What's new

PILS Razor Review: ÜberBling, but does it Sing?

Dex...those glue dots bother me too...have been putting them on the base-plate ever since I noticed they cause the darn blade to stick to the doors if they're facing up...very irritating.
I found I had a bit of epoxy--like glue to wipe off the razor, even tho most had been initially scraped off the blade. The Super Thins in contrast have only minimal glue, which wipes off easily.

Will stick with the Iridiums...I'm really liking them...they seem to work well in all my razors...did you sell that #16 of yours?

Will stick with the Iridiums...I'm really liking them...they seem to work well in all my razors...did you sell that #16 of yours?
I did, as it was sitting, unused and forlorn.

The Iridium is perhaps my favorite blade to use in the Pils--it is just so smooth, and so consistent.

I used my new Pils for the first time today (with Trumpers Lime creme and a Bic blade). Based on this single data point, my view is that the razor is very nice and a good performer, but not transformative. I'm certainly not tempted to sell off the rest of my collection like some others. The head is very heavy compared to the handle, so the balance is a bit tippy, like a hammer. The blade is also flatter in the head than on most other razors, so that the angle of attack is steeper (handle more perpendicular to the face) than for most other razors I've used. Others have mentioned that they have found the optimum angle difficult to locate and that the razor bites at other angles. I did not find that to be a problem. While the right angle is atypical, the geometry of the head and the way it rests on your face make the right angle pretty apparent. Only if you try to artificially force a more typical, shallow angle will you have problems. I suppose that if you do, you would be trying to drag the blade across your skin with the edge pretty perpendicular to the skin, which would tend to cause scraping, skipping and irritation. I found I had more of a tendency to occasionally make the angle a bit too steep, which, due to the shape of the head, makes the edge loose contact with the skin. I had to go over a few spots that got "skipped" at the very beginning. This may be the ultimate no/negative pressure razor. The weight of the head combined with the weight/handle balance and the steep angle make the head positively fall down your face. I found myself pulling back more than pressing to slow things down and keep the right angle. I did not try an upward ATG pass yet, but I'm thinking this may me tricky given the tendency of the razor head to want to "drop." The aggressiveness of the razor is hard to calibrate. With the right angle, it feels mild and effortless, but it shaves very closely on each pass like a more aggressive razor. In that sense, I did find the razor to be exceptional - its reduction per pass to smoothness ratio is possibly higher than any other razor I've tried - like a dialed-up Vision that feels like a Super Speed. This is also with a very middle of the road blade - hopefully it will be even better with a sharper smoother blade like an Iridium or Astra SP. I did end up with a very nice, irritation-free shave after two passes, using a blade (Bic) that I have not generally been impressed with in the past. All in all, it was a fun and successful experience, but I suspect I would not have had a successful outcome if I were a beginner sticking to conventional wisdom. This is not a beginners razor. I suspect a lot of newbies may spend a lot of $$ and be disappointed/frustrated with this razor.

Do you know that I hate you, gentlemen ? :-D
I've contracted a severe RAD today, and I've decided to buy a PILS.
I've just transferred the money to PILS Gmbh...
Sigh :) :)

PILS Razor Review: ÜberBling, but does it Sing?

In a word: YES! Thanks to BayRum, I was able to pick up the 101NE. I'll probably add a lot of this to a review after I've had a little more time with it, but for now, I just wanted to blurt out a few thoughts after shaving with it twice.

1. I, too, started with the Super Iridium. I'm a Feather man, but I wanted to start with a milder blade with this new razor. It is a completely different blade in the PILS than in any other razor I've used - I feel like I got the most out of it. I'm going to have to re-try blades I've previously dismissed as "not for me" with this razor.

2. I've never met a finer razor in terms of build quality, fit and finish. I haven't tried the Feather stainless - I like the style of the PILS better. I have never used a heavier razor that I can recall - it's a heavy hunk of metal. In a good way.

