What's new

Pistol accessories. Semiautomatic

I purchased my first semiautomatic pistol today, a S&W SD9VE.

I'm already thinking about adding either a red dot sight or a flashlight - or both.

I didn't buy it with intentions of home defense. It is more for casual target shooting and perhaps one day to carry.

With that in mind I think I'll get the most use out of a red dot sight.

I'm curious what others think of adding accessories to semiauto pistols? Do you select the accessory to best fit your needs (makes most sense) or do you prefer to leave them as is?
perhaps the best part of ownership is to "trick it out". So what say you?

that looks like a rebranded SW40VE.

I had one about 4 months worst trigger EVER. I hope they fixed that. anyway, i added a light to mine

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
The TLR-2 is probably the best laser/light combo I've ever owned. The springs in your magazine will eventually settle down - mags will get easier to load.

Agree with the iron sight comments, I really like the TruGlo TFO (Tritium Fiber Optic) sights. The Tritium is great for low light/ no light situations and the fiber optic are great outside and at the range.

Agree with the iron sight comments, I really like the TruGlo TFO (Tritium Fiber Optic) sights. The Tritium is great for low light/ no light situations and the fiber optic are great outside and at the range.

I'm a fan of fiber optic sights for a range gun also.

This is my work gun.
$100_0430.JPG

I am a third shift cop so the light is a must.
The Trijicon HD sights are easy to find and I am accurate with them.

I pretty much change out the sights on every pistol I own.
Getting older, the front sight is harder to see.
I can see a big orange dot though.
$100_0317.JPG

Hanging stuff off your handgun just because is silly.
I've shot a few pistols with a Leupold Deltapoint or Trijicon RMR sight on them.
It takes some getting used to and I didn't shoot any faster or better.

With your pistol it would cost more to mill the slide to put a RDS on it than you spent on the pistol.
I would consider adding a light if it was your nightstand gun.

because if I were to be in a situation at night I only want to haft to pull the trigger and not worry about activating a weapon mounted light

Myself, I couldn't use night sights because at my age my focal depth of field at night was so short that all I could see would be 3 large, fuzzy, glowing blobs.

That's why I went with the Crimson Trace Laser Grips. The laser comes on when I take a shooting grip, and I can see that red dot perfectly. In the unlikely event of a failure, I'm no worse off than if I hadn't installed them. Over the years, I've acquired enough control that I can align the firearm before activating the laser, and it's on for only a split second before the much brighter flash of a .45.

With the exception of adding a Harris bi pod and a scope to a T/C contender I have never "ticked out" any pistol for a good reason. If I bought it and shot it many times and it did not fit my needs it was sold/traded for something that worked for me. It may be interesting to have a pistol with cool stuff added but is it practical for your actual situation?

Myself personally when I buy a new handgun the first thing I buy with the pistol itself is night sights. I am not a big fan of accessorizing my pistols because I carry them daily and less gadgets=less parts to fail and also a smaller profile for comfortable carry. I suggest getting yourself a good flashlight to keep by the handgun, but for me at least I don't like lights on my gun because if I were to be in a situation at night I only want to haft to pull the trigger and not worry about activating a weapon mounted light or the possibility of a failure. I do spend alot on holsters and carry rigs to find the best and most comfortable carry option for me. I also have extended magazines for range use , and on my 1911s I switch out the factory mags for Wilson combats. Learn the gun bine stock at first, if you have any doubt you might change the stock sights to some tritium ones I say do it now to get accustomed to the sights on the gun.

+1

Top Bottom