What's new

Perfect Albums

A Canadian Classic.

Day for Night - would be my choice for a Tragically Hip offering. But maybe it's because I got to see them at First Avenue in Minneapolis on this tour, small historic venue.
I had their offerings up to Road Apples I think. Each album got more commercially accessibly poppy. Each one less to my taste.

I don’t know if they intended it for sales, or just natural evolution as they aged. And they get no media in the US, so… I don’t even know how Iran across them

brucered

System Generated
I had their offerings up to Road Apples I think. Each album got more commercially accessibly poppy. Each one less to my taste.

I don’t know if they intended it for sales, or just natural evolution as they aged. And they get no media in the US, so… I don’t even know how Iran across them
They made an SNL appearance, which was amazing, but never seemed to crack the USA market in a big way. They were Canadian touring machines though.

Not too many Americans have even heard of them, so I was surprised to see your post.

Agree

Disagree

That's not what happened, but the moral character that this statement telegraphs to me is impressive to the point of being downright inspiring! Keep fighting the righteous fight, brother!
There was a time people thought Denis Leary was shocking and funny, which let him get away with saying something beyond the pale. Yoko Ono jokes are now so played out that they've lost all humor; all that's left is a tone-deaf wish for violence toward someone who suffered a terrible trauma.

all that's left is a tone-deaf wish for violence

I never thought for a second that he meant that literally. I'm actually a little surprised that anyone would think that. Is it just Denis Leary, or do you interpret all comedians' statements literally? Did you really think that Henry Youngman wanted you to take his wife?

There would have been no abduction. Youngman was actively soliciting this his entire career...even said "please."
Still, nobody took him up on it.
Things would be different to-day...

This is actually a pretty good example of a joke that's lost all humor, so you're halfway there!
The better example, perhaps, is Jackie Gleason's Honeymooner trope where he, as Ralph, threatens his wife, Alice, with "One of these days, POW!!! Right in the kisser!" and "You're going to the Moon!," accompanied by a closed fist gesture. Actually, although what is written about this is that mores have changed, but I have always wondered whether folks back in the day didn't think that overt threat of violence against one's wife was not rather offensive for mainstream prime time TV. I suppose it helped that Alice was not phased by it, in the she usually responded "Ahhh, shaddap!" On the other hand, it was rather insulting to working class couples to imply that they might behave that way!

There was a time people thought Denis Leary was shocking and funny, which let him get away with saying something beyond the pale. Yoko Ono jokes are now so played out that they've lost all humor; all that's left is a tone-deaf wish for violence toward someone who suffered a terrible trauma.
I do not want to argue too much, as I already indicated above that perhaps a reference to anyone being shot, even if made as a joke, might not be appropriate for public postings on B&B. I do not think what a lot of professional comedians say about a lot of things--Henny Youngman, perhaps, aside--is appropriate for posting on this public B&B pages. And I do not think we should be any more forgiving of Denis Leary that any other comedian in that respect. And humor is always going to be a very subjective thing. And the reference to letting DL "get away with something beyond the pale," because he was thought of as "shocking and funny," references an interesting point, which is folks let comedians "get away" with saying a lot of things many of us would never say in any kind of serious manner, if they think whatever the comedian is saying is funny. I would not have said what I said if I did not think it was funny and on point, and therefore not "tone deaf," as to what we have been talking about. For the record, as I indicated above, I certainly do not actually wish any violence to Ms. Ono.

And I do not mean any dis to anyone participating in this thread. Sensibilities are going to legitimately vary. I do not want to see this thread shut down, because individual of us have those different sensibilities!

Back to music!!!
Unfashionable as it may be, I agree on Hello Goodbye, Hey Jude, and others (which I would name but will spare those who are sentimentally attached).
Good post altogether! Thanks.

I actually had not thought about whether my somewhat negative thoughts on those particular cuts were "unfashionable." Fashion is an interesting point. I have opined elsewhere that is seemed to me that The Doors has somehow drifted out of fashion, for reasons I do not understand. And, I agree that some of the earlier stuff was pretty goofy. Intentionally so, methinks. The Beatles always had a sense of humor/whimsy.
As greatly as I admired Brian Jones, it seems to me that Mick and Keef really came into their best songwriting without Brian to lean on.
I was going to write that that is undoubtably so, but maybe not so much. Mick referred to Brian as the Stones "colorist," which on one hand seems dismissive, belittling, and rather cruel, which I think Mick and Keff often intentionally were to Brian, although Brian was nobody's idea of a nice guy, much less a reliable bandmate. But Mick J had a point as to Brian's role with the Stones. I do not think anyone ever accused Brian of being a songwriter. I do not know why he wasn't, but he seemed incapable of it. But I think I know what you mean by leaning on Brian. It was not the songwriting per se--although in my opinion Mick and Keef stole songwriting credit from Brian just as they did from Mick Taylor, Gram Parsons, and likely Ry Cooder and many others, I know they have said otherwise, but to me Ruby Tuesday has to have a lot of Brian in it--but Brian's contributions to the recorded and performed songs as a colorist and far more. "Best songwriting," I do not know, but I think Brian was very important to the Stones initial success. I truly do not think there ever would have been the Stones without Brian. None of these thoughts are original with me, of course.

