What's new

Planning a California trip with the wife

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've been to San Fransisco. Freaky!! You've got to go to China Town. The food is amazing there. Also check out the wharf. It's not to far from China Town....take a trolley car. The wharf has fresh seafood and artisans that play music. If your lucky you'll have a mime follow you around.

If you get a chance while you are in San Francisco, go to the Cliff House restaurant on Point Lobos Avenue. The view from the dining room at sunset is incredible; from what I can recall, the food was very good too.

Enjoy your trip!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've been to San Fransisco. Freaky!! You've got to go to China Town. The food is amazing there. Also check out the wharf. It's not to far from China Town....take a trolley car. The wharf has fresh seafood and artisans that play music. If your lucky you'll have a mime follow you around.
I am not sure I want that kind of luck :lol:

If your in San Fran....head to Moe's in dog town....its probably the best burger youll eat in your life....been there for 3 or 4 generation's...you wont be disappointed.

Yosemite doesn't close, it's open year round... and can actually be much more beautiful with the snow and fog and ice all playing together with the bright mountain sun. That said, most of the park is inaccessible once it starts snowing, and at those elevations that can easily happen in October. The roads in can get dicey too, if you're renting a car tell the agency where you're going and they'll make sure you have an appropriate AWD or 4WD vehicle with snow rated tires - it's a common request and they'll be ready for you.

In 'n Out is a weird local tradition. It's not everyone's favorite style of burger, but everything there is fresh-never-frozen, cooked to order for you, not prepped or warmed up ahead of time. Very high quality ingredients, they take fantastic care of their staff and have great a great social conscience. Very California ;)

Watch out for Highway 1, it'll probably still be closed due to floods and washouts. However, it would still be worth jogging inland to the 101 and hitting up Paso Robles for wine country, San Luis Obisbo, Pismo Beach and up to Hearst Castle for an amazing tour, and the parts of Big Sur you can reach are still worth it.

ItsTaz has recommendations that are spot on. I could have actually written that response. If you get to the City (SF) go to Firenze by Night in North Beach. Order the Papperdelle Toscana and thank me later!

Yosemite doesn't close, it's open year round... and can actually be much more beautiful with the snow and fog and ice all playing together with the bright mountain sun. That said, most of the park is inaccessible once it starts snowing, and at those elevations that can easily happen in October. The roads in can get dicey too, if you're renting a car tell the agency where you're going and they'll make sure you have an appropriate AWD or 4WD vehicle with snow rated tires - it's a common request and they'll be ready for you.

In 'n Out is a weird local tradition. It's not everyone's favorite style of burger, but everything there is fresh-never-frozen, cooked to order for you, not prepped or warmed up ahead of time. Very high quality ingredients, they take fantastic care of their staff and have great a great social conscience. Very California ;)

Watch out for Highway 1, it'll probably still be closed due to floods and washouts. However, it would still be worth jogging inland to the 101 and hitting up Paso Robles for wine country, San Luis Obisbo, Pismo Beach and up to Hearst Castle for an amazing tour, and the parts of Big Sur you can reach are still worth it.

True the parc doesnt close but the road in and out does sometime in october till about june when the snow leaves. Also please be aware that there is no cell phone service in the parc so if you get into trouble in there in the off season when the roads are closed you will be on your own......please please check the parc web site before you make the treck there..it is truly beautiful and worth the drive but safety first!!

I seriously cannot thank you enough for your input gentlemen. We have all of our places booked and ready.

I'm so excited.

One last thing. I read that it's not recommended to go down into the small private beach at Mcway Falls. However, it's almost irresistible to not climb down to take pictures next to the 80ft waterfall.

Have any of you guys gone down there?

Surprised no one has recpmmended.....

Highway 49. Follows the gold route

California State Route 49 - Wikipedia

Highway 49

Free and full of all that is great about California

Read Twain's Jumping frog of Calaveras county as you will be going through Angels Camp on US 49.

If you get close to Solvang, hit the Andersen's split pea soup factory and Restaurant.

Pea Soup Andersen's Inn

A trip to northern Calif. Is not complete without a ride on the skunk line between Willits and Ft Brag through the redwoods.

Skunk Train

There's much more if you want to hear more.

Last edited:
Nothing says California like In-N-Out Burger. I get both the Animal style Burger and Fries...you only live once. Enjoy planning your trip and do not forget to do the Cable Cars. As for restaurants, I will second the Casanova's in Carmel.
plus their shakes. no meal is complete without it....

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The last time I was in California was in the early 80s when my parents took the family to Disneyland for spring break. What really struck me was the fresh-squeezed OJ served at every breakfast no matter where we ate (usually something like a Denny's &c.) I wonder if they still do that?

The seal that followed us was much more entertaining.

proxy.php

We did LA (overrated) rented a car and drove up the PCH spent the night in Carmel and then continued on to San Fran. San Fran is awesome! Napa was pretty cool but pricey.

PCH is a must do!

We did a similar trip about 12 years ago with our son who was 2 at the time. Started in San Diego for about 3 days, moved on up to LA for a night, then up to Santa Barbara for another 2 nights with my wife's sister, then drove all the way to Carmel By the Sea for 2 nights, stopping in Monterey and Half Moon Bay for the Aquarium and a bite to eat respectively. Then all the way to Sonoma for a couple nights. Ended up in San Francisco for 4 nights. One of the best trips we've ever taken.

Top Bottom