What's new

Pearl Flexi Open Comb release

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Just saw a teaser on the Pearl Sales rep Dhara Bhatt's Whatsapp status

The Pearl Flexi Open Comb. Am in touch with her to buy one. There is a definitive change in the overall structure of the razor, design of the handle and ofcourse its open comb. Looks less bulky than the original Flexi. Remains to be seen how it actually differs.

Edit : Just ordered one from their website for around 70 USD plus free shipping. Now the wait !

I really like the looks of their new handle on the Pearl Flexi OC, they make some great razors and their handles are unique.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
My new toy just arrived this afternoon ... three days from the enabling of the OP (shipped from Pearl USA, Georgia not India). Included are some blades I never heard of- in 11 packs no less? I took a look before snapping the picture and the blade gap looks to be ok. Test run to follow ..

DSC01053.JPG

Last edited:
I just got mine also. It's Fatboy Friday and I already shaved so I'll try it tomorrow. I got the same Willy's blade packs. I put one in and the gap looks even and everything works smoothly. The new handle sure has more grip than the original Flexi handle! The stand is the same. Much faster shipping from GA. Last time it took 2 weeks from India and Israel. Same weight and size as SB Flexi.

Mine arrived today from Georgia as well. I will agree, the handle has a lot more grip then the SB does. Loaded a blade and spun the adjustment wheel. No alignment issues or tilting. The SB always reminded me of vintage Coleman camping gear. The pattern on the new OC handle reminds me of the sole on a hicking boot. So far as looks go, I really like it. Balance seems good but I will know more after the first shave.

I have read multiple reviews of the Willy's blades. Looking forward to trying them. First shaves will be with a familiar blade for a fair comparison to the SB.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Went ahead and tried out the new Flexi OC. Looks like the same adjustment mechanism to the safety bar version. Weighs about the same (SB is 1 gram heavier on my scale, 143 vs 142g) and is likely the heaviest safety razor(s) I've used. I do not appreciate the total blade coverage (for both alignment and close trimming reasons) but I can live with them. And I generally don't like rounded end top caps, but the Flexi is squared off underneath and thus will sit pretty securely on the ends. The handle pattern is unique, but I never had a problem with grip on the SB version that I recall.

I had the same thought as bdehne above before trying the Willy's, so loaded up a Feather that was used previously so I didn't add an additional variable.

I had previously used a 5 setting on the SB, and eyeballed the OC & saw the gap looked similar (read pretty substantial). So I used the 5 setting. Balance felt good to me, if a bit on the heavy side. The shave was comfortable and close, but the alum test after indicates I may need to either change the gap setting or my shave angle. There were no bleeders, but a fairly healthy alum burn told me I maybe needed to change something next time. Or maybe break out a feeler gauge and measure the gaps. I like aggressive razors, and it is nice to find out this one has some room at that end of the adjustment scale. I had a much more expensive adjustable that was sold off for a song because it wasn't strong enough even wide open.

As shown, the Pearl Flexi Open Comb comes with the Willy's (5*11), as well as a razor stand. This one punches way above its weight, the total cost is approximately what some others charge for just a stand!

Good deal!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Went ahead and tried out the new Flexi OC. Looks like the same adjustment mechanism to the safety bar version. Weighs about the same (SB is 1 gram heavier on my scale, 143 vs 142g) and is likely the heaviest safety razor(s) I've used. I do not appreciate the total blade coverage (for both alignment and close trimming reasons) but I can live with them. And I generally don't like rounded end top caps, but the Flexi is squared off underneath and thus will sit pretty securely on the ends. The handle pattern is unique, but I never had a problem with grip on the SB version that I recall.

I had the same thought as bdehne above before trying the Willy's, so loaded up a Feather that was used previously so I didn't add an additional variable.

I had previously used a 5 setting on the SB, and eyeballed the OC & saw the gap looked similar (read pretty substantial). So I used the 5 setting. Balance felt good to me, if a bit on the heavy side. The shave was comfortable and close, but the alum test after indicates I may need to either change the gap setting or my shave angle. There were no bleeders, but a fairly healthy alum burn told me I maybe needed to change something next time. Or maybe break out a feeler gauge and measure the gaps. I like aggressive razors, and it is nice to find out this one has some room at that end of the adjustment scale. I had a much more expensive adjustable that was sold off for a song because it wasn't strong enough even wide open.

