What's new

Pipe Sniffing

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Does anyone else like to sniff their empty pipes every once in a while? Even when I haven't been smoking as much for the past few years, I would still sporadically give a wiff of the chambers of a few of my pipes just because I liked the smell. I'll also do it sometimes when I'm debating about what type of tobacco I'm in the mood for, or which pipe I want to use after I've decided on a blend.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Never sniffed them, but have on occasion done an empty-bowl clench and cold draw. Is that even stranger?

I'd say so. 😆 I don't really get anything out of the empty clench cold draw. It doesn't give me a true flavor or indicator of what the pipe is about. My sense of smell might be more acute than my sense of taste though. Also, the smell of unlit tobacco was what drew me to pipes in the first place. So, while the taste can be great, the aroma might be a more enticing factor for me.

Yes. And I also smell the tobacco in the pouch/tin when I open them.
I LOVE the smell of tobacco! A bit weird perhaps but I don't care.

Years ago, I had a work buddy who's mom would buy an ounce or two at a time from a local shop to place around the house as potpourri. They weren't smokers, but she just liked the smell.

When I'm not smoking regularly, I can smell just about every jar and a lot of the tins that I have. I'm usually amused when I catch myself, and think about how funny it would look if somebody saw me sniffing a bunch of jars and tins.

Top Bottom