What's new

Planning a California trip with the wife

We want to go in October, and we're planning on going to Yosemite national park, big sur and maybe a few other spots.

Probably going to book an Air BnB.

So i'm looking for affordable but enjoyable destination spots (cities, restaurants, beaches, etc.)

Places that are dog friendly?

Last edited:
In Yosemite go to the Mexican restaurant El Cid, they've good food and margaritas. Do a wine tour (Napa, Sonoma). Visit Alcatraz.

So eat, drink and drink and end up in prison.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
come here on vacation go home on probation :em2300:
if you like the ocean we have a Beautiful one with a road hwy1 that has amazing views

Yes sir, we plan on going to Yosemite, san Francisco, Monterey, carmel and big sur. Will definitely be driving on the 1 to enjoy the scenery

We want to go in October, and we're planning on going to Yosemite national park, big sur and maybe a few other spots.

Probably going to book an Air BnB.

So i'm looking for affordable but enjoyable destination spots (cities, restaurants, beaches, etc.)

Places that are dog friendly?

Welcome to California! I know it's a bit premature, but still, lol.

We had heavy rains this last winter and I believe Hwy 1 is still closed along Big Sir. This page may help, Highway 1 Conditions in Big Sur, California, but please be sure to do additional research since I'm not totally up to speed on that part of the coast.

Carmel By The Sea is one of my favorite places and it's very dog friendly. I'm there several times per year. I hope you enjoy it as much:

This is a great place for Mediterranean food in Carmel, Dametra Cafe - Carmel, CA
and it isn't expensive (for California).

This one is good too and has really cute outdoor seating out front, PortaBella - Carmel, CA.

For nice French ambience, Casanova - Carmel, CA. Ratings are a bit lower and it's somewhat pricey.

Want to hit a deli? Fifth Avenue Deli & Catering - Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA

There are many good/great restaurants in Carmel. Yelp would be a good tool to find the places you might like.

If you drive north up Hwy 1 from Carmel and Monterey you'll hit Santa Cruz:

Care for a cookie? These folks make great ones! Pacific Cookie Company - Santa Cruz, CA

How about an amusement park just off the beach that has a 100 year old roller coaster? http://yelp.to/qTKq/O536X0KsQF

If you go to the one above, you can talk a nice walk on a street just above the ocean, W Cliff Dr, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. Beautiful houses on one side and the ocean on the other with surfers in the water.

Continue north on Hwy 1 about 15 minutes and you'll hit a tiny town, Davenport. Hungry? Need fresh baked goods? Whale City Bakery Bar & Grill - Davenport, CA. The patio in the front can be a great place to sit when the weather is glorious since the ocean is right across the Hwy.

I'll post some others suggestions later today.

If you're going to Yosemite, I recommend San Jose too. It's a great half way point to San Fran/Oakland and to the beautiful sites you'll find in Monterey and Santa Cruz. Take a drive around the 17 Mile too.

Nothing says California like In-N-Out Burger. I get both the Animal style Burger and Fries...you only live once. Enjoy planning your trip and do not forget to do the Cable Cars. As for restaurants, I will second the Casanova's in Carmel.

When October....Yosemite closes in late October because of snow....you may want to check the parc site for info.

Now if you going north from San Fran head for the RedWood forest or at least the Avenue of the Giants...you cannot visit Cali with visiting the trees!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nothing says California like In-N-Out Burger. I get both the Animal style Burger and Fries...you only live once. Enjoy planning your trip and do not forget to do the Cable Cars. As for restaurants, I will second the Casanova's in Carmel.
We finally got some here a few years ago. I am "meh" on them. MrLara and I both have Whataburgers available to us :)

We finally got some here a few years ago. I am "meh" on them. MrLara and I both have Whataburgers available to us :)
Tell em oc!!

I didn't want to insult in n out, but i only ate there twice. No fast food place here in Texas beats whataburger. I mean maybe they taste better over there. But If they taste the same from the texas ones, i'm gonna respectfully pass.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Tell em oc!!

I didn't want to insult in n out, but i only ate there twice. No fast food place here in Texas beats whataburger. I mean maybe they taste better over there. But If they taste the same from the texas ones, i'm gonna respectfully pass.
My father left Texas in 1996 or so. When he drives down, the first place he stops when he crosses the border is Whataburger. They must put something addictive in them :lol:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Tell em oc!!

If you ever get to Waxahatchie, go to Pop's Burger. They have the best burger I have ever had. Pop was there the last time I was, and he said my granddaughter was an angel- pretty smart guy :)

If you ever get to Waxahatchie, go to Pop's Burger. They have the best burger I have ever had. Pop was there the last time I was, and he said my granddaughter was an angel- pretty smart guy :)
Love a good burger! Will check it out.

If you're ever in burleson check out myrtles burgers, very good.

Top Bottom