What's new

Pearl Flexi first shave - Jekyll or Hyde ?

I've started a new thread to post my first shave experience around the Pearl Flexi which has received a lot of negative and positive attention since it started reaching customers. I would like to post my thoughts and observations on my first shave with the Pearl Flexi all brass CNC milled adjustable razor inspired by the vintage Gibbs adjustable razor.

I had a first shave with the Pearl Flexi today. I decided to dare and use the Free Glatz blade which came with it. I used the Razorock unlabeled project soap.

Going by my experience with the Rex Ambassador, and other reports of blade canting videos, I eye balled the razor on settings 2 and 2.5 as well as on its fully open position. I also took close up photos to ensure that my copy doesn't have issues.

First pass on 2.5, the Shave was smooth but I think the blade has a roughness Factor to its but nothing to irritate my face. The blade is User grade to my face.

First pass was uneventful and as expected.

Second pass on 3, I upped it to a 3 and went for that second pass. Again a bit rough like I experience with some other blades but not harsh. However the razor moved easily and gave a great BBS shave.

Weight and balance The most Impressive part of the shave is the razor weight. It's amazing for a close shave and possibly the heaviest razor in my collection. However it's well balanced and is easily manoeuvred in all directions.
20201125_110816.jpg

Handle grip The Rex ambassador has the most grippy handle of all razors I own. The flexi has softer knurling on the handle and going by the weight of the razor, I was apprehensive if it had good grip with shave soap on it. Surprisingly it is pretty good grip and no way that the heavy razor will slip from the hand due to imbalance.
20201125_110903.jpg

Overall shave The razor is a great shave tool if you have got the spring issue sorted out. It just goes to say that the weak link in adjustable razors which are CNC milled with extremely tight tolerances unfortunately is a 1 dollar spring.

With my experience of the shave with Flexi today, I think this is my new favorite adjustable razor.

Going by advice in another thread I also managed to considerably resolve the Rex Ambassador canting issue, which had rendered my RA useless with the very same issues highlighted for the Pearl Flexi. I have an N2 series.

Apparently all the disassembly videos put out there to show a bad design are unfortunate negative propaganda to downplay a fine value for money razor.

Pearl needs to send out informative emails to customers and on YouTube for breaking in.the spring and also replacing the spring for future versions.

Like the initial versions of Rockwell 6S and the Rex Ambassador which had severe challenges of blade alignment, the Pearl Flexi is just a week or two in the end consumer hands. They seem to be responding well to customer complaints and correcting them. A good design and a listening responsive vendor is a great recipe for a value for money product with initial go to market teething issues sorted out.

Thank You for taking time to read my review.

20201125_102957.jpg
20201125_102931.jpg

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Probably not the best idea to test any new razor with an unknown blade.

Thanks for the review and the detailed pics. Never heard of breaking in a spring.

Probably not the best idea to test any new razor with an unknown blade.

Thanks for the review and the detailed pics. Never heard of breaking in a spring.

I agree. The unknown blade gave me two variables to judge a razor. I'll try my favorite Gillette Wilkinson blade for better control of the variables.

The spring breaking in came in as an idea on another thread and it managed to being my 250 dollar rex ambassador to a useable condition as it had severe blade canting issues and was sent back to RE as well for repairs. That is another story:)

Moral of the story is more focus needs to be given by modern adjustable razor makers on the spring.

Good looking razor, to be sure. It does seem that if a company is going through all the trouble and expense of cnc machining they ought to pony up another buck or two for a quality spring.
For want of a shoe, the horse was lost, and all that.....

Nice review. A longer, more quality spring with increased tension would fix any canting issues out of the box. A customer really shouldn’t have to break in the other spring.

Aside from the BS video showing the shaft being manipulated in the baseplate hole back and forth without the spring affixed, the video does show the spring off to the side at least. Looks a bit shorter than what would be best in that design compared to my Gibbs spring (Same shaft design).

They will probably throw in a much better spring on the second batch they are working on. Anyway, glad to hear they will refund or replace any razors with canting. I’m sure they learned their lesson with that spring.

