What's new

Pearl Flexi Open Comb release

Well after the first shave I have to say: wow was that a harsh shave! Used a Personna Lab Blue second use. A super close good shave but not as comfortable as the regular Flexi. Need to pay attention using this one. I think I had it set too high for me. I use my SB Flexi on 3.5 so I started at 3.5 on the OC. I did the WTG pass on 3.5 and it was more blade feel and closer than the SB. I had to turn it down to 3 and finally to 2.5 for ATG sideways on my neck. I find the SB flexi shaves best for me at neutral to riding the cap some, but this OC not as shallow. I did get a very close BBS shave but the alum bar lit me up. Next time I'll just start at 2.5 and it should be more comfortable. It's no Fatboy that's for sure. I use my vintage Gillette adjustables at 7 and could run them at 9 and still be a comfortable BBS shave. I realize the number settings aren't a direct comparison, but I'm comparing the comfort and end results. Maybe the Flexi OC isn't a good choice for daily shaving for me, but I'll try it again turned down. So far I prefer the SB Flexi over the open comb. One use isn't a good trial. Anyone who can shave with this on 6 must have a face of steel haha!

Well after the first shave I have to say: wow was that a harsh shave! Used a Personna Lab Blue second use. A super close good shave but not as comfortable as the regular Flexi. Need to pay attention using this one. I think I had it set too high for me. I use my SB Flexi on 3.5 so I started at 3.5 on the OC. I did the WTG pass on 3.5 and it was more blade feel and closer than the SB. I had to turn it down to 3 and finally to 2.5 for ATG sideways on my neck. I find the SB flexi shaves best for me at neutral to riding the cap some, but this OC not as shallow. I did get a very close BBS shave but the alum bar lit me up. Next time I'll just start at 2.5 and it should be more comfortable. It's no Fatboy that's for sure. I use my vintage Gillette adjustables at 7 and could run them at 9 and still be a comfortable BBS shave. I realize the number settings aren't a direct comparison, but I'm comparing the comfort and end results. Maybe the Flexi OC isn't a good choice for daily shaving for me, but I'll try it again turned down. So far I prefer the SB Flexi over the open comb. One use isn't a good trial. Anyone who can shave with this on 6 must have a face of steel haha!
Hahaha "face of steel"
These are the kind of BBS shaves that usually come back to haunt me later. Maybe also try using a more mild blade that you like next time too to maybe get more functionality out of the adjustment dial to find the sweet spot. Although personna lab blue's were pretty mild to mid from my memory.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

A harsh first shave! Let's hope turning it way down fixes things.

I've used my SB Flexi on setting #6 throughout a shave, but generally follow a pattern.
  • The beginning: #1.5- #2.
  • The middle: #5 or #6.
  • The end: Lowest setting.
To me a pattern of this sort makes sense and works for me with all my DE adjustables.

I'll probably follow a similar pattern with the Flexi OC.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Much better shave today! I didn't want to change the blade and increase variables so I kept the Personna LB and just turned down the Flexi. I like the lab blues and use them often so I didn't think it was the blade. I started out at 2 today and it was much better. Wound up with 2.5 mostly and 2 ATG on neck and got a great super close 3 pass shave. Much more comfortable. I got the angle figured out better too, steeper than the SB Flexi. Due to the heavy weight of the razor and the open comb I think it tends to sink in too much if I use any pressure. The razor is plenty heavy to not need any pressure and sometimes I needed to hold its weight back just a little. For my face I think if I turned it up to 6 it would be like shaving with a wood planer, but adjusted properly it worked great! I'll try it with a Wizamet next time, it may be even better. I like it. YMMV

I had my first shave with the Flexi OC today. Thanks to all those that posted reviews before me as their advice was heeded as I made the maiden voyage.

My apologies for the long post and lack of pics.
I use a Rex Ambassador on most days. When I use my Flexi SB, I use the same settings as I would on the Rex, 2.5 for WTG then 1.5 for all subsequent passes and buffing if needed. As I mentioned in an earlier post, compared to the SB it looks to me like the OC has a smaller gap across all settings. I decided to start out at 2.5 for the WTG pass then went down to 1.5 for subsequent passes XTG and ATG.