3. For some reason, it grips far better than I expected. Perhaps the brushing is like super-fine, micro knurling. Anyway, wet or dry, easy to hold.

4. The angle is very different. It's the antithesis of the Progress, which is very acute. The PILS is very obtuse - nearly flat. That said, it makes for a great shave. I think the able and the weight are complimentary.

I unloaded a handful of razors in order to replenish my wetshaving budget after this purchase. I can honestly say that I won't be re-buying any of those razors any time soon. In fact, I probably have a couple more to sell. So, put me with Dex on this one: It's just that good.

I am not sure you how you will rate the quality of the job. To say that one is better than the other is going to be personal preference. Having proper technique with either razor will yeild comparable results. I think when it comes down to it though, the Pils will be less fuss. It is going to be the razor you throw in a blade it and go. Pils will be a little less maintenance, less worry about the material.

The only razors you might line up are the ones that will end up on BST. That was my situation, which also included a Futur. I had a close to a dozen different types, and the Pils was the one I stuck with.

I think your evaluation approach is good. I would give yourself some time with the Pils first and learn the angle and such that works for you. Then do the eval against the Futur.

So Solar... when are you going to join the club hehe.

I thought I was through when I got the Feather. And really, my Muhle and two Merkurs and EJ Chatsworth do a wonderful job.......I just see myself getting the Pils Hammer and stand anyways. Its going to happen, SWMBO will give me the gears when the mail comes in, and then hopefully the dust will settle for a while. It has to........

My Pils arrived in the post today. I have three Merkur blades left in the pack, and I will use them on the Pils to get used to handling it, and also to get a sound comparison between it and the Futur on the same blades, so far, the only DE blades I've ever used.

Once I'm satisfied with my proficiency with the Pils, I will use it to begin an evaluation of the 13 different makes of blades I got from West Coast Shaving.

It truly is a thing of beauty...

Nice pictures!

Well, I am still shaving with mine, and it has not let me down once. Tried going back to the Krona, and I just cant get as good a shave.

Another thing I found out: The Astra Platinum is an outstanding blade in the Pils. I have never gotten a good shave from one, and the blade blew me away when used with the Pils.

So with the new variable of a Pils vice a Futur, I am undecided which razor to begin the evaluation protocol with. I think I may have just doubled the length of the evaluation process. Perhaps start with blade X in the Pils until it is dull, then put another of the same blade in the Futur and see how it compares. It will be interesting to note how the blades work in different razors. But, I'm going to have to also be keeping an absolute "best shave" score to ultimately determine which razor/blade combination is going to give the best shave.
Sounds like a good way to approach it.

There really needs to be a North American tour for a PILS like the one that's currently going with the Feather Stainless, I need to try this thing out!

Hard to imagine a head that's heavier than the Futur, which seems to just fall down the side of my face.

The Pils looks like the Hammer of Thor in pix (nice pix Metatron by the way), yet everyone seems to report no issues with the control of it.

I can't afford more acquisition disorder........

Hard to imagine a head that's heavier than the Futur, which seems to just fall down the side of my face.

The Pils looks like the Hammer of Thor in pix (nice pix Metatron by the way), yet everyone seems to report no issues with the control of it.

I can't afford more acquisition disorder........

I did raise some issues of balance and control in my review (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155855). While I like mine and have it in my preferred rotation, I like the balance and ergonomics of a number of my other DEs better. It is, however, a great machine for producing very close shaves in a minimum number of passes without feeling overly aggressive.

I had my first shave with the Pils today and have to say it was the smoothest shave I've had since I've started 'proper' shaving - only a couple of months - I've been shaving with a British Rocket up until now, the difference is the weight of the head, the Pils just slides over the skin, there's no temptation to actually try and shave with it, which for a relative beginner like me is a big advantage, the other thing worth repeating is yes, it really is a beautifully machined tool, I have the stainless steel and the only other razor I would even consider buying now is another Pils..

Top Bottom