What's new

Pearl Flexi v2 brass cnc milled adjustable razor is out!

OK folks, I will say up front:

The following post truly gives me no pleasure because I was really looking forward to getting the Pearl Flexi, however I believe in saying the unvarnished truth, for better or worse, so have a look at this picture of the Flexi that just arrived. This photo was taken with the the top cap screwed down. Or at least what is supposed to be screwed down. Note how the left side is clamped down, but the right side…….. The daylight! It burns my eyes!:117:
View attachment 1264141

Needless to say, it goes straight back to Maggards ASAP.

I had high hopes, but given the price and their previous quality control issues, I can’t say I’m totally blindsided by this. There’s a reason the Rocnel, Rex, Taiga, and Tatara adjustables cost much more than the Flexi. Buyer beware.

Don’t have one yet but have been following them for a while. You’re the first I have seen to post this issue. Since you are the first, my guess is that everything was milled properly but either the threads were seated ever so slightly at an angle or it was dropped somewhere before it was boxed.

Considering their customer service so far, they’d probably replace it for you immediately.

Don’t have one yet but have been following them for a while. You’re the first I have seen to post this issue. Since you are the first, my guess is that everything was milled properly but either the threads were seated ever so slightly at an angle or it was dropped somewhere before it was boxed.

Considering their customer service so far, they’d probably replace it for you immediately.

Hopefully it’s an anomaly, but I have my doubts. The fact that I am the first to report the issue may be do to the fact that I have a background in manual machining and silversmithing, so probably have a tendency to look at things more closely than most. I suspect most people would not think to look specifically at 360 degree closure alignment prior to loading up their first blade.

Subsequently I have found that by turning the top cap 180 degrees, the fit is “Ok”, but of course that’s not an acceptable situation, and makes me wonder if the base plate or cap was hand sanded to fit in order to make up for a known misalignment of parts. But I’m speculating, can’t be certain with just one example.

Hopefully more owners will have a look at the closure alignment of their Flexis, without a blade installed, with the the top cap rotated each way, and report their findings.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Just checked mine w/o blade. Checked with cap flipped one way, and then flipped 180 degrees. No daylight either way.
Then I checked it with the blade in, and found that at each setting there is more gap on one side than there is on the other.
Mine is going back too.

Last edited:
Hopefully it’s an anomaly, but I have my doubts. The fact that I am the first to report the issue may be do to the fact that I have a background in manual machining and silversmithing, so probably have a tendency to look at things more closely than most. I suspect most people would not think to look specifically at 360 degree closure alignment prior to loading up their first blade.

Subsequently I have found that by turning the top cap 180 degrees, the fit is “Ok”, but of course that’s not an acceptable situation, and makes me wonder if the base plate or cap was hand sanded to fit in order to make up for a known misalignment of parts. But I’m speculating, can’t be certain with just one example.

Hopefully more owners will have a look at the closure alignment of their Flexis, without a blade installed, with the the top cap rotated each way, and report their findings.

Not doubting your experience but looking at your picture, I think most people would see that issue. If they didn’t before the first shave, they would definitely notice it during the shave almost immediately. That would be a very rough ride.

Since I am in RAD jail with the wife, I can’t pick one up. The most telling review of this razor was from Matt at RE. On his video, he did a fair share of nitpicking things, going as far as dumping on the free razor stand in his “unbiased” review. One thing that struck me was his admission that the Flexi shaves very similar to the Ambassador. He also talked about part interchangeability with the caps and baseplates. I suspect if there was a fatal flaw, he would have pointed it it out.

Not doubting your experience but looking at your picture, I think most people would see that issue. If they didn’t before the first shave, they would definitely notice it during the shave almost immediately. That would be a very rough ride.

Since I am in RAD jail with the wife, I can’t pick one up. The most telling review of this razor was from Matt at RE. On his video, he did a fair share of nitpicking things, going as far as dumping on the free razor stand in his “unbiased” review. One thing that struck me was his admission that the Flexi shaves very similar to the Ambassador. He also talked about part interchangeability with the caps and baseplates. I suspect if there was a fatal flaw, he would have pointed it it out.
The thing with quality control is even if Matt's didn't have this flaw, others may have. It seems there's so much randomness on what issues, if any, they have.

- Fayiz D.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh

No "fatal flaw." Just spotty QC. The best design in the world is useless if your quality control isn't consistent. I've seen this on less expensive Pearl razors. Poor QC is the real fatal flaw.

Good QC means there is no "randomness." A company should want all customers to feel that they are going to get a decent product, as opposed to playing the lottery.

I agree for the most part, but you might want to look at some QC issues of some other modern razors razors reviewed here. Some are much more expensive than this razor.

