What's new

Personna Lab Blues - Once again, are these real?

Here's my understanding so far. With a little creative idea on why it was done:

Lab blue and med prep were and are made in USA. No change there besides packaging.

Blue "crystal" IP are and were made in Israel no change

Red IP were only made in Israel. Personna was going to buy "Harry's" so established a new plant in Germany (speculated by me) and started making the red IP platinums there.
The deal with Harry's fell though because of govt intervention about monopoly law or something.
They must have either had alot invested in the german plant or found another reason to keep it going for import costs for other european nations or something being cheaper coming from there rather than israel, so it stayed open and producing for whatever reason.
Plans to shut down Israel plant and move completely to Germany fell through because of Harry's deal going south. So they are still producing to this day. Maybe also because of import coats to other countries from Israel? (Speculation again)
So now we are where we are with the new "german red" blades identical in look (haven't tested if they are identical) and the same old "red IP" israeli blades we all know forever.

Besides speculation that's where we are now.
Most house brands either changed to dorco or have changed to german made instead of israel

As far as my currently owned personna and what I've been able to dig up and infer, that's my understanding.

Hope this helps.

The only snag I see, is that my new german reds wrapper says comfort coated. So I'm not sure if they just reused a lab blue type blade wrapper or if they're actually now comfort coating the german reds like they do the lab blues?!?
I don't know if the tower packs have this wrapper but my 100 packs u currently have, have this wrapper (posted picture above)

So it's not all figured out but I think I nailed it (besides my speculation on motive for why) about where all are made.

It wouldn't be personna without some confusion haha.

Lab Blues are "Comfort Coated" with PFTE (Teflon)

Med Preps (officially dubbed as Surgical and Prep Blades) are "Sterile Coated" with an undefined material. It could be regular, later sanitized PFTE or a different coating material with antiseptic properties. FYI these are not intended for shaving purposes rather to be used for biopsies, mohs surgery, hair transplants and all applicable surgical procedures.

Edgewell blades (Israeli, Germany, Czech Republic) are coated with an alloy of Platinum, Chrome and other metals.

Med preps and lab blues are still made in the USA.
They are the same blade as lab blue however after the final sharpening process and maybe after a coating process, they are sanitized for use in the hospital field. (Not sure about any coatings but I know they are treated differently after sharpening.)
Same blade as far as grind and sharpening but diverge at some point for post processing whether it be coating like the comfort coating but definitely for the cleaning process to make sure they are ready and "sterile" for use out of package so they don't need to sterilize them before using.
What are AAFES? Not familiar with that acronym.
Army and Airforce Exchange Service. They run the PX (Post Exchange), BX (Base Exchange), and Ship Stores (Navy) for the US military.

Here's my understanding so far. With a little creative idea on why it was done:

Lab blue and med prep were and are made in USA. No change there besides packaging.

Blue "crystal" IP are and were made in Israel no change

Red IP were only made in Israel. Personna was going to buy "Harry's" so established a new plant in Germany (speculated by me) and started making the red IP platinums there.
The deal with Harry's fell though because of govt intervention about monopoly law or something.
They must have either had alot invested in the german plant or found another reason to keep it going for import costs for other european nations or something being cheaper coming from there rather than israel, so it stayed open and producing for whatever reason.
Plans to shut down Israel plant and move completely to Germany fell through because of Harry's deal going south. So they are still producing to this day. Maybe also because of import coats to other countries from Israel? (Speculation again)
So now we are where we are with the new "german red" blades identical in look (haven't tested if they are identical) and the same old "red IP" israeli blades we all know forever.

Besides speculation that's where we are now.
Most house brands either changed to dorco or have changed to german made instead of israel

As far as my currently owned personna and what I've been able to dig up and infer, that's my understanding.

Hope this helps.

The only snag I see, is that my new german reds wrapper says comfort coated. So I'm not sure if they just reused a lab blue type blade wrapper or if they're actually now comfort coating the german reds like they do the lab blues?!?
I don't know if the tower packs have this wrapper but my 100 packs u currently have, have this wrapper (posted picture above)

So it's not all figured out but I think I nailed it (besides my speculation on motive for why) about where all are made.

It wouldn't be personna without some confusion haha.

It's a interesting subject indeed. Sadly we have little if no infos because at Edgewell headquarters they don't know about the existence of razor blades nuts who follow the lines of production like it was a crime read. They don't share information because "regular" people are not interested in such things :letterk1:

For what I have collected and speculated:

- Wilkinson Sword, Schick and Personna are all under the same umbrella and nowadays the three brands produce razor blades in Germany. Todays German Schick "Chromium" are a far cry of the exceptional old vintage blades. One of the most awful blade I ever shaved with. Those are sold in Latin/South American markets. It is not known (yet) whether the three blades are produced in the same plant near Solingen or if Edgewell owns other plants around Germany.

- European House brands/Private labels Personnas are now produced in the Czech plant where also Wilkinson Sword carts (Quattro, Hydro) are produced. I agree most European Private Labels moved to Dorcos for being cheaper.

- USA House brands/Private labels Personnas are AccuTec's "Comfort Coated" oiled Blue labs sold in 5-blades dispensers.

- The Israeli plant is still alive and kicking and blades are sold, under many monikers, in North-African/Eastern Asia markets. Also Satinex blades are rebranded Israeli "Reds" sold in Italy.

Last edited:
Army and Airforce Exchange Service. They run the PX (Post Exchange), BX (Base Exchange), and Ship Stores (Navy) for the US military.
Oh so you can buy DE blades at the PX and others? Do they sell the razors too at all of any brand?
Learn something new everyday!!!

- European House brands/Private labels Personnas are now produced in the Czech plant where also Wilkinson Sword carts (Quattro, Hydro) are produced. I agree most European Private Labels moved to Dorcos for being cheaper.

I also have a strong belief (not confirmed 100%) that Solimo Amazon private house brand blades are Czech Personnas.

I've never heard of those. Are they for amazon outside of the US? I can't find that on US Amazon.

These are on Amazon Italy. Currently at €7.50 ($8.50) x 100 blades with 25% coupon applied
Solimo.png

On amazon USA I can only see the Solimo cartridge razor, same handle as the Wilkinson Sword/Schick "Quattro with Motionsphere" produced in Czech Republic.
That was the reason of my speculation: the Amazon-Solimo carts are produced in the same Czech plant where Czech Personnas are produced.

Hello, first post and greetings! :)

I tried to order lab blues from Amazon but the comments suggested some confusion over what they actually got, so I ordered directly from Personna just to be sure. The description stated "Made in USA" and "Comfort Coated", so: Lab Blues, as far as I could tell 🧐

What I received seemed like a Frankenstein's Monster of Personna branding and identification cues (to me at least; I'm new at this!): The box changed (again?), the blades look stamped like Reds, and they are made in Germany by Edgewell, but the wrapper says "Comfort Coated". (see the pix) I mean, I'm pretty thick but I was super confused.

So I contacted Personna to ask:
I know that Personna makes many blades and I was looking for the made-in-USA “Lab Blues”. It can get confusing to order the right ones :) Are these the “comfort coated” “Lab Blue” blades? Do you no longer maintain a US manufacturing facility?

I got this Reply:
Hi Don, These are the comfort coated lab blues. Unfortunately, with the issues with Covid, we have had to move all manufacturing to Germany. We wont have any production of this product in the US in the future. If you would like, you can return the product for a full refund.

So perhaps Personna no longer sources their "lab blues" from AccuTec?

