What's new

Pimp my Wapi -- again

If that's a throw, it's like comparing a pea shooter to the space shuttle:w00t:, that is superb! What tool do you use for the engraving?

Kind regards,

Another Wapi I pimped with new scales. The scales are Purpleheart and the spacer is white marble acrylic. The hardware is my first attempt at making my own pins with washers from microfasteners. The finish is 12 coats of CA which is my favorite finish so far. I really like the depth and gloss.

Boy do I love tha purpleheart wood. I have used it for other things and it sure looks sweet on your razor....

What tool do you use for the engraving?
It's not really engraving. It has been electronically etched in with a contraption that sees through a linen type of material with the design on it. There are two electrodes. One is hooked to the blade and the other to a metal grid wrapped with a gauze type material and soaked in an etching solution. A DC current is used to "cut" the design and it's followed by an AC current to turn the etch a darker color.

Here is a place where you can learn more, and here is how to make your own machine. The only thing I don't like about Etch-o-matic is their stencil material. It creases too easily and the crease will also leave a dark mark on the blade. After I finish spending a few hours putting on the right "brush" finish on one of my blades, an errant mark really puts a kybosh on the whole thing. I have searched in vain to find anyone who will sell stencil material other than these guys. So, if any of you know where I can get some, please clue me in.

It's not really engraving. It has been electronically etched in with a contraption that sees through a linen type of material with the design on it. There are two electrodes. One is hooked to the blade and the other to a metal grid wrapped with a gauze type material and soaked in an etching solution. A DC current is used to "cut" the design and it's followed by an AC current to turn the etch a darker color.

Here is a place where you can learn more, and here is how to make your own machine. The only thing I don't like about Etch-o-matic is their stencil material. It creases too easily and the crease will also leave a dark mark on the blade. After I finish spending a few hours putting on the right "brush" finish on one of my blades, an errant mark really puts a kybosh on the whole thing. I have searched in vain to find anyone who will sell stencil material other than these guys. So, if any of you know where I can get some, please clue me in.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

My submission to the pimped Wapi thread. Big thanks to Thirdeye!

attachment.php

I just love this thread. I'm wondering though, what is it about Wapi's that seem to inspire this kind of treatment?

Top Bottom