Bottom line is that if they take care of the issue, make things right and send out another one, that is all that matters.

I bought a first batch Parker Variant, the thread came out of the cap while putting in the first blade. They sent out a replacement and I later bought two more for my sons. If you remember, there were a slew of QC issues with the first batches of the Variant, most notably the black finish coming off the handles. The Variant sells well today because it is a solid razor just like it’s inspiration.

Good QC means there is no "randomness." A company should want all customers to feel that they are going to get a decent product, as opposed to playing the lottery.
Agreed! That's my point is with the qc, or lathereof, we're seeing all sorts of issues. It isnt like it's a singular issue but so many things.

- Fayiz D.

Yep.

I used to work for a small shop that was world famous (within certain circles) for hand making the finest woodwind instruments of their type for over 50 years.

My first day on the job, my boss, head of the shop and the son of the founder, said the following to me: “ There is only one way we do things here, the right way. Good enough, is not good enough. Don’t rush, take your time and get it right. Every. Single. Time.”

I took that to heart, and I became a much better craftsman for it. The flip side being I am a merciless critic of poor workmanship. And I’m ok with that trade off:001_cool:

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
I agree for the most part, but you might want to look at some QC issues of some other modern razors razors reviewed here. Some are much more expensive than this razor.

Bottom line is that if they take care of the issue, make things right and send out another one, that is all that matters.

I bought a first batch Parker Variant, the thread came out of the cap while putting in the first blade. They sent out a replacement and I later bought two more for my sons. If you remember, there were a slew of QC issues with the first batches of the Variant, most notably the black finish coming off the handles. The Variant sells well today because it is a solid razor just like it’s inspiration.
I returned a Pearl Flexi v2 and got a v4 with the same problem. I did the same thing with the Parker Semi Slant because of poor blade alignment. After the third replacement with the same problem I gave up. I will never buy another Parker.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Agreed! That's my point is with the qc, or lathereof, we're seeing all sorts of issues. It isnt like it's a singular issue but so many things.

- Fayiz D.
If there was proper QC You might see one issue occasionally A lot of different issues means QC is nonexistent. It is litterally a lottery, where the winners get decent razors.

Yep.

I used to work for a small shop that was world famous (within certain circles) for hand making the finest woodwind instruments of their type for over 50 years.

My first day on the job, my boss, head of the shop and the son of the founder, said the following to me: “ There is only one way we do things here, the right way. Good enough, is not good enough. Don’t rush, take your time and get it right. Every. Single. Time.”

I took that to heart, and I became a much better craftsman for it. The flip side being I am a merciless critic of poor workmanship. And I’m ok with that trade off:001_cool:

- Fayiz D.

Imagine paying hundreds of dollars for a Rex and having issues. Mine are detailed here on B&B. I wish they would have sent me a new razor. The last email I got from them was around February promising a new knob. Haven’t gotten that knob yet and don’t expect to. The threading is just one of my issues.

Wish I would’ve gotten the TAIGA before RAD jail. :)

Imagine paying hundreds of dollars for a Rex and having issues. Mine are detailed here on B&B. I wish they would have sent me a new razor. The last email I got from them was around February promising a new knob. Haven’t gotten that knob yet and don’t expect to. The threading is just one of my issues.

Wish I would’ve gotten the TAIGA before RAD jail. :)
One manufacturer's problem doesn't excuse another. RE should have replaced the razor and not messed around. I agree on that. Id call or email them again.

- Fayiz D.

One manufacturer's problem doesn't excuse another. RE should have replaced the razor and not messed around. I agree on that. Id call or email them again.

- Fayiz D.

ATT
Timeless
Charcoal Goods
Blackland
Wolfman
Henson (New/Very impressed)
Homelike

I just added Henson. Homelike is also pretty new, also impressive. Doesn’t matter what you think about their razors, materials used or cost, the above mentioned modern razor companies have no reported QC issues with their lines that I am aware of. I keep track on the forums and via various online websites. A little hobby of mine.

Hope this helps anyone that is interested in new purchases.

ATT
Timeless
Charcoal Goods
Blackland
Wolfman
Henson (New/Very impressed)
Homelike

I just added Henson. Homelike is also pretty new, also impressive. Doesn’t matter what you think about their razors, materials used or cost, the above mentioned modern razor companies have no reported QC issues with their lines that I am aware of. I keep track on the forums and via various online websites. A little hobby of mine.

Hope this helps anyone that is interested in new purchases.
It's easy to not have qc issues with they only make 3 piece razors, other than homelike taiga. Homelike taiga is also different than the rex in how it works. I'm sorry you had issues with the rex but I think if you reach back out you'll get the replacement

- Fayiz D.

Top Bottom