Blade: Fresh Astra SP
Soap: Shannon's Soap, Haymarket
Brush: RazoRock Beehive XL
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Nor'easter Balm

I decided to make slow strokes for this shave. The WTG pass was smooth but the OC does have more blade feel than the SB. After the WTG pass, I re-lathered my jawline and did a XTG pass ear to ear. For the ATG pass, I re-lathered and did an ATG pass on neck, jawline and face. XTG was not as smooth as the WTG. ATG on the face was no trouble. ATG on the neck was a little uncomfortable. In the end, I had a very close shave.

OCs always do a better job around my adam's apple and the Flexi OC was no exception. The end result was mostly BBS with the exception of my chin for some reason. I had 2 small weepers on my neck that rinsed away.

I normally don't use alum unless I have had an exceptionally rough shave but today, I wanted some feedback. After the warm water rinse, I used cold water and the alum block to check for any "hot" spots. My face and jaw had very little feedback. On my neck the alum block made it clear I had gotten a bit too close. A cold water rinse followed by some witch hazel then a quick smear of Nor'easter balm and everything felt fine and very smooth.

As expected, the new handle pattern provided excellent grip (I still hold that the new pattern looks like the sole of a hiking boot and I like it). The OC is very well balanced. For me, the OC felt natural in the hand and I enjoyed using it. I am wondering if the OC might work better with a sharper/smoother blade like a Nacet or Gillet Platinum? I used the Asta SP as this is the blade I use most often and always with new razors however, moving to a smaller gap for XTG and ATG did not seem to smooth things out leading me to believe that perhaps something sharper would help.

Final impression, both the SB and the OC remind me of vintage camping gear, the new OC handle even more so, rugged and utilitarian. The OC felt natural in my hand and provided an excellent if not a bit too close shave. Again, only the first shave but I am sure I will be able to get things smoothed out with more shaves and finding the blade that works best. Build and finish is great, I find no flaws and alignment is spot on. This one does not rattle. Looking forward to using the OC more.

Happy Shaves to All!

Hahaha "face of steel"
These are the kind of BBS shaves that usually come back to haunt me later. Maybe also try using a more mild blade that you like next time too to maybe get more functionality out of the adjustment dial to find the sweet spot. Although personna lab blue's were pretty mild to mid from my memory.

Now, I want to compare the setting on 6 to the Pearl Hammer SB or OC . Expecting delivery today and setup for a shave tomorrow morning

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mine is on the way. Ordered on Amazon, it is being shipped by Pearl USA. Exactly where it's coming from is anybody's guess, but it might arrive later this week or early next week. That's super slow for Amazon in my experience, but it is what it is.

In the meantime I'm enjoying everyone else's comments and contributions.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I was just comparing the OC and SB. The SB weighs in at 143g and the OC 142g. While I was working the adjustment knob on the OC the handle started to turn. Apparently the blue loctite they used was not fully set. When I screwed the handle off, I could clearly see it was still in liquid form. Perhaps the hot water I shaved with caused it to loosen? Apparently there is no mechanical lock holding the handle in place. It will continue to screw in until it locks the razor at setting one. This same thing happened to my Rex after 2 years of use and a short drop into the sink (butter fingers). With the Rex, the handle threads bottom out just before it stops against the adjustment knob so I am able to tighten and use the razor without the head moving. Not so with the Flexi OC. No worries, I have plenty of loctite available so I will clean everything, apply the loctite, adjust and let dry. Should be fine.

