What's new

People with coarse beards, how do you leave the shave at "just good enough"

In other words, how do you step away from the shave without doing extensive clean-up or a ridiculous amount of passes? I have REALLY stubborn facial hair, even when using a Joris or Fatip Grande (some would call these "aggressive" razors) I feel like I have to go over some areas (like my mustache) a dozen times ATG to get all the hair. Other people might not notice a few stray pieces of stubble here and there, but I definitely notice it. How do you guys leave it at "just good enough"? I hate the irritation that follows my extensive clean-up, but there is nothing I hate more than looking in the mirror and seeing stray stubble. I can't stand it. How do you guys cope?

I have coarse hair that grows at a low angle to my face, especially on my neck. I have found that one of the biggest things that helps is to only shave after a shower. I thoroughly wash my face and sometimes use Noxzema as a pre-shave. I have tried my wife's shampoo and conditioner on my face with varying degrees of success.

Blade choice is also makes a difference for my shaves. With time and practice I have been able to get DFS shaves in two passes. I don't do a true WTG pass on my first pass. I do more of a WTG/XTG first pass followed by a XTG/ATG second pass. I have gotten a couple BBS shaves, but the extra passes aren't worth it as they typically result in irritation without always getting BBS.

I guess the key is finding what level of shave you are willing to accept while still enjoying the shave itself.

Last edited:
When I started researching DE and traditional wet shaving, I never contemplated getting a DFS, for as far as I was concerned, BBS is a proper shave. If I had been happy enough with DFS, I'd probably have just been happy enough trying maybe one razor and one blade - that's just not me though!
I've done as much research and trials with as many razors, blades and methods as possible, so that I could get the results I deemed acceptable. Up until it happened, I had never had BBS even once in twenty eight years of shaving but I knew it was possible and I was determined to get there. It took six months from commencing to get my first BBS but every single shave in those last eighteen months has been BBS, but I actually find that fairly easy with something like a Tech and Feather. Some of those I deem better than that though. I started with SE about a year ago and some of those have left me BBS for at least twenty four hours after.
So, lucky to get good shaves? No, I don't think so, I worked hard to get here and I believe with shaving certainly, you get out what you put into it.

I suffer from the difficult combination of course beard/sensitive skin. To make matters worse, I shave daily with the exception of an occasional Sunday. I am resigned to the fact that there is no way for me to get a perfect shave without irritating the heck out of my skin. (and yes, my prep is excellent) My daily routine is for a single pass, WTG. I buff in places when my skin is not sensitive but my chin gets a single pass even if the shave is imperfect. So it goes.......

Razor: Wolfman OC Brass
Favorite Blade: Gillette Rubie
Favorite Soap: Mickey Lee Drunken Goat
PreShave Oil: Homemade (castor; grapeseed; primrose;avocado; liquid lanolin)
AfterShave Balm: Soap Commander

Of All the Things I Have Lost, I Miss My Mind the Most.
-mark twain-

I also have coarse whiskers, and in the past year or so of DE shaving, only ended up with a nice BBS shave when I decided to do a third ATG pass on my jaw and cheeks, which meant it wasn't really BBS on my neck. I'm not sure that I'll ever get my neck as close, nor that I want to given how much more easily it irritates, but lately I've been getting close to BBS in just two passes by going WTG first, then at an angle which is sort of combination XTG and ATG. This saves a little time, and my theory is, lessens the chance of irritation by involving less shaving.

Not sure anyone with a coarse beard (or anyone at all?) can get a BBS shave from one WTG pass, though.

It's also worth saying that this two-pass approach is working because I'm using very sharp blades and smooth, chatter-free razors (lately my Wolfman, my NEW SC, or my ATT S2 slant). My lather also has to be good and properly slick.

I have found that I perform a 4 pass shave every time. It is the only way I can be satisfied with my shave. I've tried a two pass and a 3 pass with touchups and it just does not work for me. I shave every day and use mostly vintage razors (SE, DE & Injectors). My skin is not sensitive so I do not suffer from irritation unless I amusing a blade that is to dull.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
"Just good enough". It's easy to shave me. I don't have a coarse beard. But every shave I do is 'just good enough'.

One of the proverbs here is, "Don't be a perfectionist.'

I have found that I perform a 4 pass shave every time. It is the only way I can be satisfied with my shave. I've tried a two pass and a 3 pass with touchups and it just does not work for me.

This.
while I tell myself I do 3+touch up, the touch ups are usually all over where patches grow in different patterns. I effectively do a pass shave

"Just good enough". It's easy to shave me. I don't have a coarse beard. But every shave I do is 'just good enough'.

One of the proverbs here is, "Don't be a perfectionist.'

I find this very difficult, being a perfectionist. :p
Today I managed a not terrible shave by not doing as much touch-up work as I usually do on my neck, but I have to be careful about that since my job requires a clean shave. Luckily most of my beard hairs are fairly light colored, except on my chin, due to my dirty-blond nature.

Let me add one more thought here. My daily razor is the moderately aggressive Wolfman OC. I do well with a one pass shave. Not BBS, but pretty darn good. When I travel, I leave my beloved Wolfman at home and use a vintage Gillette Tech, a sweet little razor but almost comically mild when compared to the Wolfman. With my course beard, there is no way I can get a quality one-pass shave with the Gillette Tech. It is so mild that I need to do short, chopping strokes with pressure to get anything done, and then I have to do it again to get a decent shave. So, I wonder if part of the secret to a great one-pass shave is to use an aggressive razor to get the work done.

Of All The Things I Have Lost, I Miss My Mind The Most.
-mark twain-

Top Bottom