What's new

Pearl Flexi Dissapointment

He is sending me a pre-paid label to return and exchange the razor.
In my case, no pre-paid label. I had to pay the return shipping. After they received the defective product they deducted 10.00 of the total amount as a returning fee.

Lesson learned, I should have read the fine print on the website😉

I guess this uneven gap problem didn't really become evident until after adjusting the razor a few times? Or is always uneven?

Not sure. I adjusted it right out of the box, just to test the knob, then adjusted it with a blade installed, to check the gap.

No amount of fiddling, rotating the cap, repositioning the blade, trying other blades, pushing down on the cap, or pushing/ wiggling the safety bar and cap results in the same gap on both edges. One side is always wider compared to the others.

In my case, no pre-paid label. I had to pay the return shipping. After they received the defective product they deducted 10.00 of the total amount as a returning fee.

Lesson learned, I should have read the fine print on the website😉

I did read the terms AFTER my purchase. I have no problem with following their terms but my problem was the fact that they wouldn't answer the phone or respond to my emails - even if the response was "We're sorry you are having trouble, but per our terms of sale you will need to contact Pearl for resolution".

I got crickets chirping until today. At least give the impression that you care about your customers.

id read the terms AFTER my purchase. I have no problem with following their terms but my problem was the fact that they wouldn't answer the phone or respond to my emails - even if the response was "We're sorry you are having trouble, but per our terms of sale you will need to contact Pearl for resolution".
That’s exactly what me make me sad, the lack of communication. I didn’t live in the US, so I didn’t know what to do in case of a defective product. In my country usually the seller deal with the problem, not the maker.

Also, I think a 10.00 fee (handling and shipping) in a 36.00 order is excessive. The fine print didn’t point the exact value of the fee.

Maybe the seller didn’t understand my broken English, but all the interaction was slow and laconic.

I am sorry to hear your difficulties with the razor and customer service.
Here is a link to my experience with Jason at The Razor Company.
They treated me fair and I was very satisfied with the results.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I had a last version Flexi and had the same (or similar - blade gap was skewed on each side as well) issue. I eventually managed to fix it by turning the head just a little bit with ALOT of (manual) force. The thread is glued tight for some reason.
In my case it was basically because of how the spring was inserted. Someone on the forum pointed out how exactly these Gibbs-like system work, I think it was @Scaramouche who explained how exactly the position of the spring could affect the way the head moves up and down) Once I managed to turn the head about a quarter turn, I'm guessing the spring was eventually in the right position.

Do this at your own risk obviously.
But for me it eventually proved to be the solution. I did end up selling it, but only did so because I had aqcuired an Ambassador (which in turn has also already been sold).

PS, pearl customer service never bothered to reply to my e-mails.

Ps2, the seller did allow me to return it, but I chose not to because of the fix.
Thanks for the story. It's possible the "glue" is something like Loc-Tite -- something that prevents threaded parts from un-threading themselves.

So -- if one wanted to be forgiving -- this problem is not a "defect", but only a "mis-adjustment". That is, you fixed it without bending anything, or replacing any parts.

I've been thinking about getting a Pearl Flexi (not that I need another razor) -- I'll have to find that thread before I do . . . .

. Charles

Sorry about that, I have connected Pearl and few times and highly suggested they step up there quaily control process (long overdue). I would like to see a Quality Assurance card in each box, with a date stamp, QA ID, serial number and QA sign off. This is long over due. I recieved a recent mfg run and have had no issues. Also Pearl seems pretty good on the warranty. This is only for the orignal buyer, must be completed in 30 days of puchase, good for 5 years. Also for me, the soul of any company is thier customer service. I always check that out before the buy. Simple interactions, questions, and a good test to see if they are connected and follow up. Another thing that always rings in my ear, is that " I don't pay for other peoples (companies) mistakes. Make it right, just do the right thing....at least meet my expectations but the great ones will exceed.......BFX

Interesting. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and after a few shaves didn’t mesh with it. I just assumed it was blade choice or technique. I will look at the blade alignment.

Long ago when I bought my Progress I remember some talk of random misalignment. I asked the vendor to check the alignment before shipping. All initially looked OK, but I later noticed that there is a very, very slight difference. Doesn't affect the shave, however. My Fatboy also looks just a little "off."

Anyway, I wonder if misalignment is something more commonly seen in adjustables?

Last edited:
I just unboxed a Pearl Flexi V6 I bought from The Razor Company. No shave yet, but I washed the razor, loaded a Nacet, and spent a while moving the setting around. So far I haven't seen any variation from one side of the gap to the other - it looks perfectly even at all settings, both sides. It doesn't turn completely to 1 or 6, but that really doesn't bother me. It's a good looking piece, and the weight and balance feels very nice. Looking forward to a first shave with it tomorrow morning.

