What's new

Personna Platinum

Hi,

I have tried to give these blades a fair chance as I had bought 30 of them, but after using about 20 I just find them dull, blunt and rough.

No matter what razor I put them in, they hardly ever give me a smooth face, rough spots and irritation seem to be the order of the day.

Anyone else had a different experience with them? Am I doing something wrong?

I don't have these issues with Gillette blades, Polsilver, GSB and super stainless etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Could you please post pictures of the wrapped and unwrapped blades from both sides along with photos of the box?

Are you referring to the Platinum Chrome blade in the red pack?

If yes, these are often called Israeli Reds and they are one of my favourite blades - sharp, smooth and long lasting.

It is these type.
proxy.php

The Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli Reds in UK packaging) are well regarded blades.

If anything, some consider them too sharp for aggressive razors, but otherwise you rarely hear any complaints.

Maybe your soap or prep is causing irritation, or you have a bad pack.

In any event, if these blades don't work for you, then you still have innumerable blade choices.

A while back those were my favorite blades from a dozen or so in a blade sampler. When the 100 pack arrived, I had the same experience you had. The ones in the red box were better, but still not as good as the sampler's blade. YMMV? Bad batch? I don't know and don't buy them any more.

This used to be my goto blade, then I bought 200 of them recently in the non-red pack. It doesn't say Israel anywhere on the packaging, and I've decided they suck. I think they moved production elsewhere. I'm going to steer clear from now on. Done.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I will get them again. The US ones I got have been good, the same ones as the Med prep type.

It is these type.
proxy.php

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Blades are cheap. Experiment and find what works best for you. I probably have 400 of that UK (10 pack) personna and another 75 in the (5 pack) US red box. I get a good shave with them in my old Gillettes and my GameChanger, but I'm retired and usually shave after several G&T's, so a milder blade blade works for me. My son-in-law uses only Feather blades. He hates my personna and I hate his Feathers. So be it.

For me they only work in my Rex Ambassador. But in the Rex they work extremely well.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Those look like Israeli Reds or Personna IPs. They pack them in the blue packaging for the UK market. I like them a lot, but you don't have to. There are so many great, inexpensive blades out there. I see no reason to struggle with a blade that isn't working in your razor on your face. You might want to put them aside to try again sometime down the line - perhaps with a different razor.

I get a DFS from the Personna reds like X7 shaves. I suspect they sold you old stock or a bad batch. Try Maggards or WCS as they tend to move stock faster. Ebay & you might get 2-3 year old blades that are oxidized.

8992A164-7854-40D8-B805-DBF46A1E327F.jpeg
Excellent shave with personna platinum Chrome. Wow blade. Sharp and smooth right out of the wrapper. Minimal burn from after shave.
Will see how it performs on shaves two, three and four. Might order a hundred or two.

Last edited:

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I love these blades. The smoothest blade out there. I have them both in red and blue packaging.

I bought 100 of those because of a good deal on Amazon. I, too, am not impressed. Very harsh in the Merkur Futur, passable in milder razors, but I have to do at least 3 passes in various directions to get the results of a 2 pass WTG with a Astra SP. Sticking with Astras.

Not impressed either. They give me nicks and cuts while other blades that are regarded just as sharp by others such as Nacet and Polsilver work well.

Israeli Red. They don't work for me at all. Objectively speaking, they are very sharp, in fact sharper than Gillette's ultra-sharp trio (Nacet, PermaSharp Super, Yellow).

But on my skin, they feel dull and harsh. I end up with bad irritation from all the buffing to try to get to a bbs, which no matter how much buffing I do I cannot achieve. It's the last blade I would reach for.

Blade love/hate is very subjective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom