What's new

Personna Caliber 5

I was wondering if any of you have tried the Personna Caliber 5 razor? I noticed that Walmart sells them under their house brand "Equate". I found them after switching to de razors. Like most people I got tired of paying $17 for 4 Fusion cartridges, so I got into safety razors. If Walmart had been selling their Equate brand 5 blade razor and cartridges, I may not have ever switched. The Equate 5 blade cartridges were selling for around $8 for 4 a year ago when I last bought a pack. I feel like I get just as good a shave with the Caliber 5 as the Gillette Fusion.

The blades are made in USA and are much more affordable than the Gillette cartridges. I did some searching on the internet for Personna Caliber 5 cartridges and found them selling for as low as $4.75 for 4, but shipping would make it more of course. What do y'all think about this razor? Good, bad or indifferent?
caliber5system_1.png

caliber 5.jpg

I never used the product, but I found the cartridges for 68 cents each at:
16 Pack 5 Blade Equate Razor Cartridges (free Shipping) | eBay

Curiously, I could not find the carts on the Walmart site. Is there a patent issue? They only seem to be on Ebay.

Walmart says discontinued:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-5-Blade-Razor-Cartridges-for-Men-12-count/48463975

That's interesting. I haven't paid that much attention when in the shaving isle at Walmart lately, but I thought they still had them for sale at the store. I will have to check next time I'm in there. The Walmart website does show them to be NOT available. That ebay price is outstanding. I think I get as good a shave from the Caliber 5 as I do from the Fusion.

Yeah for some reason they are not on their website, but they still carry their own 5 blade version in store. I wanna say its $6somthing for 4 carts. Not bad.

Yeah for some reason they are not on their website, but they still carry their own 5 blade version in store. I wanna say its $6somthing for 4 carts. Not bad.
I agree. That's a great price for a 5 blade cartridge. Especially one that is made in USA. I have been thinking about getting one for my 17 year old son. He has been using a disposable 3 blade Equate razor. I'm not sure I can trust him to dispose of a safety razor blade properly after each use (I have a 5 and 8 year old in the house also), so I haven't got him into de shaving yet. I did notice this last weekend he had brought over a Gillette Mach III razor and some Schick shave gel. I think he might like the Caliber 5 better than the Mach 3 and the cartridges are about the same price. I will have to let him try mine to see if he
likes it.

I agree. That's a great price for a 5 blade cartridge. Especially one that is made in USA. I have been thinking about getting one for my 17 year old son. He has been using a disposable 3 blade Equate razor. I'm not sure I can trust him to dispose of a safety razor blade properly after each use (I have a 5 and 8 year old in the house also), so I haven't got him into de shaving yet. I did notice this last weekend he had brought over a Gillette Mach III razor and some Schick shave gel. I think he might like the Caliber 5 better than the Mach 3 and the cartridges are about the same price. I will have to let him try mine to see if he
likes it.
How does that Equate 3 blade compare to the Mach3?

I can get a decent shave from almost anything--cart, SE, DE. I just look for good deals on blades. One of the best deals I found was Dorco carts for Atra at 6 cents each from Nationwide Campus, but that clearance is over. I bought 50, but I could have had hundreds if I wanted them. I recently got 40 SE blades at half price on Ebay because the package was ripped. I guess I should apply to be a blade broker. I may have a lifetime supply, who knows?

View attachment 793260 Went to Walmart tonight and found these.
Yeah! That's a great price for four 5 blade cartridges. I think the handle is nice for what it is and I get good shaves from it when I use it (which is not too often any more). It is comparable to the Fusion in the results I get, but much more affordable.

The 3 blade Equate disposable razors are pretty decent little shavers. It has been a long time since I used a Mach 3, so I couldn't say how they compare. I keep some of the 3 blade Equate disposables around for traveling.

Top Bottom