Long ago when I bought my Progress I remember some talk of random misalignment. I asked the vendor to check the alignment before shipping. All initially looked OK, but I later noticed that there is a very, very slight difference. Doesn't affect the shave, however. My Fatboy also looks just a little "off."

Anyway, I wonder if misalignment is something more commonly seen in adjustables?
The Progress has a problem:

. . . The cap isn't positively positioned at the center of the baseplate.

So to get the blade centered, you must _hold the blade and cap centered_ against the baseplate, as you tighten the bottom plastic knob.

I've found it to be a really nice razor, once I learned that from Mantic59.

It's possible that other adjustables have a similar problem. You'd think that with modern machining, it should be easy to make something that is constrained to move in a straight line, adjusted by a threaded knob or ring. There must be some hidden problems . . . <G>

. Charles

Reactions: tm3
Sorry to say I had the same blade gap issue on a recent v11 purchase from Murphy and McNeil. Only difference, I had spectacular support and response from Murphy and McNeil.

I opened the box for the v11 Flexi on Christmas and was about to use it when I noticed the blade gap was off after putting blade in.

IMG_20221225_202440780.jpg

IMG_20221225_202430868.jpg

Just slopes looking from both sides there. I sent an email with those pictures to Murphy and McNeil Christmas night not expecting any response for several days if not after the new year.

I got a response that night maybe 10 minutes later! First a simple question if there was a blade in there and they have seen the gap difference go away with a blade in. And asked if I wanted a refund or a new razor shipped out.

I was shocked to get a reply that night. I responded there is a blade in there and I just wanted store credit as I was looking at the Muramasa.

That night I got a prepaid return shipping label and the next day a refund in store gift cards. I also was told they put the Muramasa in a cart for me if I still wanted it because they only had one left in stock.

I'm still just floored at how quickly they responded and went above and beyond to make sure I got a razor I might want.

Needless to say I started the new year off with a great shave with the Muramasa.

IMG_20221231_210256906.jpg

And to add as I'm thinking about it. They refunded me and sent me out a new razor before I even got the Flexi shipped back. I don't remember the last time I had customer service like that.

And to add as I'm thinking about it. They refunded me and sent me out a new razor before I even got the Flexi shipped back. I don't remember the last time I had customer service like that.

That is great.

In defense of my seller: Ryan from The Razor Company, emailed me a label to ship my Flexi back. I sent it about a week ago and am still waiting for a response/resolution.

If I get another bad razor, I'm going to pursue a refund.

Update

So, the good news is:

My replacement razor shipped from The Razor Company yesterday. Even better, The Razor Company is in Keego Harbor Michigan, which is in my home state, only 140 miles away. Great, right?

Well, with good news comes bad:

The package went to the Post Office in Detroit. No big deal, that is probably a distribution center, and only 29 miles from The Razor Company. I'm only 170 miles north of Detroit, but Detroit sent the package to Palatine, Illinois, which is a suburb of Chicago and 311 miles from Detroit. From Palatine to my home it's 349 miles.

Doing the math, the package will have travelled 699 miles if it comes directly from Illinois to my home, or 559 miles further than the distance between The Razor Company and my front door.

Anyway, according to the USPS tracking, it should arrive tomorrow. Pretty sure that ain't happening. 😆

Obviously none of this is the fault of The Razor Company, but you gotta love the "efficiency" of our Detroit Post Office. It's hilarious.

lasta

Blade Biter
Update

So, the good news is:

My replacement razor shipped from The Razor Company yesterday. Even better, The Razor Company is in Keego Harbor Michigan, which is in my home state, only 140 miles away. Great, right?

Well, with good news comes bad:

The package went to the Post Office in Detroit. No big deal, that is probably a distribution center, and only 29 miles from The Razor Company. I'm only 170 miles north of Detroit, but Detroit sent the package to Palatine, Illinois, which is a suburb of Chicago and 311 miles from Detroit. From Palatine to my home it's 349 miles.

Doing the math, the package will have travelled 699 miles if it comes directly from Illinois to my home, or 559 miles further than the distance between The Razor Company and my front door.

Anyway, according to the USPS tracking, it should arrive tomorrow. Pretty sure that ain't happening. 😆

Obviously none of this is the fault of The Razor Company, but you gotta love the "efficiency" of our Detroit Post Office. It's hilarious.
Big country, not enough trains haha!

Top Bottom