What's new

Pearl Flexi v2 brass cnc milled adjustable razor is out!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
There has only been 2 versions of this razor made! It has been noted in one of the threads here that there is no such thing as a V4 of this razor. An Ebay seller captioned it V4 on their ad but when they were contacted about it they explained it was a V2 phase #4 (production run), that they were selling... Even Maggards has the wrong info on their site!!
Correct... only two versions as clearly stated on their website. They are doing limited runs at a time of V2 to not have a ton of inventory sitting on the shelves unsold. [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes - hence my (?) after the "v4".

The question, to me, is whether there is a higher failure rate in the later production run? If so, why?

3 common causes are:

1. Changes in machine set-up and/or tooling between production runs. I imagine they don’t have machines dedicated purely to making the Flexi. Tool bits and machine parts wear out and need to replaced. Things can go out of spec after these changes are made.

2. The machines themselves are inaccurate, known as “run-out” in machinist terminology. Essentially the variance a machine has from its originally specified tolerance capability. Run out tends to occur and increase as machines get worn over usage hours.

3. Variance in hand finishing. This can occur for a multitude of reasons: Employee turnover, different levels of skill abilities for people doing the same task, etc.

After all this Pearl Flexi talk... I had to use it today. Buttery smooth 3 passes (5, 4, 3) plus cleanup on my second shave with this Perma-sharp blade. Lovin’ it. [emoji1360]

Happy Healthy Shaves.

Josh

proxy.php

After all this Pearl Flexi talk... I had to use it today. Buttery smooth 3 passes (5, 4, 3) plus cleanup on my second shave with this Perma-sharp blade. Lovin’ it. [emoji1360]

Happy Healthy Shaves.

Josh

proxy.php

Your Pearl Flexi is from what production batch?
I'm waiting for one, from the 5th batch directly from Pearl, should be shipped next week, and some of the comments here let me worried...

My Pearl Flex 1 is from batch 4 and I have zero alignment issues. However, this is what happened yesterday. I have been using setting 6 which is the most aggressive but the shaves have been very smooth and close. I wanted to experiment with the settings so I lossened the bottom knob and turned the setting dial. What I ended up with was uneven blade alignment. So this is what I did. I put the blade in the top cap.I screwed the bottom knob until the blade was firmly seated (tight is okay but don't go nuts). Now the setting dial can be adjusted to any number desired. The inserting and tightening down of the blade is a separate function from the adjustment dial. After I did this I checked every setting and the blade was perfectly aligned. According to Pearl batch 6 will be issued in late June.

Your Pearl Flexi is from what production batch?
I'm waiting for one, from the 5th batch directly from Pearl, should be shipped next week, and some of the comments here let me worried...

TBH, I wouldn’t be concerned. I bought mine from a third party vendor (The Razor Company) so I’m not certain which batch 2 or 3 probably [emoji2369], but was definitely advertised as V2). It was a phenomenal purchase at $72 (10% off code used). I originally purchased it as a planned travel adjustable but I could definitely use it at home all the time if I didn’t have many options [emoji51]. I definitely prefer it to several of my vintage Gillette’s. I’m certain it would be replaced or refunded if there was an issue. Just use PayPal and it’ll be 100% guaranteed. Cheers.

Josh

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
3 common causes are:

1. Changes in machine set-up and/or tooling between production runs. I imagine they don’t have machines dedicated purely to making the Flexi. Tool bits and machine parts wear out and need to replaced. Things can go out of spec after these changes are made.

2. The machines themselves are inaccurate, known as “run-out” in machinist terminology. Essentially the variance a machine has from its originally specified tolerance capability. Run out tends to occur and increase as machines get worn over usage hours.

3. Variance in hand finishing. This can occur for a multitude of reasons: Employee turnover, different levels of skill abilities for people doing the same task, etc.

Makes sense. Thank you.

TBH, I wouldn’t be concerned. I bought mine from a third party vendor (The Razor Company) so I’m not certain which batch 2 or 3 probably [emoji2369], but was definitely advertised as V2). It was a phenomenal purchase at $72 (10% off code used). I originally purchased it as a planned travel adjustable but I could definitely use it at home all the time if I didn’t have many options [emoji51]. I definitely prefer it to several of my vintage Gillette’s. I’m certain it would be replaced or refunded if there was an issue. Just use PayPal and it’ll be 100% guaranteed. Cheers.

Josh

I've been talking directly to Pearl, good communication from the customer support, and they guarantee that the issues are solved...although at least here on the forum at least two of them, from the last batch, have problems, maybe some bad units...

Don't know anything about this pearl flexi razor but seen a ebayer on ebay uk having a listing taking deposit for the new pearl flexi v5 I think?

These razors any good?

Don't know anything about this pearl flexi razor but seen a ebayer on ebay uk having a listing taking deposit for the new pearl flexi v5 I think?

These razors any good?
Yes .

I would not buy from a seller trying to pass off a new version which isn't though.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Reactions: saj
Yes .

I would not buy from a seller trying to pass off a new version which isn't though.

Yea true

Does seem legit as he's sold a lot of pearl products according to his feedback, I assume you could just buy directly from pearls website right?

What's this adjustable razor like any? Anything to compare it too?

Yea true

Does seem legit as he's sold a lot of pearl products according to his feedback, I assume you could just buy directly from pearls website right?

What's this adjustable razor like any? Anything to compare it too?
There's a whole thread here describing it friend....it's closest to the Rex Ambassador which was based on the 1930s Gibbs and 50's Personna.

Pearl describes the production runs as "phases".

Last edited:
Reactions: saj

Josh

I’m just chiming in to say my experience has been identical. No issues with version 2. It’s really surprising me. I too bought it as a travel (only) razor and it’s getting daily regular use from me right now. I am, however, sorry to hear others are having issues.

Top Bottom