As shown, the Pearl Flexi Open Comb comes with the Willy's (5*11), as well as a razor stand. This one punches way above its weight, the total cost is approximately what some others charge for just a stand!

Good deal!
Very good report on your first shave with the Flexi adjustable OC, I find the Feather blades are almost to sharp sometimes for a trial run on a new razor. We know it will perform for a close shaves if wanted. I would turn it down a notch with a Feather blade possibly or try another favorite blade on the same settings to see how it performs. Open comb will usually get closer to the skin surface it seems but not always because I have a few that are smooth razors as you already know I'm sure(others might not know this possibly). Glad your happy with your razor and it looks great also.

Looking at the SB and OC side by side, it looks like the gap on the OC is smaller at all settings. Could just be my eyes or an optical illusion but it would make sense. OCs typically don't need as much gap to proved a close shave. Another observation, running my fingers over the teeth I didn't notice any sharp edges, nice work Pearl. Keeping the price of the SB and OC the same is also refreshing. The big change is the handle. It actually grips my fingers much like my Rex. The handle has very crisp edges and does not feel slick at all. I have never had an issue with the handle of the SB but the OC definitely feels more secure in the hand. First shave will be tomorrow so I will see how it feels when wet but I imagine it will be just fine.

I have a recent Flexi with the safety bar. The mechanism, adjuster, alignment, etc. are all excellent and I see no issues. If that's any indication, the manufacturer seems to have ironed out any problems they have had.
Pearl's quality control is spotty. I just purchased and returned a Flexi v.12 because the handle rattled. I followed other's suggestions on how to fix the issue and nothing worked. I'm glad I bought it from amazon. Although significantly more costly, I'll stay with the Rex Ambassador, for now. That Rabbit hole is so damn close!!

Pearl's quality control is spotty. I just purchased and returned a Flexi v.12 because the handle rattled. I followed other's suggestions on how to fix the issue and nothing worked. I'm glad I bought it from amazon. Although significantly more costly, I'll stay with the Rex Ambassador, for now. That Rabbit hole is so damn close!!
The Pearl Flexi is a rattler. I am surprised they never addressed that issue. It's not really a deal breaker for me but what was for me was the overall variation in quality. You could get a fantastic one or just as easy get a dud. I don't believe it is the spring as such but more so the collar in the handle that keeps the bottom knob in place (I guess you could call it a spring if you want). I just took apart my broken one and I was not wrong and should have been easy for Pearl to fix. Regardless of such it doesn't affect the shave but you are entitled to feel that way. Personally I feel like they should have improved upon that and eliminated that issue as it would bode better with me knowing they are constantly refining and improving.

I still need to frankenbuild my Flexi based on the two I have and give it another chance but at the price you pay its not too bad and may end up being brilliant but I can't say for sure but the OC is definitely interesting.
This was one of the razors I bought in an attempt replace my REX Ambassador when I didn't understand it.
If the rattle is all you had a problem with then you probably had a good razor.

Attachments

• 97649780-f1b5-11ed-a26b-272d19b72064.jpg
    97649780-f1b5-11ed-a26b-272d19b72064.jpg
    862.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Looking at the SB and OC side by side, it looks like the gap on the OC is smaller at all settings. Could just be my eyes or an optical illusion but it would make sense. OCs typically don't need as much gap to proved a close shave. Another observation, running my fingers over the teeth I didn't notice any sharp edges, nice work Pearl. Keeping the price of the SB and OC the same is also refreshing. The big change is the handle. It actually grips my fingers much like my Rex. The handle has very crisp edges and does not feel slick at all. I have never had an issue with the handle of the SB but the OC definitely feels more secure in the hand. First shave will be tomorrow so I will see how it feels when wet but I imagine it will be just fine.

Very helpful information. Much appreciated.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom