What's new

Personna blades at Walmart

My dear shavers...I learned a VALUABLE lesson by making a pure rookie mistake. I bought some personna blades at Walmart at a CHEAP price...I SOON found out why. In the midst of attempting to shave with these.....things I was able to utter the classic Poe quote from "The Cask of Amontillado" to wit: "For the love of GOD, Montressor". Once the carnage was cleaned up and my face stopped protesting, I reflected to my wife that a shave with a dull cheese grater would have been much MUCH better. I suppose my question is are ALL personna blades this evil? I have seen 'Israeli' blades mentioned but I would appreciate any information I could get and any suggestion on blades.Please be kind, I am still learning.

Welcome aboard!

Everyone's experience with blade types is different. You need to get a blade sampler and try out the variety of brands.

Try West Coast Shaving. They ship quickly and reasonably and have several sampler packages available.

- Chris

P.S. - I get pretty decent shaves with the Walmart Personna blades. :smile:

Last edited:
My dear shavers...I learned a VALUABLE lesson by making a pure rookie mistake.

Don't be too quick to condemn until you have some more time under your belt. I've found my viewpoint on certain things has changed quite a bit since I started. Open comb razors were the Devil's implements of torture, now I like them a lot.

I bought some personna blades at Walmart at a CHEAP price...I SOON found out why. In the midst of attempting to shave with these.....things I was able to utter the classic Poe quote from "The Cask of Amontillado" to wit: "For the love of GOD, Montressor". Once the carnage was cleaned up and my face stopped protesting, I reflected to my wife that a shave with a dull cheese grater would have been much MUCH better.

:lol: Hang on to that cheese grater, it will come in handy for milling soaps!

I suppose my question is are ALL personna blades this evil? I have seen 'Israeli' blades mentioned but I would appreciate any information I could get and any suggestion on blades

Nope, not all Personna blades are equal. Sandmountainslim has you covered here. 82R100 has a fine idea with the sampler pack. Blades seem to be very much an individual thing, and what works for me may be a house of horrors for you.

Please be kind, I am still learning.

Welcome aboard! One of the great things about this crazy world of blades, razors, brushes and such is that we are all still learning. In fact, I'm making that my sig line for awhile.:thumbup1:

Last edited:
for that shave a cheap one (which came with a Gillette 7 O'clock) from amazon. Same razor..same technique far different results

I didn't really think I was condeming, I simply felt I was sharing *my* experience. I did also note I was/am new to this and asked for help and advice.

It's all good, and it sounds like you are making a great start. In fact, if you send me an address, I'll send you a five pack of my favorites, Shark Super Stainless, for you to try.

Cheers!

well i've DE shaved three times, all with wal-mart personnas. i've cut myself badly each time, and now i'm beginning to think its the blade more than my technique (although its definitely a combo of both)...i'm going to try shark blades on monday and see if its any better

Wal-Mart Personnas are not that bad (not that great either). Fortunately, if they don't work for you, we still have lots of variety available - You'll find lots of blades available on eBay for a good price.

My WP's experience wasn't that bad, the thing is you can do better for the price.

If I ran out of blades somehow *Like I dunno my entire box of blades rusted and had barnacles growing off them* then I would run out and buy a pack.

The Red Personna is a mystirious thing. The first class Personna, we are using, is from Israel. The packages with asian and english labeling are definitely the same.

German communities stood in contact with AmericanSafetyRazor, but the company knows nothing about this Personna from Israel!

Last edited:
The Red Personna is a mysterious thing. The first class Personna, we are using, is from Israel. The packages with asian and english labeling are definitely the same.

German communities stood in contact with AmericanSafetyRazor, but the company knows nothing about this Personna from Israel!

Just wanted to clarify, that we are talking about the Wal-Mart Personna, they are not the same thing as the Israel made Red Pack Personna. The quality of the blades is vastly different with the Red IP being top of the line, and the Wal-Mart ones being just an average (at best) blade.

Walmart Personna package:

proxy.php

"Red Pack" Personnas:

proxy.php

well i've DE shaved three times, all with wal-mart personnas. i've cut myself badly each time, and now i'm beginning to think its the blade more than my technique (although its definitely a combo of both)...i'm going to try shark blades on monday and see if its any better

I would suspect that too much pressure has to do with the cuts.

Top Bottom