What's new

~Pick ONE SOAP for the rest of your life~

Absolutely in the "Nah, I want them all" camp. But if I HAD to pick just one… hmm… Le Pere Lucien Pose de Pushkar. Probably. Or St Charles Shave Neroli… or… see the problem here?

It's a choice between the following..................

Arko Shaving Soap - Turkey
Bea Shaving Stick - Spain
Blue's Soap Goat Milk And Animal Fats From New Zealand Shaving Soap - China
De Vergulde Hand Shaving Soap - Holland
De Vergulde Hand Shaving Stick - Holland
Derby Shaving Stick - Turkey
Godrej Shaving Round - India
La Toja Shaving Stick - Spain
Lea Shaving Stick - Spain
Monsavon Bol A Raser Shaving Soap - France
Palmolive Shaving Soap - Germany
Proraso Green Shaving Soap - Italy
Proraso Red Shaving Soap - Italy
Proraso White Shaving Soap - Italy
Tabac Original Shaving Stick - Germany
Unbranded Shaving Soap - China

Short list, allowing for ease of lathering, cushion, glide, longevity, scent, value for money and availability -
Bea, La Toja and Lea, because all 3 are available locally from supermarkets
Arko/Derby, because both are readily available on eBay for a crazy low price

Overall I'd go for Derby
Money no object I'd go for Tabac Original

In order to make this decision, I'd have to try everything first - which I'm still working on!
In all honesty I'd be fine with most anything I have currently, although some have scents which you have to be in the mood for.
I will defer a definitive answer until I've had the chance to try them all - many of the answers here so far I have not even tried!

Stirling naked and smooth, why I am able to purchase many matching scented balms and aftershaves, without the worry of clashing scents

No sweat. Without a doubt I say at the drop of a hat.
$Pré de Provence No. 63.jpg

I'm not all that well qualified, having tried a fairly limited number of soaps in two years with traditional methods.
But if I had to go with one from what I've tried, it would be Ogalalla Bay Rum, Limes & Peppercorns stick.
It is just the nicest-smelling soap I've used and the lather is good to boot.

Still relatively new to soaps (I've been a cream guy for years), but in my limited experience, I would have to go with Tabac. I just got samples of Stirling, and I am ordering C&S O&C, so my answer may be different in a week or so.

For me this seems to change every few months, my tastes change kind of with the season and with the new releases from the artisan community. Right now it would be either one of the Acqua di Parma clones; Parma Inzpiration from Caties Bubbles or Piacenza from Stirling. Both are terrific and a notch above Razorock XXX.

or...

Fine Platinum soap puck. I could live with the Aventus scent for a long time.

I had to look back at my original response to this thread..I said MWF. And today...weeks later...I would have to say it is still probably MWF. Though I could be convinced to use Haslinger Schafmilch.

CRSW. .....no, it would be
Stirling....no ,
DRH Arlington .....no, erase that..
C&S ....no
CRSW .....no

Yeah, that's how I feel 🙂

I'm think Saponificio, for the first time, I wish to have all the scent under a brand. Still fighting the war to control my spending.

Reading the entire thread I'm shocked that nobody else has mentioned it yet: Le Pere Lucien - the traditional barbershop scent. It's a mild scent, but the slight waft of rosemary while I'm working up a lather just puts me in the right mood.

MWF.
Lightly scented with a classic barber shop type of aroma. Excellent slick lather and a great post shave experience.
It isn't my "favorite" soap. That distinction changes weekly, but it is a sure thing that has no weaknesses. The scent isn't something that would become irritating over time (can't imagine getting stuck with Sandalwood or Lavender for the rest of my life).
Yep... MWF it is.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
No. I would never do that. Too many great soaps, and who knows what the future holds as more and more artisans blow my expectations out of the water?

Top Bottom