What's new

Pistol accessories. Semiautomatic

The Uplula is really a nice tool. That and a decent range bag are a good start. I prefer to store my handguns in a Bore Stores sleeve so that might be something to check out. The pistol rug is a good idea too - if you end up with several handguns the rugs take up a lot less room in the range bag than the factory cases. Maybe some snap caps so you can practice trigger control.

IMHO I'd hold off buying anything else (sights, trigger kits, lasers, etc.) until you've gotten some range time in.

I would just throw some night sights on it, or a big dot sight (if you want to use it for carry). If you want to get something on the rail, a light or laser. I'd stay away from the red dot mostly because its just not that kind of weapon IMHO.

IMO, you need to have some spare mags, lots of ammo, a few critical spare parts like recoil springs, and a good comfortable holster that works for you.
I know some shooters like red dots and flashlights, but you should concentrate on the above items first, then get proper training, and practice as often as you can.

Forgot to add a good cleaning kit...you will need that!

I would get a trigger upgrade kit, I have the same weapon and that trigger pull is super hard for target shooting

I am going to echo a bunch of the others and recommend the trijicon night sights. A worth while investment for low light. Makes sight acquisition and proper alignment much faster. If you want a light or laser go with a combo or just the light. Get a light with momentary on. I like streamlight. Personally I don't find lights causing much of a tactical disadvantage.

More ammo first, a couple extra magazines second. If I had to get something for the rail, a light. I've rarely ever wanted to use a laser in the dark but a flashlight takes the cake. If it's essential you know what/who you're shooting in the dark, then a light will do that for you. Without a light on the rail I'd keep a flashlight nearby. In a house with 4 other people in it, 3 of them little ones, no shots would ever be taken without complete certainty of the target.

Range bag and nothing until you put 1000+ rounds through it.....only you will know what you like/want

IMO, you need to have some spare mags, lots of ammo, a few critical spare parts like recoil springs, and a good comfortable holster that works for you.
I know some shooters like red dots and flashlights, but you should concentrate on the above items first, then get proper training, and practice as often as you can.

Forgot to add a good cleaning kit...you will need that!

Everything he just said. Plus buy ammo in bulk, 500 or 1,000 rounds at a time. You will never regret it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You say you're mainly interested in your new gun as a range toy as opposed to concealed carry, but maybe some day. I propose that all gun owners need to get more serious about self defense regardless of their primary interest. As you live in TN, you should look no further than Rangemaster in Memphis. Training here is unsurpassed, IMHO. It will serve you well no matter what your interests in firearms. You will learn more about your gun and equipment, what works and what doesn't, what to get next, etc. than any online opinions. You'll save a ton of money not buying range toy crap that doesn't work or is counter productive to your eventual goals.
http://www.rangemaster.com/

I seldom if ever put a lot of resource into any of my handguns. Over the years I have found that for my purposes (daily carry) they work pretty well as the factory designed them. There are two exceptions:

Grips and holsters...

Both components are often overlooked in the big picture it sometimes seems.

Ergonomically correct grips are paramount; but one can still have it both ways. Here are two of my routine carry pieces, each with aftermarket Tulipwood grips. Tulipwood is one of my favorites as it is the State tree of Tennessee (my 2nd home).
$IMG_0415.jpg

Spend your money on ammunition and shoot your new pistol using your stock sites until it becomes second nature.

Frank

This 100%.

You need a crap ton of ammo and practice before modifying the gun or spending money on accessories IMO.

You could spend a ton on accessories only to find out that you don't even care for the gun.

Assuming you are an entry level shooter.
take professional instruction.
buy a great set of ear muffs, and a molded set of ear plugs, wear both
ammo, lots of ammo ( save your brass, for future reloading)
if you don't have a free place to shoot, get a membership to a range.
join a competitive shooting league, you will learn a lot from them (preferably bullseye)
be open to suggestions to improve your shooting
don't waste money on the latest wiz-bang crap, focus on the basics, Breathing, Sight picture, Trigger control
DRY FIRE ( after you have verified twice the gun is safe and all ammo is locked away), every day for at least 20 minutes

al from colorado,
NRA instructor, Bullseye master class, and trained daily for 4 years at the Olympic training center

If your going to get an accessory I would get a flashlight Forsure maybe a laser flashlight combo but don't rely on the laser. Practice with the iron sights and be consistent and profiecent before anything.

+1 on the Iron sights vs laser. The laser is for use ONLY when you can't see the sights. The only time you should need the laser is in the dark, or if you have just come out of the sunlight into a dim interior, and your eyes haven't adjusted.

Most of your laser practice can be dry firing in a dim room. With a laser, your major task will be to learn how to keep the laser from dancing all over the wall. With practice, you can steady it down a lot, but the first time that you try to sight with a laser, your shakiness will scare you.

Myself personally when I buy a new handgun the first thing I buy with the pistol itself is night sights. I am not a big fan of accessorizing my pistols because I carry them daily and less gadgets=less parts to fail and also a smaller profile for comfortable carry. I suggest getting yourself a good flashlight to keep by the handgun, but for me at least I don't like lights on my gun because if I were to be in a situation at night I only want to haft to pull the trigger and not worry about activating a weapon mounted light or the possibility of a failure. I do spend alot on holsters and carry rigs to find the best and most comfortable carry option for me. I also have extended magazines for range use , and on my 1911s I switch out the factory mags for Wilson combats. Learn the gun bine stock at first, if you have any doubt you might change the stock sights to some tritium ones I say do it now to get accustomed to the sights on the gun.

Top Bottom