What's new

Pipe clubs?

Just curious how many of you guys are in a regular pipe club. What are your thoughts on them? San Diego allegedly has one, but it is essentially dormant. I just saw a facebook announcement about the Los Angeles Pipe Club meeting next week, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth two hours each way in transit.

There's a somewhat famous one about an hour away from me in Philly (Christopher Morley Pipe Club). I just haven't been able to convince myself that it's worth the drive.

We aren't a pipe club but we get together two or more times a week to drink whiskey and smoke pipes and or cigars.

There is another across town that meets once a month, charges admission, gives out a sample and they talk about it. I haven't been to it. They always meet after the monthly brunch shift and I don't feel like trying them out.

My guys meet at a cash bar, smoke out the covered and warm patio on Sundays , I'd rather hang out with them.

I am lucky to have had two great resources to help me along with pipe smoking, this place and the Conclave of Richmond(VA) Pipe Smokers. Like any other social gathering, it helps if you like the people but you won't know that until you go a few times. I enjoy having a "reason" once a month to get out, have dinner and a beverage (or two), enjoy some fellowship and have a few bowls to boot. At our gatherings, if you bring a tin and set it on the table, it's an invitation for others to have a sample. I've gotten to try many blends that way as well as experience some rare and aged tobaccos.
So I guess count me in the "pro" column. Sure there are as many qualities of experience as there are clubs. At least give it a shot.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I’m in the Portland Pipe Club. It’s a good time. Monthly meetings, usually 10-15 in attendance. Social meet ups with some of the other club members between meetings. Guys bring lots of stuff to sample, they sell old tins and pipes, a couple of pipe makers are in the club and show off and sell their wares, and a local tobacconist and a blender attend attend, a pipe repairer attends as well. Pretty active and well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
While I like the idea of socializing with those of like mind, my inner introvert stops me from joining any. :)

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
While I like the idea of socializing with those of like mind, my inner introvert stops me from joining any. :)

Made me think of this

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CORPS also coordinates some ad hoc events.For instance, day or overnight trips to Boswell's, the TAPS show in Raleigh, NC, etc.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
There's a pretty good one in Houston, but I've yet to attend. They meet on a Friday evening/night when I always seem to have one or two other things going on, typically something family. They don't meet very far at all from my house, so I really need to get my butt over there sometime.

There was one over at my local CI. I went once, but there wasn't much socializing...we were basically presented with a live Tsuge commercial and given a discount on Tsuge pipes. I didn't go back. Not sure what I expected or even wanted but that wasn't it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The Brown Leaf is the closest thing to a pipe club within 100 miles of me.

There is a cigar club that was formed a few months ago that meets once a month at a little pub type establishment in town. A local "smoke shop" has started carrying premium cigars and they provide cigars to discuss at the meets, the cost of which is covered by the fee to attend the meetings. I'm not into cigars though.

I wish there was a tobacconist near here; some of the ones I've been to in Tulsa and Dallas had some nice smoking rooms...leather chairs and couches, big screen T.V., etc.

The Brown Leaf is the closest thing to a pipe club within 100 miles of me.
That's my present situation. My tobacconist is great, and I'm grateful to have one so close, but there is no functioning pipe club in San Diego. The meeting place for this LA Pipe Club is about 100 miles away. I've sent an inquiring DM to try to determine whether this is a worthwhile investment of my Sunday.

There are none in my area that I know of, but since I'm not a joiner I don't care. We have a local shop that we congregate at, but it's not a club. I actually like to sit in my man cave and enjoy smoking in peace and quiet.

Top Bottom