What's new

The Absolutely Unnecessary Joy of a Fountain Pen

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Fellow Nibsters:
Saw this Pen article in on-line yesterday and thought I would share. 👍🏽

Story by Nick Sullivan - Esquire - 2 May 24

Montblanc's Meisterstück isn't an essential. Which is exactly what makes it so great

🖋️"A fountain pen [FP] is like a tie these days. It’s not a necessity but an expression of taste—and a chance to snatch a little extra joy from the grip of everyday existence.

Given the choice, would you rather scratch out a note with a cheap plastic ballpoint or glide a finely tuned 18k-gold nib over a sheet of paper? No contest [hands-down].;)

Which brings us to Montblanc. 1715569449751.png

Founded in 1906 with the catchy name 'Simplizissiumus-Füllhalter' [:blink:] the company pioneered modern, easy-to-use fountain pens.

And the Meisterstück— German for “Masterpiece”—has been the pinnacle of its lineup since it was introduced in 1924.

It’s the fountain pen elevated to an art form. :thumbsup:

1715565552665.jpeg

MB Meisterstück 149 Fontain Pen

Combining superior engineering and materials, the century-old Meisterstück takes the writing experience to another level by ensuring that the ink flows in an unbroken stream from reservoir to nib to paper without the slightest pressure from the user.
1715572002693.gif

It’s a simple pleasure but a profound one. And sometimes—more often than you might expect—that’s just what you need". [👏]

1715564709933.jpeg

My name engraved Vintage (1990' circa), #144 Meisterstuck Classic Fountain (black with gold trim...extra-fine two-tone [14K 4810 rhodium-plated inlay] nib), Pen w/ 75th Anniversary Diamond Solitaire Cap

1715573519858.jpeg

TOP - My name engraved Vintage (1990’ circa), Meisterstuck Classic (black with gold trim), Rollerball Pen.
BOTTOM - My name engraved Vintage (1990' circa), #144 Meisterstuck Classic Fountain (black with gold trim...extra-fine two-tone, 14K 4810 rhodium-plated inlay] nib), Pen w/ 75th Anniversary Diamond Solitaire Cap

Works Cited: MB Meisterstuck FP 100yr Anniversary

1715571521459.png
"Montblanc - celebrating 100 years of inspired writing". MB Slogan

Last edited:
Hello Tomo,

I'm not overly interested in fountain pens, but I do like your Avatar. He seems to be a figure with which I'm not familiar.

Cheers,

Gauthier

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I am still on the fence about getting a Montblanc pen. They are so iconic and well regarded... they are also not really an inexpensive pen. Maybe someday I'll have a bit of a windfall and pick one up. Great article, though!

I've had the same feeling since first using fountain pens. I almost bought a 149 for a good price from a guy off of Craigslist a number of years ago, but he backed out before the transaction took place.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
[...] Montblanc's Meisterstück isn't an essential. Which is exactly what makes it so great.

🖋️"A fountain pen [FP] is like a tie these days. It’s not a necessity but an expression of taste—and a chance to snatch a little extra joy from the grip of everyday existence.

Given the choice, would you rather scratch out a note with a cheap plastic ballpoint or glide a finely tuned 18k-gold nib over a sheet of paper? No contest [hands-down].;)

Which brings us to Montblanc. View attachment 1845321
🎥...;

1715571521459.png
"Montblanc - celebrating 100 years of inspired writing". MB Slogan

I wrote a great deal in my work and I enjoyed the effortlessness of fountain pens. I had about a half dozen or so over the years including a Meisterstück.

I had tablets of smooth, shiny paper made for me that allowed the pens to glide as if on ice. I could write comfortably for hours, in the days before keyboarding. I had a Dictaphone too, but I couldn’t use it for serious writing. The quiet contemplation of handwriting gave the best results.

The fountain pen wasn’t an unnecessary joy; it was essential

Last edited:
Mont Blancs are lovely pens. I have found that I prefer Sheafer Triumph nibs (late 30s to late 50s) though. Extra fine or accountant nibs only.

Fountain pens are my preferred writing implement, nothing else is as good. I only use any other writing implement when forced to these days, and carry four fountain pens to work every day.

