What's new

PIF: GEM Open Comb MicroMatic Razor w/3 PTFE Blades!

PIF for anyone that has tried DE Open Combs but not SE open combs! (I'm gonna make a SE believer out of somebody!)

This PIF is for a Brass GEM Open Comb MicroMatic with 3 PTFE genuine GEM blades ...

$pif3.jpg $pif1.jpg$pif2.jpg This PIF for the Brass GEM only.

I would rate this razor as a 6/7 out of 10 and it has been high-grade disinfected. GEM PTFE blades are individually wrapped by factory. Shipping will be First Class mail.

The rules are simple:

1) Have used DE open comb but not SE open comb.
2) CONUS B&B members only
3) Entries must be in by 12:01pm EST June 6, 2012.

All entries will be put into a container and the winner's name drawn! (Old School)

Good Luck ...

Last edited:
Very generous, but please do not count me in. Good on you for hosting these PIF's (I saw that you have another).

I shaved with an OCMM once. I promptly switched to straight razor shaving because it was safer:001_tongu

Great PIFs!

You might want to post a heads up thread over on the DE forum as most of those guys probably never stop by the SE forum.

Not in, I've already got examples of these excellent razors.

I would love to give it a try. If it does not work out, of course it goes back in rotation for the PIF.
Frank

I will have to withdraw my name. This evening I came across an SE razor, and will try it out to see if I like it or not.
Good luck to everyone else.

Last edited:
How different is an open comb single-edge compared to a safety bar? My G-Bar is one of my favorite razors, but an open-comb SE had never even crossed my mind.

Don't know if I'm eligible though, I've got a Gillette Old, but I've only used it once (and I'm not sure if you're only looking for someone who hasn't tried a SE at all). Would definitely be interested in putting this against my Old & my G-Bar for a more in-depth look.

I'd like a swing (swipe?) at it. Got a gillette "new" open comb, but I've heard good things about the SE. and same as frank, if it's not my cup of tea, on to the next member.

congrats to whoever the winner is... dont consider me, i own and really enjoy the OCMM quite a lot.

ENJOY

How different is an open comb single-edge compared to a safety bar? My G-Bar is one of my favorite razors, but an open-comb SE had never even crossed my mind.

Don't know if I'm eligible though, I've got a Gillette Old, but I've only used it once (and I'm not sure if you're only looking for someone who hasn't tried a SE at all). Would definitely be interested in putting this against my Old & my G-Bar for a more in-depth look.

You are eligible as long as you haven't tried an Open Comb SE ... closed bar SE experienced is eligible for this PIF.

sweet

as the others have said, it'll go back up if it's not my cup of tea. If it turns out to be my new favorite hotness, it looks like I'll have a G-Bar to try and coax someone into the awesome world of single-edge shaving.

That is awesome, I am in. I just got my first closed comb SE's, and my fave razors so far have been OC DE's. Thanks for the chance, I would love an OC SE.

Of course, if I slice my face to ribbons I shall re-PIF the item.

Thank you for the chance.

Im in. I just got my first two SE's today (a featherweight and a bullet tip (or is it flying wing, ive yet to clarify that)...

I am not in here- but I will tell you that the OCMM is perhaps the most overlooked outstanding shavers in the Vintage world of safety Razors! Get a really close and irritation free shave and with Ted Pella coated blades- you can get about 7 to 10 shaves.

Okay 1 week left and I have 5 eligible entries ... zirrow, Dboygoode, slugg77, prsman23 & Coda ... if you want in please post & say so.

For new GEM users, I'd like to mention a couple of items:

1) MrGuy posted a while back about making sure the SE blade is secure in the front clips of a GEM razor:

"No matter the style of GEM, I have noticed that they all should be loaded sharp side first, making sure that the blade is firmly seated in the clips. Then gently let the blade fall as it may before flipping the cap, twisting the mechanism, or pushing the button, depending on model. On some styles, like the Micromatic, when the blade is in the clips properly the spine will be slightly off the base plate before securing the top." ..... posted by Mr Guy 06/23/2009

2) Haiku posted about inserting and then removing GEM blades then reinserting them - blades can get damaged! (Personally, I put the blade in and it stays until I change it-so I have no problem with this issue.)

"One point I would add: after the blade has been held by the clips or notches that catch the front edge of the blade, that part of the blade will be damaged or notched. If you then remove the blade to rinse it for example, make very sure to put it back into the razor in the exact same position. If you don't you might expose your skin to the parts of the blade, right at the outside edges, that have been notched by the clips. I find it's easy enough to do, and I don't get scratched by the notches in any event, but that is something I would think one should watch out for." ..... posted by Haiku 06/24/2009

Good Luck to all ... Hurry and enter today!

Last edited:
About 24 hours left and I have 5 eligible entries ... zirrow, Dboygoode, slugg77, prsman23 & Coda

Time is UP on my GEM OC MicroMatic razor PIF!

There are 5 entries: zirrow, Dboygoode, slugg77, prsman23 & Coda

I place all the names in a bag and shake that bag up real good ... reach in and pull out the name of the Winner who is:

prsman23

Thanks to all who entered this PIF.

WOW!!!! Thank you!!! This is an amazing community! Such generosity is rarely matched! So a big thank you to not only Echotron, but also every member of B&B for making this place what it is!

:clap:

Top Bottom