What's new

Photo of the Day

Still a few butterflies out there. One is a Monarch the other is a Viceroy. Can you tell which is which?

I assume the one on the top is the monarch - it has white spots on its body. Apart from that, I am pleased to see that the asters are still blooming in your area too, like here in Germany.

Butterflies have, however, become comparatively rare here - the farmers spread too much poison. There's a shrub called buddleja, commonly known as a "Schmetterlingsbusch" (butterfly bush), which used to be full of butterflies, primarily peacock butterflies. Now, one has to be happy if on sees a yellow sulfur or a cabbage butterfly.

Cheers,

Gauthier

Last edited:
I assume the one on the top is the monarch - it has white spots on its body. Apart from that, I am pleased to see that the asters are still blooming in your area too, like here in Germany.

Butterflies have, however, become comparatively rare here - the farmers spread too much poison. There's a shrub called buddleja, commonly known as a "Schmetterlingsbusch" (butterfly bush), which used to be full of butterflies, primarily peacock butterflies. Now, one has to be happy if on sees a yellow sulfur or a cabbage butterfly.

Cheers,

Gauthier
You got it right! The easiest way to tell is the black stripes that run perpendicular to the rest. Also the Monarch is noticeably larger, especially this time of year when the Monarchs are the migrating generation. Viceroys also have a few white spots, hard to see from this angle though. Unfortunately pesticides are thinning the numbers around here too.

Also in the botanical garden on Sunday. See what I mean: cabbage butterfly on buddleja, bee on aster.
P1050057.JPG
P1050064.JPG

Playing around with vintage lenses again. 135mm f2.5 Pentax and 2-2X convertors for a total of 540mm Equivalent of 1080mm on my micro 4/3 sensor. I still had to crop pretty hard but here is Jupiter.
P1440592-2.JPG

I'm SO out of the loop! I had no idea that anything like this exists! My last real "experimental" photography was with film. I was young and self taught and the internet would have been helpful! Ah, I miss those days!

And saving money by mailing the film out to "Clark's" for processing and having to wait for a week or sometimes two for delivery to see what mistakes I'd made.

Man, I so hear you there! "Looks like F8 @ 160 to me." Send it away (at considerable expense, I might add) and see if you were close. I used to do B/W myself, but always sent the color out. Dodging, burning and vignetting was done with your hands under the enlarger lens! I'm not very good with the new stuff, but take great pride in the fact that I almost always use the shot as framed. I'll try to crop it, but almost invariably use it as shot. That's about all I have going for me, though! But boy, people sure do some great stuff these days. I have pretty much stuck to the shaving forums and my first foray into this one was quite an eye-opener.

Unbelievably, just tonight I discovered vignette in Photoshop. So, I used it! Got to stay true to the thread with a photo, albeit not much of one. We had about a three day foliage season this year.

P1016816P.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Man, I so hear you there! "Looks like F8 @ 160 to me." Send it away (at considerable expense, I might add) and see if you were close. I used to do B/W myself, but always sent the color out. Dodging, burning and vignetting was done with your hands under the enlarger lens! I'm not very good with the new stuff, but take great pride in the fact that I almost always use the shot as framed. I'll try to crop it, but almost invariably use it as shot. That's about all I have going for me, though! But boy, people sure do some great stuff these days. I have pretty much stuck to the shaving forums and my first foray into this one was quite an eye-opener.

Unbelievably, just tonight I discovered vignette in Photoshop. So, I used it! Got to stay true to the thread with a photo, albeit not much of one. We had about a three day foliage season this year.

View attachment 1166484
You are too humble! That is beautiful!

Our colors here in Mid Michigan are just beginning to peak. Last year was spectacular.

I'll have to check my phone to see if I took any "post worthy" photos today.....

FarmerTan

The view facing west in my deer "hut" haha! Will be used mostly for photos, though I may get lucky. Taken with my phone, and made a little "warmer" but uncropped.
IMG_20201004_162340877~2.jpg

Note the Sassafras and the freaky looking spots where the limbs have fallen off. I believe it's a blight of some kind, but it hasn't affected my Sassafras closer to the house, some of which are close to 18" in diameter. Strange.

FarmerTan

walk at sunrise this morning, almost totally clear, bit cooler for a change.

proxy.php
Brother, I have no idea where you live, but since I'm retired now I think you should be sending these pics to your local chamber of commerce!

Beautiful, as per normal my friend.

Top Bottom