What's new

back to the Pils - revisited after 7 years

Hello B&B,
I don’t stay too active with posting but I though I had an experience that might be worth sharing.

I got lucky back in 2016 , I received the Pils 101NL as a birthday gift, anyhow I used it for about a two months and liked it ok with the exception of the slippery handle.. this was the first DE i have dropped, I know now not to shake razors dry 😅, Anyway I was not too overwhelmed though the shaves were good and since im mostly using straight razors I packed it away with the thought of selling it somehow in the future. Since then i’ve moved many times and kept the Pils packed away. So now in 2023 I decide to give it a go or sell it and I can say that after re-visiting this razor either I got better or it got better. The shave reminds me of the mühle r41 in post- feeling but almost like an extreme mild version of the r41.. the weight is perfect combined with the angle which by its design is almost pre-set.. I don’t know but I think I’ll keep this one. So after the shave I had the idea to remember all the items i’ve sold or given away and I wonder, with out regret , that maybe its better to try something and then come back to it after a few years just to see if the experience can be improved, before passing the item along to another shaver.

So with the Pils the only thing I can see that maybe could be improved is the slippery handle, which for sure is a issue only when its wet or the hands are wet. Past that I think the razor is one of the more unique ones out there.

If any Pils users have found a good source on custom handles, especially in the EU, please reply and include a photo or review if you have time, its really appreciated before I go hunting on up.

Hope you all have a great day and best of luck in the hobby,
IMG_6479.jpeg

Nice! I should do the same, i.e. dig out the Pils and give it another chance. It certainly is one of the best looking DEs of all time, but I was not happy with the results -- too many nicks, too much irritation. The slick handle never bothered me as I'm pretty careful to keep razor handles dry.

While using different razors in rotation is fun, I've recently come to believe that, for me, said "rotation" should probably change every few months rather than every shave or every few shaves. I believe that I see a difference in my skill set when I do that.

I just worked a trade for a Pils 101 NE with a fellow member here on b&b. Super excited to get this razor, and hoping I have no regrets. I traded a beautiful rare vintage straight that I'll never use for it... the only straight in my collection, just so pretty too look at.

Attachments

• 20231130_105857.jpg
    20231130_105857.jpg
    753.6 KB · Views: 16
Marley machine works will make a handle for it, but it converts the razor into a three-piece rather than the unique two-piece with the spinning head, which is one of the best things about it.

I know the handle is the only negative, it requires concentration to make sure you keep it extra dry,
@kingfisher I noticed Marley Machine Works but like you said now its a 3 piece..looks like he does nice work though . Thanks for your suggestion and i might go that way if I can’t find any other options, especially in Europe.

Hello B&B,
I don’t stay too active with posting but I though I had an experience that might be worth sharing.

I got lucky back in 2016 , I received the Pils 101NL as a birthday gift, anyhow I used it for about a two months and liked it ok with the exception of the slippery handle.. this was the first DE i have dropped, I know now not to shake razors dry 😅, Anyway I was not too overwhelmed though the shaves were good and since im mostly using straight razors I packed it away with the thought of selling it somehow in the future. Since then i’ve moved many times and kept the Pils packed away. So now in 2023 I decide to give it a go or sell it and I can say that after re-visiting this razor either I got better or it got better. The shave reminds me of the mühle r41 in post- feeling but almost like an extreme mild version of the r41.. the weight is perfect combined with the angle which by its design is almost pre-set.. I don’t know but I think I’ll keep this one. So after the shave I had the idea to remember all the items i’ve sold or given away and I wonder, with out regret , that maybe its better to try something and then come back to it after a few years just to see if the experience can be improved, before passing the item along to another shaver.

So with the Pils the only thing I can see that maybe could be improved is the slippery handle, which for sure is a issue only when its wet or the hands are wet. Past that I think the razor is one of the more unique ones out there.

If any Pils users have found a good source on custom handles, especially in the EU, please reply and include a photo or review if you have time, its really appreciated before I go hunting on up.

Hope you all have a great day and best of luck in the hobby,View attachment 1757531
Is your razor similar to the IKON SBS razor? Is it flippable? If so, I wonder if the shaves would be similar. The IKON has a Bull Dog handle on it at the moment, great grip. Just out of curiosity, what blades might you use in the Pils?

You can get rubber O rings at most hardware stores and small enough so they'll just fit on the handle. Do a series and space them bit and no more problem. Plus they won't harm the finish.

If I remember correctly - it’s the most slippery razor I have ever used
I don't think you're remembering correctly, or part of mass hysteria lol.
I've seen all of these "slippery is the only negative posts" and call bs.
I used mine last night, and purposely used a wet soapy grip and couldn't get it to slip through my fingers if I tried. If you try to loosen your grip enough to let it slip it'll flop over before it slides. The balance is so perfect, short of just letting it go, I don't see how there could be a problem.

Attachments

• 20231218_014255.jpg
    20231218_014255.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 17
I recently got a Pils. I haven’t had much issue with the handle grip - I expected it to be more slippery than it has been. But to try it out I wrapped my handle with 1mm paracord and this works pretty well. I’m sure I could have done this more neatly but it was my first attempt after watching a couple of kamisori handle wrapping videos.

4B222FBB-3EC3-4204-A7FD-9DB1D88515F0.jpeg

Hello B&B,

Hope you all have a great day and best of luck in the hobby,View attachment 1757531
On my Pils, I bought a ballpoint pen/pencil grip and slid it on the handle. It adds negligible weight and provides great grip even when wet.

A package of 12 of these will run around $5USD.

Attachments

• 61iODD1rS3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61iODD1rS3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 6
I recently got a Pils. I haven’t had much issue with the handle grip - I expected it to be more slippery than it has been. But to try it out I wrapped my handle with 1mm paracord and this works pretty well. I’m sure I could have done this more neatly but it was my first attempt after watching a couple of kamisori handle wrapping videos.

View attachment 1765844
Nice surprise, didn't know you bought a PILS!
How do you like the shave? (mild, aggressive, smooth, etc..)
Comparable to anything you've got?
I've always wanted one since I started wet shaving and never
have committed. Just recently I've been reading through all the PILS threads!

Figured I'd post this here (Pils specific thread) even though I posted it in my journal as well!
I ordered the Matte finish 101NE 5 days ago and it arrived today from Germany. Beautiful!
I'll be shaving with it tonight:
That's the one I have, and yes it sure is a looker!

I'll be interested in your thoughts after trying it out.

I'll be interested in your thoughts after trying it out.
I posted my first shave results last night in my journal:

Top Bottom