Attachments

• PersonnaEdgwell - 1.jpeg
    PersonnaEdgwell - 1.jpeg
    753.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Personna - 4.jpeg
    Personna - 4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Personna - 3.jpeg
    Personna - 3.jpeg
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Personna - 2.jpeg
    Personna - 2.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Personna - 1.jpeg
    Personna - 1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

I tried to order lab blues from Amazon but the comments suggested some confusion over what they actually got, so I ordered directly from Personna just to be sure. The description stated "Made in USA" and "Comfort Coated", so: Lab Blues, as far as I could tell 🧐

What I received seemed like a Frankenstein's Monster of Personna branding and identification cues (to me at least; I'm new at this!): The box changed (again?), the blades look stamped like Reds, and they are made in Germany by Edgewell, but the wrapper says "Comfort Coated". (see the pix) I mean, I'm pretty thick but I was super confused.

I got this Reply:

So what you got are the newer german made version of the "israeli reds". I'm calling them german reds.
The new lab blues boxes look like this:

I got this Reply:

What you got are the new german made "israeli reds". I'm calling them german reds.
These are the new packaging for the lab blues:
16123947572888294449703745808517.jpg

Now they may not be the 120 pack, I just happened to get those from Amazon.

I got this Reply:

The response you got from Edgewell just adds to the confusion! :confused:

Remember, Personna is not a company. Personna is a brand.

The Personna brand is used by two different companies: Edgewell and Accutec. The "Lab Blues" are not made by Edgewell. They are made only in Virginia, USA by Accutec.

"Lab Blue" is just a nickname. The packaging nowhere says anything about "Lab Blue". The "Med Prep" is a similar blade also made in Virginia, USA by Accutec.

"Lab Blue" on left; "Med Prep" on right. Both are made by Accutec.

1612395747587.png
1612395955303.png

Edgewell makes the "other" Personna blades, like Israeli Red, German Red, etc.

Last edited:
Remember, Personna is not a company. Personna is a brand.

Ahhhh, ok. Now it is starting to make sense; thank you for that. I'm very new at this and had thought of Personna as a company that sources blades from Edgewell and AccuTec. But you have neatly clarified that instead both Edgewell and AccuTec use the Personna brand. I'm glad to hear this because the German blades I received certainly seem like reds and not blues!

Thanks you so much for helping me understand
-d

Ahhhh, ok. Now it is starting to make sense; thank you for that. I'm very new at this and had thought of Personna as a company that sources blades from Edgewell and AccuTec. But you have neatly clarified that instead both Edgewell and AccuTec use the Personna brand. I'm glad to hear this because the German blades I received certainly seem like reds and not blues!

Thanks you so much for helping me understand
-d

It's a problem because once upon a time there was a company called American Safety Razor, which produced almost all of its blades in the USA with the Personna brand. Some of them were for consumers, some for industrial, some for commercial purposes like beauty supplies, etc.

In the 1990s ASR bought a blade maker in Israel to get access to that company's consumer private-label distribution network. This was a completely different line of blades, which ASR mostly used to sell to drugstores as their private label product. Walgreens brand DE blades came from this operation, along with dozens of others from lots of different chain stores. They also put the Personna name on these blades for sale outside of the US with very limited distribution in the US.

In 2010 ASR went bankrupt after losing their contract with Walmart. You might remember this is when Wilkinson Sword brand products started showing up at Walmart. The company that is now Edgewell (maker of Schick and Wilkinson Sword) bought ASR out of bankruptcy. But they only wanted the consumer business and weren't interested in ASR's industrial and commercial lines.

They split the company, keeping the old Israeli operation for themselves along with the Personna brand name, and spinning off the commercial / industrial business to its management, which became a new company called Accutec. Accutec licenses the Personna name from Edgewell. I believe there's still some packaging integration too. Recently Edgewell determined to stop producing in the Israel factory, since they already had their own factory in Solingen making Wilkinson Sword blades, and apparently moved the Israeli production to Solingen.

