What's new

Perfect Cologne for Church?

Hi Texican. You know, I have asked myself(and my wife too)if the cologne I was wearing was either too strong or applied too heavily for the pews. So far it has been good. No complaints or wrinkled up noses. Of those you listed, I would say the Douro(Lords) or Blenheim Bouquet would be my top choices. I LOVE Floris #89. However, with that rose blast in the top notes, I would proceed with a light hand. It REALLY mixed well with my skin chemistry and projected itself with aplomb. You always hear people describe Blenheim Bouquet as powerful or testosterone laden or powerful like a charismatic lawyer. I don't get quite that take from it. Most men like the scent as is evidenced by these forums. Women go one of two ways, they either LOVE it or just sort of give a shrug like it doesn't matter. I have yet to have one say it was bad or overly strong. I think more than anything it gives them the image of the secure, reassured GROWN UP male. Probably a good choice for church. BTW, your first three choices are some of my all time favourites.

Regards, Todd

Just out of pure wonder, I am pondering if any of our church going Badgers wear cologne? If so, what do you feel is most appropriate?

I was considering purchasing a bottle of either Floris 89, Douro, Blenheim Bouquet, or Truefitt and Hill's Grafton. In my mind, cologne for ecclesiastical functions should be rather subdued, and these are some of the most formal, unobtrusive scents I have.

I usually use Trumper's Sandalwood - it is great, really clean and smart and especially good on sunday mornings when i have a French (non)wash! It covers my funk quite well. I can't speak for the wee Polish girl that sits beside me sometimes in the morning, but i'm sure she appreciates my non-funk.

Another i'd suggest is Trumper's Spanish Leather. In the summer i was in both London and Paris and in the former i went to Trumpers (see my link at bottom for pics) and got a Spanish Leather scented hot towel - it was blissful. Then on the Paris part of the trip, i realised that the incense in Notre Damme smelled like Spanish Leather! It was my favourite thing about the place. I checked it out and it seems incense is typically Frankincense and Myrrh. So now i REALLY love Spanish Leather, for its cool associations with the trip and for the fact that it smells of Frankincense and Myrrh (along with Patchouli and other things)... I would recommend it as a pleasant clean every day scent, and one which i'd wear to church.

I don't think none is the best answer, but I do agree it should be subtle and unobtrusive. I typically wear the same Acqua Di Gio that my wife loves, just less of it.

I was in Penhaligons this week and one of the assistants described the new Elixer frangrance as being like an old English church. It's a warm cologne and I somewhat (although not entirely) agree with him. You may want to check it out... overall, I think it's a very nice fragrance.

Hey Phog:

Thanks for your input. I really do love those scents. Grafton is in fact my favorite shave cream, and is something I always wear on Saturday's after I breakfast with my wife.

After trying Floris scents, Creeds, etc. I thought I found my holy grail.

I used to only have one cologne: Hammam Bouquet. But as I wore it, I found that it had too much amber and musk for my taste. And it tended to linger around way too long. I later found out that I get a great rose note whenever I splash on Thayer's Rose Witchhazel toner. Hammam just didn't seem like me, personally. I can see a lot of artist and writer types wearing it - Truman Capote, Andy Warhol, etc. It just didn't seem appropriate for church.

I have considered treating myself this Christmas and buying another Penhaligon's scent. But I cannot decide between the Douro and the BB. They are similar and opposite all at the same time. Both are citruses that shout sophistication, but while Douro is warm and aromatic, Blenheim has this coolness and conservativeness about it. Both seem to be the kind of unobtrusive, conservative colognes I am looking for.

Decisions, decisions.....:smile:

Hi Texican. You know, I have asked myself(and my wife too)if the cologne I was wearing was either too strong or applied too heavily for the pews. So far it has been good. No complaints or wrinkled up noses. Of those you listed, I would say the Douro(Lords) or Blenheim Bouquet would be my top choices. I LOVE Floris #89. However, with that rose blast in the top notes, I would proceed with a light hand. It REALLY mixed well with my skin chemistry and projected itself with aplomb. You always hear people describe Blenheim Bouquet as powerful or testosterone laden or powerful like a charismatic lawyer. I don't get quite that take from it. Most men like the scent as is evidenced by these forums. Women go one of two ways, they either LOVE it or just sort of give a shrug like it doesn't matter. I have yet to have one say it was bad or overly strong. I think more than anything it gives them the image of the secure, reassured GROWN UP male. Probably a good choice for church. BTW, your first three choices are some of my all time favourites.

Regards, Todd

Just out of pure wonder, I am pondering if any of our church going Badgers wear cologne? If so, what do you feel is most appropriate?

proxy.php

All joking aside, God doesn't care what you wear to Church.
As to the congregation? Like all public events where people are crowed together, "Less is more".

I was considering purchasing a bottle of either Floris 89, Douro, Blenheim Bouquet, or Truefitt and Hill's Grafton. In my mind, cologne for ecclesiastical functions should be rather subdued, and these are some of the most formal, unobtrusive scents I have.

While not overly experienced with either fragrances or church, I think you're probably onto something with both Douro and Grafton. Two of my favorite scents. Pleasant, reserved, but definitely not too sexy & sinful.

I have considered treating myself this Christmas and buying another Penhaligon's scent. But I cannot decide between the Douro and the BB. They are similar and opposite all at the same time. Both are citruses that shout sophistication, but while Douro is warm and aromatic, Blenheim has this coolness and conservativeness about it. Both seem to be the kind of unobtrusive, conservative colognes I am looking for.

Very personal, but I'd take BB by a slight margin. :001_smile

It depends on what kind of church you attend, doesn't it? Or dare I suggest you get both?

Both Duoro and Blenheim Bouquet have a reserve about them which is very typical of British colognes. I find Duoro to be more affable than BB, which can come across a little parochial or haughty.

Top Bottom