chrome Platinum, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black), Personna Platinum (Israeli Reds now made in Germany), Dorco Prime Platinum STP301, SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum, Rapira Platinum Lux, King Gilllette Platinum.

As for favored stailness blades: Gillette Permasharp Super, Gillette Nacet, German Wilkinson Swords, Astra Superior Stainless.

I also like Durablade Sharp Titanium blades, but since this is titanium coated, it does not quite fit in either of the above categories.

One of the few platinum coated blades that does not work for me is the Astra Superior Platinum. Unlike its stainless counterpart, I find it to be rather dull.

Top Bottom