What's new

Pinaud Clubman... Quite possibly the best smelling AS I have ever used.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I love :w00t: how Clubman smells...so crisp and fresh. The scent always takes me back when I was a little boy (back in the days [1960's] of 'ol'e time' Barber Shops w/ leather straps attached to the of the Chairs...for the Straight Razor customers)...after getting a fresh haircut ('high & tight'), and getting a 'splash' of Clubman and a scalp massage. Simply Bliss :lol:

Also, I fondly remember my beloved and dearly departed Father :001_rolle splashing' Clubman on his face after a DE shave at home.

Now that I'm a 'Big Boy' & all 'grown-up'....my scent of choice is Clubman Special Reserve :thumbup1:

Thanx :thumbup:

Christopher

I love Pinaud...the smell takes me back to a barber shop in a small rural town in Iowa. I would visit for the summer and those trips to town are some of my favorite memories.

Clubman "Classic" AS is one of the greatest ever with it's heart in the beginning of the French perfumerie tradition. Along with 4711 from Cologne, which is worth researching on its own, is Ed Pinaud whose lemon, lime and orange tones formed the aftershave traditions reaching from France to New York in the late 19th Century. Along with the famous Lilac Vegetal (created for the Hungarian Cavalry), which is my favorite, is Clubman "Classic" from the court of Napoleon III to which Pinaud was perfumer. Some may say these are cheap variations with little real resemblance to the originals but I still love them and I'd rather wear something by one of the originals for $5 than one made by a modern poseur for $50. Every one of them is great by the way, including: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island's Bay Rum, Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve, Clubman "Classic" Aftershave, and Pinaud Lilac Vegetal (all of which I own and are in my rotation.) I have tested all the rest but SWMBO is miffed about space in the WC. BTW there's a Clubman fan group on here but I can't figure out how to join so if somebody could help me out with that I'd be greatly appreciative. Lilac Vegetal is amazing and is a must try. I still can't understand how something in a bottle can smell exactly like a fresh picked Lilac.:thumbup:

Er ... 4711 :001_huh: is not that great in comparison with R&G Jean Marie Farina and the Original Farina .

See a lot of comments about how Clubman reminds them of their fathers, lucky. My father is a Brut man, I have fond memories of sitting side by side with him in tuxedos in front of the bathroom mirror before my oldest sisters wedding passing around a bottle of his Brut cologne for the first time, but I was a kid then. My nose has since changed and although Brut DOES remind me of my father I can't bring myself to actually use it. Way too over powering, lingers way too hardcore. I picked up a bottle of Clubman the other day and couldn't help but think if he would have just picked this up BEFORE he picked up the bottle of Brut, using my fathers favorite aftershave would mean SOOOO much more to me. Since Clubman is like Brut, but less over powering with a hint of powder, but man does it make a difference.

My first sniff out the bottle had me wondering if I had just wasted $5, and if you guys were nuts. After using it only once, I knew I found my new AS, and yes, you guys are still nuts..:lol:

Man, I'm starting to understand how the guys who can't get results with Williams feel. :001_huh:

All this genuine love for a scent that did nothing for me...a storied, "classic barbershop scent".

The Veg? Check. Bay Rum? Check. Old Spice? Check. Tabac? Check. Eau de Quinine? Check. Special Reserve? Check. Aqua Velva, Ice Blue and Musk? Check.

It's not like I'm not comfortable with old school scents.... :blink:

Maybe my bottle was bad, but the descriptions here seem to fit it pretty well. Brut - ish but more powder and less pungent.

Oh well. I think I'll douse myself in Special Reserve to drown my sorrows.

Man, I'm starting to understand how the guys who can't get results with Williams feel. :001_huh:

All this genuine love for a scent that did nothing for me...a storied, "classic barbershop scent".

The Veg? Check. Bay Rum? Check. Old Spice? Check. Tabac? Check. Eau de Quinine? Check. Special Reserve? Check. Aqua Velva, Ice Blue and Musk? Check.

It's not like I'm not comfortable with old school scents.... :blink:

Maybe my bottle was bad, but the descriptions here seem to fit it pretty well. Brut - ish but more powder and less pungent.

Oh well. I think I'll douse myself in Special Reserve to drown my sorrows.

That's 100% what it is Brut with powder. The only reason I like it just a little is like I said my dads a Brut man but Brut is WAY too over powering. So it just kind of reminds me what he uses, without being able to smell me a mile away.

This is one of only a few scents that I get steady compliments on. The only complaint I have is that it is extremely harsh on my skin so I can't use it very often. It will definitely let you know if you messed up a shave.

This is one of only a few scents that I get steady compliments on. The only complaint I have is that it is extremely harsh on my skin so I can't use it very often. It will definitely let you know if you messed up a shave.

I got my first bottle a few weeks ago and I'm in love with the scent. I tend to only use it on non-shave days to avoid that harsh burn. I shave 4 times a week so I still get 3 days of Pinaud olfactory bliss.

See a lot of comments about how Clubman reminds them of their fathers, lucky. My father is a Brut man, I have fond memories of sitting side by side with him in tuxedos in front of the bathroom mirror before my oldest sisters wedding passing around a bottle of his Brut cologne for the first time, but I was a kid then. My nose has since changed and although Brut DOES remind me of my father I can't bring myself to actually use it. Way too over powering, lingers way too hardcore. I picked up a bottle of Clubman the other day and couldn't help but think if he would have just picked this up BEFORE he picked up the bottle of Brut, using my fathers favorite aftershave would mean SOOOO much more to me. Since Clubman is like Brut, but less over powering with a hint of powder, but man does it make a difference.
Good post this. My dad, too, was a Brut man, as well as English Leather. I have the latter in my rotation but not the former. Our mutual barber always splashed on the Clubman after a cut and straight razor clean-up, as did most of the barbers I went to after that, hence my love of Clubman. It doesn't hurt, either, that my fiancee loves the smell of it, as well as that of AV. My Grandfather, whom I adored, was an OS man, and that is in my rotation as well. FWIW, I've also added Skin Bracer AS splash. I guess I'm just an old soul.

I love the way it smells. So does SWMBO. I love the way it feels. And, I'm not kidding about this, it does wonderful double duty as a mosquito repellent. Perhaps because it has citronella listed as an ingredient.

Last night, the skeeters were really biting outside. I remembered reading your post and grabbed my bottle of Clubman. Rubbed some all over my arms, legs, and neck. End result.....no more skeeters.

Either Clubman really does repel them or skeeters are fans of Old Spice. :thumbup:

Top Bottom