So. If you're buying a Personna blade, what you mostly need to know is where the blades were produced. All Accutec double edge blades ("lab blues") are made in the United States, sold in 100s to beauty supply shops and 250s (or more) for industrial purposes. Edgewell blades once made in Israel and now made in Germany are a different product that can be found in many different packages.

Last edited:
It's a problem because once upon a time there was a company called American Safety Razor, which produced almost all of its blades in the USA with the Personna brand. Some of them were for consumers, some for industrial, some for commercial purposes like beauty supplies, etc.

In the 1990s ASR bought a razor maker in Israel to get access to that company's consumer private-label distribution network. This was a completely different line of blades, which ASR mostly used to sell to drugstores as their private label product. Walgreens brand DE blades came from this operation, along with dozens of others from lots of different chain stores. They also put the Personna name on these blades for sale outside of the US with very limited distribution in the US.

In 2010 ASR went bankrupt after losing their contract with Walmart. You might remember this is when Wilkinson Sword brand products started showing up at Walmart. The company that is now Edgewell (maker of Schick and Wilkinson Sword) bought ASR out of bankruptcy. But they only wanted the consumer business and weren't interested in ASR's industrial and commercial lines.

They split the company, keeping the old Israeli operation for themselves along with the Personna brand name, and spinning off the commercial / industrial business to its management, which became a new company called Accutec. Accutec licenses the Personna name from Edgewell. I believe there's still some packaging integration too. Recently Edgewell determined to stop producing in the Israel factory, since they already had their own factory in Solingen making Wilkinson Sword blades, and apparently moved the Israeli production to Solingen.

So. If you're buying a Personna blade, what you mostly need to know is where the blades were produced. All Accutec double edge blades ("lab blues") are made in the United States, sold in 100s to beauty supply shops and 250s (or more) for industrial purposes. Edgewell blades once made in Israel and now made in Germany are a different product that can be found in many different packages.
Only thing is the last sentence
In my research, they are still producing israeli reds and israeli blue crystals in Israel.
What I don't know is why they are making the "same" blade in Germany now as the israeli red but different machinery.
I don't know if they plan on phasing out israeli production or not but I know the last batch I bought of crystals and israeli reds were 2020 production date and made in Israel. According to my suppliers they are still producing today there.
The idea that Israel was stopping is years old and since mine are 2020 coupled with my supplier answer tells me they are still making them.
Maybe its an import and tax and tariff reason for making some in Germany for european market?!? Or vice versa. Not sure.
I know the israeli red that were made for the european market were in the white tucks and blue cardboard. Now they have the German version in same looking plastic tucks but with a blue cardboard insert with gold oblong on them.
But as of right now they are still making them in both plants.

Thank you so much for the history lesson, @pdieten; it helps clear up my confusion. Perhaps the Edgewell rep that responded to me that "these are the lab blues" just either didn't know the history (like me), or (also like me) didn't know that "Lab Blue" was just a nickname and assumed they were all the same.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I bought these from Amazon, good price. But the ink is different than the ones I got from Tryablade. Those had bad printing on the blades, they looked smudged. Others on this site confirmed they were real. But these have a different etching on the blades. Tried one out tonight, seemed smooth, I didn't compare to the Tryablade tuck. Any thoughts?View attachment 1162926View attachment 1162927View attachment 1162928

That looks like the box and the blades I got from Amazon. Ordered them a while back though. How do they shave?

That looks like the box and the blades I got from Amazon. Ordered them a while back though. How do they shave?

To be honest, I'm so new to DE shaving that I can't give a terribly useful answer. However, it does seem like everyone is correct that these are basically Israeli Reds manufactured in Germany: I had a pack of Israeli-made Reds from a blade sample kit and these feel remarkably similar to them. Quite sharp. I've yet to try an actual "Lab Blue" to compare to, however. My technique still has a long way to go, but on my face they are not as good as Nacet's and Astra SPs, which are my two favorites (so far 😉)

Top Bottom