What's new

*Pics* Loading a Merkur Futur *Pics*

I personally found it quick and easy to change the blade - but great work on the photos Joel! It's very helpful for people to just see the razor mechanisms close up.

My favourite razor after my Feather AC.

As to loading and unloading blades, I just flick the top off the Futur and drop it upside down into the palm of my hand with the old blade still in it. Pick of the old blade by the ends and drop on the new one the same way. Much the same with all my other DEs. The Feather AC's a bit more dangerous as it never seems to go in straight and I end up shoving it in by hand!

I honestly don't see why so many people have problems and manage to cut themselves with blades.

When I was in my teens, I used to help out a glazier who lived next door from time to time and his advice about glass was the same as my father's advice about dogs. If you're afraid of them, they'll bite you! Blades are just the same. Show them who's boss...

Gareth

German engineering= making solutions to non existant problems

A bit like the Vincent motorcycle then, someone once described it as: "A collection of ingenious solutions to non existent problems" If you've ever had anything to do with one you'll know what he meant; great ride though!

Re the Futur: crappy design but the best shaving razor I have used.
John.

i think the best way, would be to position your thumb on the side of the cover that has the indentation, and curl your index finger up, and use the inside edge of it to grip the other side (much like you would if twisting off a bottle cap) then pop it off... simple... and you dont have to worry about where the head is when it comes off, or where your fingers are in reference to the blade :)

I place my thumb under the indentation while holding the razor upright and gently push one half of the top off with my index and third finger lightly on the cap. With my fingers on the cap I twirl the razor around and use my thumb to gently leverage the other end of the cap off. I then use my thumb and third finger to lift off the cap and then remove the blade. I've had no problem whatsoever with this approach.

To load a blade I rest the razor between my third and fourth fingers of my right hand with the razor upright. I then place the blade on the razor (not the cap) and then place the cap (with the thumb and third finger of my left hand into position. I then place my thumb over the cap (kind of like holding a syringe) and apply pressure with my thumb to secure the cap.

No problems so far, but I am new at this.

I use a similar technique to that described by dorenhagen and haven't come close to cutting myself with this razor. I am somewhat befuddled about all bad press this razor gets because of this issue.

I use a similar technique to that described by dorenhagen and haven't come close to cutting myself with this razor. I am somewhat befuddled about all bad press this razor gets because of this issue.

Me too. I've never had any problems. Just like a three piece, there are a lot of pieces and a loose blade to keep in hand, but I don't think this is any worse. To open it and dispose of a blade, I just hold the razor head down in my right hand, with the cap resting on the flat palm of me left hand. Push the cap off into my left palm, using my right thumb. Totally harmless, but if you want to be extra careful, do it onto the counter, instead of your palm.

-Mo

No Futur, yet, but have been surgerized by a Gillette 3-piece. I found out the best way to change the blade on one is to push the head down into a folded washcloth. Then turn the handle to remove it. Reverse to tighten after replacing the blade. This way the fingers are not gebitten by the bladen. :001_smile Works for me.

I love the Future!

I have never had a problem changing the blade. I use a towel in my hand to prevent blade problems. I think it gives a great shave....far better than my old HD. I think it is very easy to use under the nose too....and it looks cool.

Now, let me tell you about the HD issues.....I sliced my fingers very very badly back in November. I was screwing on the head to the HD when the bolt broke!

The head came off and the blade went right across my thumb and fingers! The HD was broken...no chance of fixing it!

I guess I screwed the head on too tight or it just weakened over time. Bottom line, always be careful with any razor.

But, I like the Future a whole bunch.

Love my Futur. Always get great shaves from it and love the feel of it in my hand. It's also a handsome looking machine.

My technique is quite different:

1. Place towel in sink.
2. Point razor downward toward towel in bowl.
3. Pop top off razor with thumb.
4. Carefully remove old razor and place in razor bank.
5. Insert new razor whilst holding razor upright.
6. Align head on top of razor.
7. Carefully use thumb to snap top of razor over blade.

This has worked for me and I still have all my fingers. However, I still get a bit sweaty when changing blades on this model.

I can't see what all the fuss is all about? I've had mine years and never had a moments difficulty removing or replacing a blade! Those are high carbon stainless steel spring steel rods holding the head in place. They should outlast the owner with proper use. I own a Merkur HD, long handled Merkur open comb and Gillette superspeed as well as the Futur. If I had to only have one razor, it would be the Futur!
Cheers,
Martin :cool:

I have a Futur too. I'd suggest that you adjust the setting to 6 before popping the top. You'll find that the blade is not bent quite as much as it is on the lower settings. Therefore, it doesn't tend to send the top flying. Buy a Slant like I just did and your problems with changing the blade are solved.

Being a klutz to begin with, it looks like there is no Futur in my future. And I came very close to buying one just yesterday.

No Futur, yet, but have been surgerized by a Gillette 3-piece. I found out the best way to change the blade on one is to push the head down into a folded washcloth. Then turn the handle to remove it. Reverse to tighten after replacing the blade. This way the fingers are not gebitten by the bladen. :001_smile Works for me.

I wish I had read this a couple weeks ago before I got bitten. It wasn't too bad though, and it was the side of the blade, not the honed edge. :eek:

Top Bottom