What's new

Pictures - behind the scenes at Captain's Choice

If December is busy shipping retail orders, January is busy shipping wholesale orders. That is when our retailers are getting restocked due to getting cleaned out over the holidays. Here are pictures before and after bottling cases of our Bay Rum aftershave - 14 cases on that day.

IMG_6274.jpeg

IMG_6275.jpeg

Last edited:
A project worked on today was processing the authentic slate coasters that are in our store. These are sold either singly or in sets of four and have our logo on them as seen here:

IMG_4114.jpg

We get them in by the case and to protect them in transit they are bubble wrapped. Going from left to right the bubble wrap is removed and then they are individually wrapped in brown Kraft paper. About half go into the cardboard box you see on the table and the other half go into the drawer marked "Coasters."

When an order total exceeds $80.00 the customer receives one free coaster in with his order as our way of saying thanks.

IMG_6276.jpeg

IMG_6278.jpeg

IMG_6277.jpeg

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A project worked on today was processing the authentic slate coasters that are in our store. These are sold either singly or in sets of four and have our logo on them as seen here:

View attachment 1400036

We get them in by the case and to protect them in transit they are bubble wrapped. Going from left to right the bubble wrap is removed and then they are individually wrapped in brown Kraft paper. About half go into the cardboard box you see on the table and the other half go into the drawer marked "Coasters."

When an order total exceeds $80.00 the customer receives one free coaster in with his order as our way of saying thanks.

View attachment 1400038

View attachment 1400039
A very nice gift my friend!

Coasters look great! I'll have to keep those in mind when I need to replace the ones I currently use.

Edit: My wife would like to know what is on the bottom of the coasters. In particular, she would like to know if there is cork or something else on the bottom to help prevent scratches.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Coasters look great! I'll have to keep those in mind when I need to replace the ones I currently use.
What I like about those is this: I have these wooden ones that ACTUALLY STICK TO THE BOTTOM OF MY GLASS when I pick up my drink! How is this even possible?!?

Those ones of the Captain ain't gonna do that!

Edit: My wife would like to know what is on the bottom of the coasters. In particular, she would like to know if there is cork or something else on the bottom to help prevent scratches.

Picture is from our site.

I am also pleased to announce our new "Used Coaster Return Policy With Purchase" program. Buy 1,000 of our coasters ($9.00 each so $9,000.00 total) and we will send a box postage paid for you to send your existing coasters for proper disposal. :thumbup:

IMG_4112.jpg

Picture is from our site.

I am also pleased to announce our new "Used Coaster Return Policy With Purchase" program. Buy 1,000 of our coasters ($9.00 each so $9,000.00 total) and we will send a box postage paid for you to send your existing coasters for proper disposal. :thumbup:

View attachment 1400059
Perfect, Sir. As to the return for disposal, I think I will pass. Ha ha ha. I think I will be ordering these tonight. She said we need to replace our Liberty University coasters (Go Flames!).

And the order has been placed. Thanks, Scott, for providing quality products.

Last edited:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Perfect, Sir. As to the return for disposal, I think I will pass. Ha ha ha. I think I will be ordering these tonight. She said we need to replace our Liberty University coasters (Go Flames!).

And the order has been placed. Thanks, Scott, for providing quality products.
Chris,
I have one and it is very well made. I wasn't sure about the feet on the bottom at first, but they are solid. I've been using it almost daily for over a year and it still is like new. Personally, I don't sit my coffee down, but my coffee kettle rests on it between pours at about 200 degrees.

Since I started the company thirteen years ago we have always bubble wrapped our glass aftershave bottles. They have strict shipping requirements and for good reason. The contents are liquid and flammable. So each bottle must be in its own plastic bag to begin with. Then it has to be securely wrapped to prevent breakage. This always meant bubble wrapping until a year ago.

In an earth-friendly effort to reduce the amount of plastic we use we began shipping our aftershave wrapped thoroughly in recyclable Kraft paper. I'll be transparent and say we had our fingers crossed for a good outcome. It has been a year now with no issues at all. So score one for the environment.

Before and After:

IMG_6285.jpeg

IMG_6289.jpeg

IMG_6294.jpeg

And an "after" picture of... our scuttles!

On the left are Starry Night and on the right, Sapphire. Each is made one at a time by an artisan to our design. It took months to arrive at what has proven to be a popular style for us. Stout in profile with internal ridges for dependable lathering as well as a convenient thumb rest for leverage. The external ridges serve a two-fold purpose: A secure grip and...

The external ridges make it possible for the glaze to "break" as it runs over them. This delivers results that can vary widely, making each piece one-of-a-kind. When we open up the kiln after firing it feels a bit like you are a child and it is Christmas morning - the door swings open and then you see what you get!

IMG_6300.jpeg

IMG_6305.jpeg

IMG_6303.jpeg

IMG_6306.jpeg

IMG_6307.jpeg

Last edited:
Who needs a stack of pancakes when you can have a stack of Sapphire lather bowls?

These were some that just came in along with the scuttles, above. Here you can see how the glaze "breaks" as it passes over the external ridge of each lather bowl. That ridge is not just for pretty looks though. It makes it possible for customers with different size hands to be ensured of a secure grip. Some hands will have the finger tips land between the bottom edge and nestle up against the ridge. Others with larger hands will have the fingertips go over the ridge itself. Either way that lather bowl is dependably in hand!

IMG_6308.jpeg

We have a couple of scales that we use here at Captain's Choice and this one has an interesting family connection. It was my great-grandmothers and I knew her well. She passed away in her nineties when I was a teenager. She was born in 1878, just thirteen years after Lincoln was assassinated. And I knew her - gads! Generationally, our nation is really not that old.

She was a farm wife and used this scale to weigh produce and all manner of items around the farmstead. She had a route in town where she delivered eggs and farm products to local groceries. Usually they paid her cash. Sometimes she would barter for items in the store she did not grow on the farm like flour and sugar. I have her account book listing all of the stops she made along with delivery amounts, etc. She had her own side gig going before there were side gigs!

Here is her scale, still going strong and now over 100 years old.

IMG_6328.jpeg

Top Bottom