Sorry Mont Blanc pen owners. I think they are way overpriced and overrated. Mont Verde has some nice fountain pens for less of an investment as well as cross, etc. Just way too much money for me to buy one....

Sorry Mont Blanc pen owners. I think they are way overpriced and overrated. Mont Verde has some nice fountain pens for less of an investment as well as cross, etc. Just way too much money for me to buy one....
I agree. They are way overpriced for what they are. A fountain pen is a fairly simple mechanism. I picked up a Platinum Preppy for my daughter and was blown away by how well it wrote. The MB’s are nice pens but I don’t know how they get away with charging so much for them. Luckily you only have to buy them once.

A fountain pen [FP] is like a tie these days. It’s not a necessity but an expression of taste—and a chance to snatch a little extra joy from the grip of everyday existence.
That’s why I use both in my job. I think I ama dinosaur and sometimes even the only one in both cases (tie and pen). I don’t care. As long as I am smiling when using them I’m good!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
While I do find them a joy, for me they might be considered necessary for anyone who's tried to read my handwriting after using a ballpoint pen. It's dramatically better using a fp.

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
Writing with a fountain pen is one of life’s pleasures. Even more so these days when we type far more often than we write, and the art of handwriting is so neglected.

As long as the nib and feed perform faultlessly I am happy using any fountain pen, though I have some favourites. Among Montblanc pens I much prefer the Heritage series over the 149 - the discontinued Heritage 1912 is particularly special - they have small nibs that have a lovely bounce to them. Aurora, Scribo and Visconti pens from Italy are excellent too, and Scribo (Scrittura Bolognese) in particular offers an exceptionally good EF Flexible nib using the machinery from the old Omas pen company. Japanese fountain pens (Sailor, Pilot, Platinum) are superb, especially if you like a fine line, and I always enjoy the bouncy but pencil-like feel of Sailor nibs. I have some lovely urushi lacquered Namiki pens from Pilot and Nakaya pens closely related to Platinum.

This is the Montblanc Heritage 1912 I mentioned as my favourite Montblanc. The nib retracts into the barrel by twisting the knob at the end, which also doubles as the piston-filling mechanism. The feel this nib gives when writing is utterly joyous.

3C06293D-C174-4C7D-8FC8-90B58E9947A2.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
I agree. They are way overpriced for what they are. A fountain pen is a fairly simple mechanism. I picked up a Platinum Preppy for my daughter and was blown away by how well it wrote. The MB’s are nice pens but I don’t know how they get away with charging so much for them. Luckily you only have to buy them once.
Generally speaking, I’ve found that cheap fountain pens are much more likely to have perfect nibs than the expensive pens. I guess it’s the perfection that only comes from high volume automated manufacturing. I never look down on a cheap fountain pen and, rationally, they are very satisfying objects and the best way to experience this kind of writing.

Generally speaking, I’ve found that cheap fountain pens are much more likely to have perfect nibs than the expensive pens. I guess it’s the perfection that only comes from high volume automated manufacturing. I never look down on a cheap fountain pen and, rationally, they are very satisfying objects and the best way to experience this kind of writing.
Well, I wouldn't go that far, but many cheap FPs do have good nibs. The best nibs in my opinion are vintage nibs from, say, the 1930s and 40s and before - nibs from an era when makers actually dressed and tuned their nibs before they went out the door. And you certainly don't need to break the bank to get a good vintage pen with a great nib. And it's a really affordable way to get a flex nib too. I've gotten many for under $40. Exceedingly few pen brands make nibs in-house anymore, choosing to simply plug in a ready made IPG nib unit. Even high end custom pen makers do this. Sure they're smooth writers, but just look at the line they produce. Most are indistinguishable from ball points and roller balls. If that's what you like then good for you. In my opinion your use a FP is just a pretense. Did I hear someone say "luxury resin"...?

Some pen makers likely do groom their nibs better than others, but I'm yet to see it being a widespread trend. It seems that most only care that their pens are smooth writers. Then again I know what I'm willing to spend so for the most part I must rely on writing samples I see in reviews of the more boutique brand pens. I have written with a few though.

To the original topic of the thread - MB produced some great pens, the 149 being very iconic certainly. But despite their luxury image they nevertheless are prone to the same pitfalls of that effect lesser pens. Anymore their niche attraction tends to cater to those with more money than sense.

Top Bottom