What's new

PILS vs Feather SS after 1 week each

In case anyone was wondering: The Pils razor will not fit into the Feather SS stand from the Japanese version. I was hoping it would!

Agreed... but the Feather razor fits into the Pils stand. Althought it doesn't look right.

Is the Feather SS powder coated? It seems to have an aluminum like look to it and appears to have been coated... Honestly, the Pils at first glance just looks better.

Looks like the finish a non-directional from what I could find through google and wikipedia. Not sure though... I really like the 'grain' of the brushed stainless.

We'll see how the Feather SS shaves though! I must say, the feel of the handle is quite nice :thumbup1:

The bead blasting puts a matte finish into the material. It's a very durable finish - not a coating, but a physically altered finish (like knurling, but massively finer). It might appear to smooth with use, but a thorough cleansing will reveal the texture again for decades to come.

The bead blasting puts a matte finish into the material. It's a very durable finish - not a coating, but a physically altered finish (like knurling, but massively finer). It might appear to smooth with use, but a thorough cleansing will reveal the texture again for decades to come.

Thanks for the info. It's good to know it should last. Whatever they did to the head plate, they really made it glide like I haven't seen in any other razor so far (well, maybe the new Gillette Fusion ProGlide battery powered 5+1 blade monster can match it :tongue_sm)

I've been shaving with a Merkur Futur for about 1 yrs. using Personna Red Pack blades and that have been heaven. BBS every day friends. But the grass is greener...you know where I'm going ;) Two days ago I got myself a Feather SS for the wife to try. She has been sneaking around with my Futur :( Fair is fair right? I've tried the Feather twice using the Personna blades. The Feather is one heck of a well made piece. What I like about it is how the blades load and most of all how thin the head is allowing deft movement in tricky spots like under my schnozzola!! I'm very happy with it's manuverablity. The shave is not nearly as close as my Futur on setting 3....same soap, same brush blah blah blah. This is not as aggressive an razor...but I LIKE IT!!! Not ready to hand it over to the MRS just yet. Before I give up, do any of the experienced Feather SS users have comments wrt comparison to the Futur (setting 3) and my experience? It just is not quite as aggressive or am I missing something?

I've been shaving with a Merkur Futur for about 1 yrs. using Personna Red Pack blades and that have been heaven. BBS every day friends. But the grass is greener...you know where I'm going ;) Two days ago I got myself a Feather SS for the wife to try. She has been sneaking around with my Futur :( Fair is fair right? I've tried the Feather twice using the Personna blades. The Feather is one heck of a well made piece. What I like about it is how the blades load and most of all how thin the head is allowing deft movement in tricky spots like under my schnozzola!! I'm very happy with it's manuverablity. The shave is not nearly as close as my Futur on setting 3....same soap, same brush blah blah blah. This is not as aggressive an razor...but I LIKE IT!!! Not ready to hand it over to the MRS just yet. Before I give up, do any of the experienced Feather SS users have comments wrt comparison to the Futur (setting 3) and my experience? It just is not quite as aggressive or am I missing something?

I found the Feather SS to work much better with sharp blades (Feather, Iridium, Kai) than milder blades I tried (Astra SP, Shark SC). Don't be afraid of the Feather blade, just give it a try. I think each razor is different and it will have a different favorite blade.

I found the Feather SS to work much better with sharp blades (Feather, Iridium, Kai) than milder blades I tried (Astra SP, Shark SC). Don't be afraid of the Feather blade, just give it a try. I think each razor is different and it will have a different favorite blade.

From what I read it is not that aggressive, that's probably why it works better with sharp blades. Can not wait to try myself...

I've gotten a week of shaves in so far. I've shaved with a Futur for the past ~5 years. My take so far: worth every penny. It oozes quality, and shaves so smooth I can't believe it. I put in a fresh feather this morning, and effortlessly shaved to BBS in no time with no irritation -- even when being very careful with my Futur+Feather combo, I always feel a little burning with a fresh blade.

The quality of the razor and the shave it produces = win.

Anyone who owns both a Feather Portable and a new Feather SS care to compare/contrast the shave quality and dynamics? Obviously, I can see the aesthetic and quality differences, but I'm curious about the shave itself. I quite like the Feather Portable and recently sprung for a PILs, which is quite different than any other razor I own in terms of the way it shaves. I would consider the Feather SS, but only if the shave were substantially different from the Feather Portable so as not to be just a prettier, more well constructed version of the Portable.

The featherAS/feather blade felt much smoother to me than the portable. The head profiles look very similar when held side to side but the weight,length, and diameter make the feel different not to mention the finishes effect against the skin.

Thanks for your reviews. I am looking forward to getting a Feather. From everything I have read I think it will work better for me. Your review has helped me decide. Thanks!

I've gotten a week of shaves in so far. I've shaved with a Futur for the past ~5 years. My take so far: worth every penny. It oozes quality, and shaves so smooth I can't believe it. I put in a fresh feather this morning, and effortlessly shaved to BBS in no time with no irritation -- even when being very careful with my Futur+Feather combo, I always feel a little burning with a fresh blade.

The quality of the razor and the shave it produces = win.

Glad to see you got your razor. I must have missed the news that your razor arrived. Even happier to see you're pleased with the way it shaves.

The featherAS/feather blade felt much smoother to me than the portable.

What he said. I found the Portable to be very rough for me, no matter what blade I tried. The Feather SS is quite the opposite, very smooth no matter the blade, though I get closer shaves with sharper blades (works best for me with a Feather blade so far).

Didn't some versions of the Tech have a bead-blasted/matte Gillette logo on the cap? I wonder if this improved the shave.

It's not the same thing as the bead-blasting on the Feather Stainless, I'm sure, but all this talk of the matte surface reminded me of that version of the Tech.

K.T.

Top Bottom