What's new

Pastrami or corned beef?

Pastrami or corned beef?

• Pastrami

• Corned Beef

Results are only viewable after voting.
These pictures are making me want to move back to the city...with that said I'm such a pedestrian that I actually like corned beef hash...nice crispy slices friend in butter and served with a couple of eggs over easy...I have to stop now or I'll be hunting in pantry for a can of the stuff.

Sourdough is for avocado eating, Bierkenstock wearing, tofu hotdog loving, West coasters who can't manage to gather enough B&B'ers in one spot to have a decent luncheon. :lol:

+1 - there's only one type of bread for either corned beef or pastrami and sourdough ain't it.

Neither, my vote is for Montreal Smoked meat (a cousin to pastrami) as prepared by Schwartz's Hebrew Deli on St. Laurernt Boulevard in Montreal Que. Canada, preferably served piled high on rye bread with fries and a ginger ale.

Oh oh, you oughta take a trip to Montreal to Schwartz's for some real Montreal Smoked meat.

Amen brothers.

I still miss Reuben's - which lasted for a couple of years on King Street (the owner apprenticed at Schwartz's and turned out a mean smoked meat). You could get an awesome smoked meat on rye with a cherry soda.

The new smoked meat king in TO is Caplansky's - 12 Clinton Street downtown.

There's also the Center Street Deli, but it ain't Shwartz's.

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

I wanted to say that!!!!

:cursing:

Oh oh, you oughta take a trip to Montreal to Schwartz's for some real Montreal Smoked meat.

I'm pretty sure I saw that on an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Looked GOOOOOD!! :drool:

Nevertheless, I had a corned beef and pastrami on rye with lots of mustard, a cup of mushroom barley soup and a potato knish for dinner last night at Woodro's Deli in Hewlett, NY.

Yeah. That's how I roll.

:c6:

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
What is this doing in the Speakeasy? There's a similar thread in the Mess Hall. Maybe move this there and merge them?

Yes please. :drool:
proxy.php

+1!

I love the corned beef. I eat it a boiled dinner for my birthday on St. Paddy's Day every year and it's coming up! I like pastrami but I prefer eating a Reuben and it's not a Reuben unless it's corned beef sauerkraut and Swiss on rye or a marble loaf.

interesting fact: traditional Irish boiled dinner actually used ham (most call this a "New England boiled dinner") but the Irish immigrants in NYC were living in predominantly Jewish neighborhoods and couldn't get ham at Kosher meat markets. They substituted corned beef and it stuck.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sourdough is for avocado eating, Bierkenstock wearing, tofu hotdog loving, West coasters who can't manage to gather enough B&B'ers in one spot to have a decent luncheon. :lol:

I will bump this just for ouch's insightful post :biggrin:

I tried, but I can't bring myself to vote. It is like choosing your favorite child, but with the corned beef and pastrami there isn't actually a secret answer. Full disclosure, I have no children, so I am just kidding about choosing your favorite.

We had Lunch at Katz when we were in NYC over Christmas. I just visited their website and I'm planning to get a delivery sent to me ASAP.

Well since this popped up ill add a recipe,
I love both , but just after st pattys day, all the corned beef goes on sale , deep cut in prices, so i usually buy 3-4 and freeze.

A lot of insta pot or elec pressure cooker owners i. Here now so this is what i do.

3-4 lb brisket thawed , add the cup of water, 1beef bouilion cube, tsp liquid smoke the spice packet that usually comes with it.
Ill trim the excess fat if any.
Pressure cooker on high, 90 minutes.
Let cool lift rack out and slice. Enjoy ..
Refrigerated CB will slice up nicely and can pan heat or microwave for sandwiches for a few day.

This is fall apart tender..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Obsessed:
sandwich-club-jpg.803276
If I had to choose...it's corned beef on a Reuben 'sam-wiche' w/ Coleslaw, 'paper-thin' Corned Beef grilled between two (2) slices of fresh Rye bread, sauerkraut (properly drained [squeezed] of almost all liquid), and Swiss cheese...and of course either Russian or 1000 Island Dressing!!! :thumbsup:
proxy.php
"Lunch time is best served in sandwich form". Author unknown

I much prefer corned beef. Especially the kind that sort of just melts in your mouth. I haven't had any pastrami that does that. Maybe I just haven't had any good pastrami. But i'm corned beef all the way. Looking forward to St. Patrick's Day and some corned beef and cabbage. And I can never pass up a piled high corned beef on rye with mustard when at a good jewish deli.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You are aware, of course, that true traditional pastrami isn’t made from brisket.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
You are aware, of course, that true traditional pastrami isn’t made from brisket.
Ouch:
You do say...then not from brisket...where then
proxy.php

Butcher.jpg
"A [person] who is not touched by the earthy lyricism of hot pastrami, [...] pickles, [and] the great lusty impertinence of good mustard is a [person] of stone and without heart". Herb Gardner

Top Bottom