What's new

Pick only one soap: what would it be and why?

La Toja. Inexpensive. Lather is right up there with the best in terms of cushion and slickness. Unique scent. It contains mineral salts unique to its region of origin (if not its manufacturing location). And it will forever remind me of family vacations to Spain...at least until the dementia kicks in!

For me out of the common soaps, it’s gotta be Haslinger Schafmilch, or kg brick Cella.

But from this thread Clearly I need to test out some Tabac!

During August I would have said Arko as I did 31 Arko shaves during the month and was perfectly content. Though lately I have been very attracted to veggie soaps.

Tabac is my favorite soap and one of three that I successfully 3017'd. I made sure I had a replacement puck before finishing it.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Tabac. The reason: its formula has not changed, it's readily available, and it is a great performer.
Exactly why I also voted for Tabac. I like GD soaps a lot, but the supply is always limited, so a good old steady performer like Tabac it is.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Mitchell's Wool Fat

1) Great performance. I'm not one of the people that "needs" to try everything, but I have tried a few, and haven't found anything that works better.

2) Great value for money. For well under £10 a puck including delivery, I get a cake of soap that will give me around 500 shaves.

3) It doesn't stink. I'm not a fan of scented soaps, as they detract from the shave. Anything that gets in the way of my awareness/attention of the shave itself, is a negative thing I my opinion, so whether it's a pleasant scent or not, if I can't ignore it, it's distracting my awareness away from where it should be.

4) Scent neutral. I can wear any post shave I want, without fear of scents clashing.

5) Confidence of availability. It's less likely to be discontinued than a lot of other soaps might, in my opinion. Though some shops do seem to be out of stock occasionally.

Tabac
great scent once you get used to it
great slick, impossible to break lather
one refill lasts me almost two years (2-3 shaves week, two to three passes)
and Connaught shaving has it for very reasonable price

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I always pick the same thing thing in threads like these. If I have to use the same soap for the rest of my life it’s going to be Barbasol shave cream.

Because sometimes I just want a quick no fuss shave. If I pick my favorite - Vintage Williams, then I’m stuck using a brush and face lathering for the rest of my life. What if one day I just want to hurry up and get a clean shaven face and get the heck out of dodge. But noooooooo I gotta fuss with a brush, and load it, and face lather because back on September 29, 2019 I said Vintage Williams was the one and only soap I would ever want to use if I could only use one. I can’t do that to my future self.

That’s why I say Barbasol Canned Shave Cream. Let’s say one day I want to take my time and use a brush. I can still do that! Just squirt the cream on the brush and lather. And if I want to hurry..I can do that too!

Pretty much anything from Murphy and McNeil. The performance for me has been outstanding. While I do look elsewhere, I always come back.

Top Bottom