What's new

Personna 74 Tungsten Blade Variants

Excellent point.
That may be true in some cases but the real reason they were phased out was because they last so long and customers knew it that they weren't able to sell enough to be profitable. The company had just been bought by Phillip Morris, the tobacco company, and their bright idea to cut into Gillette's grip on the market was to make the best blade possible, which is great for us but was bad for them.

Wanted to add this Variant that I saw on the Bay (at more than 2 bucks per blade). I have never seen a package like this before. Notice the blade is labeled with the "74" logo
proxy.php
I just bought some SPC in similar packaging, expensive but as its my favourite vintage blade I couldn't resist. My only worry is how the edges have held up in store over all these years, my other packs are sealed in dispensers.

I am always on the lookout at vintage stores hoping to score the fabled 74, I just can't bring myself to spending the price that the majority of sellers are asking for them on the Bay, when I saw that box of med 74's it really wet my appetite to hopefully trying one someday without dropping a lot of money.
I have a couple hundred of all the different variants of this blade. My costs per shave is actually at or lower than the best modern blades at the one hundred packs, but I'm retired and have the time to scour the web and bid low, lose 8 or 9 times out of 10 but win often enough. Except for the first few packs I acquired I've never paid the usual asking prices. If I was still working I would never been able to spend the time and effort to run these down and go only vintage. The only blades this strategy never worked on are the Wilkinson Light Brigades. They are rarely offered and sellers never back down on their asking prices. That's why , although they're one of my two favorites, I have very few of them.

Bruce is hardly what historians would call a primary source, with all due respect. The entire shaving market was undergoing change as Bic introd the first disposable in 1975 and all Hell broke loose. Gillette had already introd their Trac II in 1971. These two moves more than anything "killed' the DE market according to the memoirs of a Gillette exec.

Bruce is hardly what historians would call a primary source, with all due respect. The entire shaving market was undergoing change as Bic introd the first disposable in 1975 and all Hell broke loose. Gillette had already introd their Trac II in 1971. These two moves more than anything "killed' the DE market according to the memoirs of a Gillette exec.
What killed the Personna 74 was in large part due to a tobacco company that didn't understand the shaving market and made a blade too long lasting to be profitable in the long run, mister contrarian. It doesn't take a mensa member to figure that out.
I'm sorry some simple facts about razor blades go contrary to your world beliefs.
They changed the package name of the blades and how they marketed them so people would think they weren't the same long lasting blades anymore and bin them sooner than they needed to before the 1975 Bic you mentioned once they realized how wrong they were.
At least I post some supporting evidence for what happened, here and on other blade threads. Until you can post something to back up what you say, which may be right, you are the one speculating.

Last edited:

And yes, that more than anything killed the DE market. But what I've posted is about what killed the P74 specifically.

What killed the Personna 74 was in large part due to a tobacco company that didn't understand the shaving market and made a blade too long lasting to be profitable in the long run, mister contrarian. It doesn't take a mensa member to figure that out.
I'm sorry some simple facts about razor blades go contrary to your world beliefs.
They changed the package name of the blades and how they marketed them so people would think they weren't the same long lasting blades anymore and bin them sooner than they needed to before the 1975 Bic you mentioned once they realized how wrong they were.
At least I post some supporting evidence for what happened, here and on other blade threads. Until you can post something to back up what you say, which may be right, you are the one speculating.

The facts are Personna under P. Morris had been profitable for at least five years until the FTC nixed the buyout by French owned Bic as an anti-monopoly measure. P. Morris was simply making more money in other endeavors such as Miller Beer.

Perhaps I should apply to MENSA. ;)

The facts are Personna under P. Morris had been profitable for at least five years until the FTC nixed the buyout by French owned Bic as an anti-monopoly measure. P. Morris was simply making more money in other endeavors such as Miller Beer.

Perhaps I should apply to MENSA. ;)
Perhaps, once you explain how that explains why Personna specifically phased out only the 74s and changed how they packaged and marketed only the 74s at the time. Why do you have to go all Professor Irwin Corey with me all the time?
It's like watching the Heritage Foundation twisting the climate change consensus.

Perhaps, once you explain how that explains why Personna specifically phased out only the 74s and changed how they packaged and marketed only the 74s at the time. Why do you have to go all Professor Irwin Corey with me all the time?
It's like watching the Heritage Foundation twisting the climate change consensus.

I don't know and neither do you. The difference is I don't profess to know why they dropped it.

I don't know and neither do you. The difference is I don't profess to know why they dropped it.
You've claimed to know as much as I did, we are both reaching conclusions, difference is I've posted at least one source that supports mine. The DE market hasn't been killed, just greatly, close to mortally wounded at least in the western first world market. Im in agreement with you as to why/how. The P74 however, was killed.

Ha! Just what we need, a little lightening up.If you're referring to the Gillette Super Stainless "Spoiler" they are great, but not the equal of the 74s,...to most men...ymmv.
I agree Spoilers are very good blades. Surprisingly though I like the Super Platinum Chromes better than 74's which always felt harsh to my skin no matter what razor I tried them in.

Top Bottom