What's new

Philadelphia Pen Show this weekend. Who will be there?

I live in Philly so my friend and I will not be missing this: http://www.philadelphiapenshow.com/

I will take some pictures and share with this group. I am curious if anyone else on B&B is going.

Here is the description from website: Philadelphia Pen Show, January 11-13, 2013

Buying, selling, and Trading is what the Philadelphia Pen Show is all about. We feature new and vintage fountain, rollerball, and ballpoint pens. You'll also find mechanical pencils.
proxy.php

Visitors can attend for $10 per day, $15 for two days or sign up for a three-day Early Trader's pass with early admission for $45. Children under 13 are free.
Do you have a fountain pen that needs its nib worked on? We will have two of the finest nib meisters at the show that will bring new life to your fountain pen.
Exhibitors can purchase interior table for $195 with no limit on tables. Wall tables are $225 on a first come, first serve basis. Pen manufacturers and distributors have guaranteed wall tables for $250.

I will be attending Friday afternoon around 2:30 pm (by myself) and again on Saturday with my wife and her cousin so they can take the calligraphy class.

If you might still be there on Friday afternoon, PM me with your cell phone # and I'll do the same.

I will be attending Friday afternoon around 2:30 pm (by myself) and again on Saturday with my wife and her cousin so they can take the calligraphy class.

If you might still be there on Friday afternoon, PM me with your cell phone # and I'll do the same.
I think I am going Sunday but I might be in the neighborhood Friday- stay tuned! Hope everyone that goes posts some pics.

So a question on pen shows.... My wife's really getting into pens after she received her Christmas gift (Sailor 1911), and is now lusting after several vintage pens (as am I). Do these shows typically have a lot of vintage stuff you can get your hands on and buy? Or is it more about new pens? I'm in to both, so I likely will get to one (probably the Ohio show later in the year), but I was just curious what the content of these shows typically are. I fancy going to ham radio shows, and the "flea market" aspect of those are the best part of them. I'm hoping pen shows are similar.

OP: Apologies for this slight tangent :).

So a question on pen shows.... My wife's really getting into pens after she received her Christmas gift (Sailor 1911), and is now lusting after several vintage pens (as am I). Do these shows typically have a lot of vintage stuff you can get your hands on and buy? Or is it more about new pens? I'm in to both, so I likely will get to one (probably the Ohio show later in the year), but I was just curious what the content of these shows typically are. I fancy going to ham radio shows, and the "flea market" aspect of those are the best part of them. I'm hoping pen shows are similar.

OP: Apologies for this slight tangent :).

Apologies unnecessary- I am not sure what to expect- exploring the website of this show gives me the impression that there is a bit of everything- even an auction. I may stop in different days at different times depending on what is going on. The price of vintage pens is all over the place depending where you go- so this should be interesting- again, I will be armed with camera and hope others also post.

OK- though anyone can just go to website and click on the tab, I am pasting in schedule for my own convenience. Looks like some stuff worth attending. A workshop about pens that make handwriting look better might be worth attending:

Philadelphia Pen Show Schedule

Friday, January 11, 2013—11 AM to 6 PM
Saturday, January 12, 2013—10 AM to 5 PM
Saturday, January 12, 2013 8 PM Auction
Sunday, January 13, 2013—10 AM to 4 PM
Nib Meister Richard Binder All 3 Days
(Richard Binder at Work.)
(Mike Masuyama had a conflict and had to cancel)
Classes
Deborah Basel Calligraphy classes, $25
Saturday, Noon to 2 PM
Sunday, Noon to 2 PM
Comes with 1–Day pass and free calligraphy pen

Susan Wirth
Free Pen Seminar:
Why some pens can make anyone's writing look good!
A common sense approach for people who don't like their handwriting, who are left-handed, or who “just print.”

Friday, Noon–1PM Sunday, 11AM–Noon Roger Cromwell
Penopoly Pens
Collecting pen seminar, Free
Mike Kovacs
Free Seminar
The Art of Personal Letterwriting

Saturday, 3–4 PM

We'll be there, and we'll have plenty of the pen with the new filling system (which will be announced on Tuesday!)

Lisa and I will be arriving Friday morning after an all night drive. Who else will be there? Auction on Saturday for those of you interested in those!

Cheers!
Brian

Last edited:
Here's my report from Friday's visit to the Philadelphia Pen Show. My wife and I arrived around noon and stayed for about three hours. It was quite interesting and the variety of writing instruments was mind-boggling to say the least! I had a chance to meet Brian and Andrea Gray of Edison Pens. Brian gave my new Edison Nouveau Encore LE and quick nib tune-up and now has it writing as smooth as a BBS! I spent quite a bit of time ogling the vintage pens and actually managed to acquire three pens without busting my budget limit (~ $100). I picked up a mint gray Esterbrook "J" (fourth "J" in my collection), a Wahl Eversharp Skyline (my first!), and for the princely sum of $4.00, a gorgeous little Eberhard Faber Permapoint. I also grabbed a bottle of Organics Studio "Foggy Bottom" Sepia ink.

This was my first show and it was quite interesting and productive. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet up with any of my fellow B&B members, but there's always next time and/or another show.

Here's a few photos...excuse the poor quality. My phone camera is not the greatest photographic tool.

Richard Binder working his magic on a customer's pen:

proxy.php

Ron Zorn of Main Steet Pens:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Organic Studios Ink:

proxy.php

Brian and Andrea Gray of Edison Pens:

proxy.php

proxy.php

My modest haul. Top: Eberhard Faber Permapoint; Middle: Wahl Eversharp Skyline; Bottom: Esterbrook "J"

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Larry, great report -- thanks. Did you run into any other B&Bers?

I'm really wondering how you managed to score such a beautiful Skyline for under $40. :huh:

Larry, great report -- thanks. Did you run into any other B&Bers?

I'm really wondering how you managed to score such a beautiful Skyline for under $40. :huh:

No, I wasn't able to connect with any other B&B folks, but I know that brianw was there and managed to snag one of the new Edison pneumatic-fillers. :tongue_sm

You misread my post. I wish the Skyline was $40! It was $70...fully restored and in beautiful condition. I spent $4.00 for the Eberhard Faber pen.

Top Bottom