3rd shave was great. Started on 2 with a new Wizamet and got a very close uneventful shave. Turned setting down to 1.5 ATG in a few spots. I've got it mostly figured out now and it works well. I wouldn't put it at the top of my list but its a good razor. It is very heavy.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have said from day one with my original Flexi SB that I wish it went to 7 or 8. I currently shave with the Flexi SB on the max setting only. So the OC that is waiting for me at home should hit the sweet spot if its not too harsh. The question is whether or not I can get that one up to the max setting! :)

Much better shave today! I didn't want to change the blade and increase variables so I kept the Personna LB and just turned down the Flexi. I like the lab blues and use them often so I didn't think it was the blade. I started out at 2 today and it was much better. Wound up with 2.5 mostly and 2 ATG on neck and got a great super close 3 pass shave. Much more comfortable. I got the angle figured out better too, steeper than the SB Flexi. Due to the heavy weight of the razor and the open comb I think it tends to sink in too much if I use any pressure. The razor is plenty heavy to not need any pressure and sometimes I needed to hold its weight back just a little. For my face I think if I turned it up to 6 it would be like shaving with a wood planer, but adjusted properly it worked great! I'll try it with a Wizamet next time, it may be even better. I like it. YMMV
While I do not have the Flexi, I have the Hammer and you really need to back off the pressure due to the weight for sure. It took me a weeks-worth of shaves to figure that out!

Apparently the blue loctite they used was not fully set. When I screwed the handle off, I could clearly see it was still in liquid form. Perhaps the hot water I shaved with caused it to loosen?

Blue Loctite is supposed to be okay up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Unless you were shaving in a pressure vessel, I think you can rule out the hot water. Also, it's supposed to fully cure in 24 hours. I wonder if it was just as simple as somebody didn't shake the container and therefore wound up applying mostly solvent and dye.

Blue Loctite is supposed to be okay up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Unless you were shaving in a pressure vessel, I think you can rule out the hot water. Also, it's supposed to fully cure in 24 hours. I wonder if it was just as simple as somebody didn't shake the container and therefore wound up applying mostly solvent and dye.
Very good point. I will apply some fresh loctite gel after a proper cleaning. Should resolve the issue. Fingers crossed.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
5-16-23.Pearl.Flexi.OC.InStand.640.JPG

5-16-23.Pearl.Flexi.OC.Not in stand.640.JPG

Mine arrived today. Handsome razor. Incredibly grippy handle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

head shave w the new OC.
blade: Treet black
soap SV
2+ passes, setting was 2.5 then 3.5
Close shave, minimal irritation. Just a bit heavy for this task. Will soon try on face.

All in all, it's a nice razor....

First shave in the books with the Pearl Flexi OC.

The Razor came in a fancy Pearl Flexi box as usual, but without any sampler blade pack. No 10 pack, 5 pack or a single blade.

I loaded a Willys blade which came with the SB version of the Flexi, a blade which I have come to like alongside the other usual blades I have.

Eyeballed the blade gap, zero visible issues. I used setting 3. I used Godrej Lime shave cream and a Pearl Flexi 30mm synthetic (This is an unbelievable value for money brush).

I am used to negative pressure with Pearl razors, and going by earlier feedback in this thread, I doubly ensured zero pressure.

First stoke and I could feel the blade on setting 3. I like blade feel and this was comfortable blade feel, but it is higher than the SB. I can say this setting was equal to a 5 on the Pearl Flexi SB.

The first pass was extremely efficient on 2 days stubble. The last shave was on Monday with a coticule edge on a vintage straight razor.

I did 3 passes, the 2nd on setting # 2. I went down to setting # 1 as well, which are mostly not useful for any effective cutting on most adjustable razors. The Pearl Flexi OC on setting # 1 felt very smooth with blade feel and it was effective to cut hair.

After a a cold water splash, I used my alum block. I expected some stinging - however there was none. While the razor has blade feel - it was not harsh and did not take a layer off the skin.

I can say this is perhaps an aggressive shaver, however it is extremely efficient. Anyone who likes blade feel will love the Pearl Flexi OC. I was surprised that I felt no irritation, however I did not dare to go beyond setting 3 so maybe that was a balance of blade feel, efficiency and healthy skin.

The highlight of the razor is the design on the handle. It is extremely grippy. I can wager that tat the razor will not slip out of the hand with motor oil on the fingers. It is much more grippy than the Pearl Flexi SB and the Rex Ambassador (which is extremely grippy). In fact the design is such that the fingers pinch fit inside those design patterns making it very grippy.

Will be using this razor and can say its a new personal favorite for travel.

@BradWorld Look forward to your review on setting # 6 ;)

Top Bottom