What's new

Pictures - behind the scenes at Captain's Choice

Time for some aftershave sample vials to be filled in three easy steps, over and over and over again!

1. Fill the vial
2. Affix the label
3. Bubble wrap each one

Done!

IMG_6572.jpeg

IMG_6577.jpeg

IMG_6588.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is a look at the soon to be famous Captain's Choice photo booth. ;) We have a retractable white background screen mounted to a shelf. A table is slid underneath it, screen extended and product put into place. Natural window light in the shop comes in from the left. A piece of white foam card stock is placed on the right. It is from a local art store and is used to bounce the window light back onto the subject. I did one picture with and one without the reflector. Note the detail evident and the softened shadows in the picture it is employed with.

Then the images get edited - cropped and enhanced somewhat. Enhanced to the extent that the picture is as accurate as possible. When uploaded to the site (these here were not) there is further editing done for them to be consistent with the other images. Namely sizing and eliminating any tone to the background. We want the background to be pure white for the sake of presentation as the customer views our store right here: All Products — Captain's Choice - https://www.captainschoicestore.com/all

Fun fact: Note the images of the scuttle have a gentle tint of blue to the background. Why? That would be because it was a sunny day when the pictures were taken. That is the blue sky you are seeing there which means one thing. A cloudy day is picture day! We love the look of natural daylight rather than that of a clinical white that comes from a photo booth with spotlights. We tried that way back and it just was not a good fit for the look we wanted.

IMG_6755.jpeg

IMG_6756.jpeg

IMG_6757.jpeg

Lately we have been receiving shipments of our essential oils and fragrance oils. Here is some being unpacked and put into inventory. A good bit of this goes to the factory that does the blending and filling of ingredients for our shaving soap and shave cream product lines.

In this case today we have some of the Eucalyptus essential oil that has arrived for our newest scent that has just been released.

IMG_7100.jpeg

IMG_7106.jpeg

Next up is a shipment we received in that we use for our Venture products in aftershave, shaving soap, and shave cream. This is our take on the ever popular scent, Aventus. Wonderful stuff to work with!

IMG_7110.jpeg

IMG_7112.jpeg

IMG_7115.jpeg

You know you are keeping busy when you are always having to reorder your supplies of boxes. Here are some pics of us preparing to place our order. I always print off the items we order and then we check the supply of each one that is in stock. That helps us order all that we need and nothing else. Lately we have had to carry a bit more stock due to supply issues.

IMG_7119.jpeg

IMG_7121.jpeg

Here is a shot of our glass sample vials that we use for our aftershave sample pack. We just got a delivery of them in and most are on the shelf there. You can see in the one she is putting up on the shelf that each container has the open vials and is sealed. The caps come separately.

The shelf underneath has one box dedicated to each aftershave scent. The goal is to have pre-filled glass vials of each scent. Then it is just a matter of labeling and bubble wrapping each one. The open lid there is Sandalwood.

IMG_7128.jpeg

Next up are our shaving soap samples. Have you ever seen such a small ice cream scoop?

1. Scoop from bulk container of soap.
2. Dispense into sample puck.
3. Snap lid shut.
4. Affix label.
5. Do this over and over again until you end up with one sample pack.

(Yes, samples are labor intensive but customers love 'em!)

View attachment 1437989

View attachment 1437992

View attachment 1437990

View attachment 1437994

View attachment 1437996

View attachment 1437997
You need to put the grandkids to work 😀

We got another shipment of our leather goods in the other day. My brother actually does all of our leather work, the razor jackets and brush rolls. He is a craftsman in his own right, mainly wood carving. He also makes Windsor chairs by hand, here is his latest one as I hijack my own thread in my own sub-forum!

IMG_8483.jpeg

To see how the razor jackets work, just click here for more pictures. When we receive them it is important to apply a very thin self-adhesive pad to the screw head. This ensures that the top of the razor will not come in contact with the metal screw head.
Here you can see our employee as she applies the pad to the razor jacket in her hand. The ones on the left you can see are already done. The ones on the right she needs to do. Then they are placed into inventory, ready to ship.

IMG_7495.jpeg

Here is how we receive our brush rolls, all done. More pictures of seeing how well they protect an actual brush are right here. To protect the leather in shipment each brush roll is carefully enclosed in a paper pocket of sorts. They are put into inventory like this and when filling an order it is a simple matter of pulling the item and packing it. Here is the sequence of having the paper just so for a good fit and the rest follows:

IMG_7496.jpeg

IMG_7498.jpeg

IMG_7501.jpeg

IMG_7507.jpeg

Last edited:
How much would you pay for a bottle of beer? Would you pay $95.00? Of course not, but I pay that for something else...

The white jug is what we receive our bay essential oil in. The Red Stripe is there for the sake of comparison. Authentic bay essential oil is very expensive stuff, believe me. There is synthetic bay oil but we only use the real deal direct from the Caribbean. (Thus the Red Stripe as a prop and no, I did not write off the six pack as a business expense but I could have!) :biggrin1: Would you believe $1,100.00 for the container you see here? It is true and that is the going rate. So if that Red Stripe was full of bay essential oil you would be paying $95.00 for the eleven ounce bottle.

Using authentic ingredients is one reason that our bay rum product line - aftershave, soap, cream, and balm are top sellers.

View attachment 1422019
Now I know why CC Bay Rum AS has defined the true clean scent of Bay Rum to me. Captain, when you make a similarly true vetiver I want to be on top of the customer list.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great thread. I feel like I went through jog training. I’m ready today start on Monday captain!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We got another shipment of our leather goods in the other day. My brother actually does all of our leather work, the razor jackets and brush rolls. He is a craftsman in his own right, mainly wood carving. He also makes Windsor chairs by hand, here is his latest one as I hijack my own thread in my own sub-forum!

View attachment 1494132

To see how the razor jackets work, just click here for more pictures. When we receive them it is important to apply a very thin self-adhesive pad to the screw head. This ensures that the top of the razor will not come in contact with the metal screw head.
Here you can see our employee as she applies the pad to the razor jacket in her hand. The ones on the left you can see are already done. The ones on the right she needs to do. Then they are placed into inventory, ready to ship.

View attachment 1494116

Here is how we receive our brush rolls, all done. More pictures of seeing how well they protect an actual brush are right here. To protect the leather in shipment each brush roll is carefully enclosed in a paper pocket of sorts. They are put into inventory like this and when filling an order it is a simple matter of pulling the item and packing it. Here is the sequence of having the paper just so for a good fit and the rest follows:

View attachment 1494119

View attachment 1494122

View attachment 1494124

View attachment 1494125
I just had my second leather brush roll delivered a couple days ago... along with the very nice CC Soap Locker... both are great products. We have a trip coming up. We'll be gone for a month so I'm taking two brushes. Still undecided which ones, synth or Mistura... but either way, I love how the brushes will be open to the air, albeit the air in a suitcase... still not sealed in a plastic tube.

Edit: lovely chair, btw.... a craftsman, indeed.

It was time to label our bottles of balm today. All of the blending (of ingredients) and filling (of containers) is done and the last step is to label the product.

We have a labeling machine that we use to label our balm products as well as our aftershave products. The roll of labels sits on a spindle farthest from the operator. The blank bottle lies horizontal between two rotating rolls. A foot pedal is stepped on and it spins the container as well as spits out the label. As it spins the operator leans back to keep pig tails out of the rotating spindles. :eek2: The label sticks to the bottle and as it spins the label is secured all the way around. Then you add the finished bottle to the pile and grab the next one.

IMG_7513.jpeg

IMG_7515.jpeg

IMG_7516.jpeg

IMG_7524.jpeg

Last edited:
Yesterday we got in some more of our popular Starry Night lather bowls. The Captain had his hands full and the First Mate was tending to the bookkeeping so that means one more task for the Crew that we hired!

First she puts all of the fitted boxes together and then lines them up. A bit of shredded Kraft paper goes into the bottom, then the lather bowl goes in and finally more stuffing into the corners. The Captain's Choice logo is applied onto the top of the box and each one has a smaller sticker with the name of the lather bowl applied onto the front. When shipped, this fitted box then goes into a slightly larger fitted box, so a box inside a box. That ensures no breakage in transit.

She is a blessing to the company - diligent, consistent, good-humored, and has initiative.

IMG_7590.jpeg

IMG_7594.jpeg

IMG_7579.jpeg

IMG_7580.jpeg

IMG_7596.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You are blessed to have her working with you Captain, and I am sure you are a blessed to her as well.

Next up is a load of shaving soaps. And yes, that is a fire extinguisher mounted on the wall just in case Cat 'O Nine tails gets unruly. You can also see cases of our different aftershaves there on the shelves.

IMG_7571.jpeg

Now it is time to label the soaps. Here is a pile of our newest scent, Eucalyptus, being labeled. Pretty straight forward and she gets that label dead center on every one of them. These are all stored in secure plastic tubs by scent and go on the shelf.

If you look over her shoulder you will see open bins. That is where we pull from to fill wholesale orders going to our retailers as well as individual sales going to the end user. We have the cream and soap in the same bin - it is easiest to see from this angle with Italia. As these get used up we pop open one of the sealed storage tubs and unload it into these open bins. That ensures rotation of inventory as orders are filled.

IMG_7583.jpeg

IMG_7585.jpeg

IMG_7586.jpeg

Top Bottom