I forgot to ask you, does the knob and handle thread off to allow for simple disassembly?

I’m thinking about looking for any of the “challenged” batch 1 razors on the cheap via auction or other. I’d try working the spring and if need be, throw my own spring into it later.

The manufacturer has admitted issues with the razor alignment from 2.5 - 5 roughly and are giving full refunds.
Apparently there’s a second generation coming out where the problems have been addressed

The manufacturer has admitted issues with the razor alignment from 2.5 - 5 roughly and are giving full refunds.
Apparently there’s a second generation coming out where the problems have been addressed
They are also offering to replace your razor if it has the problem. I’m guessing they all have the problem.

Hey @luv2shave
Greetings from India. Great review up there.. glad you liked your new Flexi Adjustable.
I recently acquired Pearl's L55 (Open+Close Comb) Razor from their website. I had a great experience with their service and after sales support. Got fine shaves with it. The Razor in itself was ordered in Rose Gold finish but somehow, upon receiving the product, the finish was not meticulously done. Had a word with brand's owner and he was happy to send me a replacement and honestly suggested to opt Chrome as Rose Gold finish had quality issues.
All along, the brand is serious for traditional wet shaving and their portfolio is loved and admired by Indian and Overseas Wet Shaving community alike.

New Flexi Adjustable had been appreciated by many but because of quality issues, negatives also emerged along with. I hope they'll rectify the errors before rolling out the next batch.

1st Shave with the Razor Pearl Flexi Adjustable
Soap Coconut Lime
Brush Yaqi 24mm Green Mink
Blade Derby Usta 1st
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Proraso Green Splash and Balm
Received this razor famous now for the uneven gap and slanted head. I found it's every bit as true but the slanted head can be quickly fixed (albeit temporarily) while both sides blade exposure not the same I can't fix. I set it at 2.5 and paired it with the blade...ohh man...had one of my best shaves for the past weeks. Despite the blade exposure and knowingly using both sides, I had an excellent mostly bbs to dfs result after 3passes without any issues. Wow! Really surprising! The razor is really hefty, solid, and with a good grippy handle.
20201231_113146.jpg

I also had a razor with the uneven gap issue. Reaction from Pearl was really fast and customer oriented. They asked me either to get zhe money back or to get a New one after they fixed the problem in a second batch. Yesterday I got the information, that the replacement razor from Pearl was shipped. They seem to have changed some of the specs. E.g. is the range of blade gap, according to the renewed information on their homepage now from 0.25 to 1 mm. I‘m looking forward how shaving with the new Flexi Adjustable will be.

Mine is the V1. But fortunately it has no issues whatsoever. A very good razor for sure.
proxy.php

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

My V1 was also pretty well balanced and gave awesome shaves. I could splurge on a V2 fue due lower shipping costs within India. Lovely albeit beefy shaver

Last edited:
I also had a razor with the uneven gap issue. Reaction from Pearl was really fast and customer oriented. They asked me either to get zhe money back or to get a New one after they fixed the problem in a second batch. Yesterday I got the information, that the replacement razor from Pearl was shipped. They seem to have changed some of the specs. E.g. is the range of blade gap, according to the renewed information on their homepage now from 0.25 to 1 mm. I‘m looking forward how shaving with the new Flexi Adjustable will be.

There was a definite change in Geometry of the head cap on the V2 over V1 - more curved. I think they did make more tweaks with every run and have finally settled with the V4

My V1 was also pretty well balanced and gave awesome shaves. I could splurge on a V2 fue due cheaper lower shipping costs. Lovely albeit beefy shaver
What are your favorite blades paired with this razor? I find that sharper blades like Astra SP feels aggressive on settings 4-6. Milder blades seems to pair well with it.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

I used the Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword and the Pearl Flexi V2 exclusively i n March Madnes Month. It is good for 4 shaves moving up from setting 2 to setting 4. The razor is pretty heavy and "Zero pressure" really makes a lot of difference in letting the razor weight alone do the work.

Top Bottom