I loved Mick Taylor, just not as a Stone. There was always an element of musicaly separation when he played, at least to my ears.
Interesting way to put it, to think about it. I love Mick Taylor, too, but I think he did his very best work with the Stones, and, as much as I liked Brian, I think the Stones did their very best work with MT. MT was good with the Bluesbreakers, but I do not think he did anything before or after the Stones that was the quality of what he did with the Stones, and it is true that the Stones is great stuff before and after MT. I guess my view is that at their highest peak, they needed MT and MT surely needed the Stones to bring out the very best in him.

"Musically separat[ed] when he played" is a very interesting way to formulate it. To think about it. I know there are Stones songs and parts of Stones songs were MT played what would be traditionally considered rhythm while Keef very much played lead. But overall, there was much less of the "guitar weaving" trading off Keef likes to talk about with MT than there was with Brian and Keef and Ron Wood. To me, MT was a fairly but not exclusively blues-based lead guitar player par excellence, and he did things on lead with the Stones that Keef could never do, that, in a way, that would never occur to Keef to do, that were beyond outstanding. So, I suppose, yeah, an element of being musicially separate. Not that Keef did not contribute important stuff to nearly every Stones cut ever released. I love Keef. No dis to him at all. For instance, I realize that Keef in the mix on "Time Waits for No One," but to me that cut is all MT, and, I suppose, Mick J, and perhaps the best Stones cut ever released. I think there is a fair amount on Sticky Fingers, for instance, that is that same way. All of that said, I also think that MT adapted well to the Stones and was a fantastic fit.

Fun stuff to think about.

...And the reference to letting DL "get away with something beyond the pale," because he was thought of as "shocking and funny," references an interesting point, which is folks let comedians "get away" with saying a lot of things many of us would never say in any kind of serious manner, if they think whatever the comedian is saying is funny...
Comedians have been cloaking the unspeakable and lampooning the political since the jesters of mediæval times. Nothing new here. It is at the very heart of what comedians do! By tacit social contract, the public acquiesces to it, encourages it even...at least until recently.
Say what you dare at your peril!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Jay Z - The Blueprint
Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Dr. Dre - 2001
DMX - It’s Dark and Hell is Hot
Kayne West - a few

That we haven’t had more Lauryn Hill in 2 decades is tragic.
I expected Lauryn Hill to come up on this list and was surprised it took as long as it did. I wonder why it was a one shot thing for her. For that matter, I always liked the Fugees, and it has been a long time, for any of them as I recall.

And, holy smoke, as Em predicted, we "forgot about Dre!" :) I might go for The Chronic over 2001, going strictly by memory pf the cuts, but 2001 will do.

I forget whether we named Snoop's Doggystyle. I cannot quite remember each cut, but I would say it comes close. I like Jay Z, but do not know his albums well enough. I will take other folks' word on that.

Great thread and some great responses. There are many "perfect" albums, at least for me. Several live albums make my top of the top list:
Lou Reed Rock N Roll Animal
The Who Live At Leeds
The Rolling Stones Get Yer Ya Yas Out
Frank Sinatra Sinatra at the Sands

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
I expected Lauryn Hill to come up on this list and was surprised it took as long as it did. I wonder why it was a one shot thing for her. For that matter, I always liked the Fugees, and it has been a long time, for any of them as I recall.

And, holy smoke, as Em predicted, we "forgot about Dre!" :) I might go for The Chronic over 2001, going strictly by memory pf the cuts, but 2001 will do.

I forget whether we named Snoop's Doggystyle. I cannot quite remember each cut, but I would say it comes close. I like Jay Z, but do not know his albums well enough. I will take other folks' word on that.

Rumor is Lauryn couldn’t handle the fame and kids all at once and just stepped away. Also tax evasion charges.

Rumor is Lauryn couldn’t handle the fame and kids all at once and just stepped away. Also tax evasion charges.
I remembered the tax evasion charges, but either did not know or forgot about the kids. She seems to have actually done prison time for tax evasion. It appears that she in on tour now or about to start in celebration of the 25th anniversary of Miseducation. Not for me to judge, I guess. But does seem tragic for her to more or less walk away after that kind of musical accomplishment. Easy for me to say given I have never had to deal with fame!

Lou Reed Rock N Roll Animal
The Who Live At Leeds
The Rolling Stones Get Yer Ya Yas Out
I do not think I can argue with any of those. I had suggested Leeds previously. Perhaps the greatest live band ever at its peak. Every cut on Yas is at least very good and it fairly captures a great live band at its peak. I like Lou and Steve Hunter, and the version of Sweet Jane on Animal is stellar. I am having trouble remembering the specific song versions that are the other cuts, but I will bite on this one.

Highway to hell
I am surprised this one did not come up earlier.

Top Bottom