What's new

Pastrami or corned beef?

Pastrami or corned beef?

• Pastrami

• Corned Beef

Results are only viewable after voting.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
For me, the best thing about St. Patrick's Day is making too much corned beef, then having to eat corned beef and eggs for breakfast and a Reuben for lunch for days.

For me, the best thing about St. Patrick's Day is making too much corned beef, then having to eat corned beef and eggs for breakfast and a Reuben for lunch for days.

For me its the Harp.

BTW...I just noticed in one of your earlier posts "the holy trinity of Jewish food." Nice irony, so smooth that I missed it first time through.

Great thread. I will say again that good Jewish deli is a treasure and those of you with access to places like Katz's and Russ and Daughters should be very happy, and take good advantage, and from what I can tell, you surely are. Mad props.

By the way, Manhattan is not the only place with good deli. I buy pounds and pounds of corned beef and pastrami, and hot dogs and liverwurst (I am forgetting the name for good Jewish liverwurst), and tongue (although the tongue is pretty expensive and not all that fantastic), and mustard, and rye bread, and half sours by the gallon jar, every time I am in Baltimore. I would say that the corned beef and the pickles are as good as I have ever had. I might give the edge on pastrami to NY, NY.

I think the Italians carry the day on deserts though, and I think the City wins out there over most of the country. Actually, maybe not over Philly.

ouch

Great.

Now I need a cannoli. Hmmm. I have ricotta and marsala at home. Think the girls will complain if I wake them up by cooking cannolis?

+1, I am impressed with the beadth of knowledge and taste on this forum! And that someone is frying up their own cannoli shells. Props.

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"--perfect movie quote and Holy Trinity was a good one, too.

Man, that's a tough one.
If you held a gun to my head, I'd go pastrami, but when done right both are heaven. Before I die, I will make a pilgrimage to Katz's in NYC and gorge myself on both.

For a Southern boy, I do know my deli.....

BTW, brisket should be on the list too...:wink:

Was in NYC last fall and the first place I went was Katz's for a corned beef sandwich and of course it was heaven. I sat one table over from where Harry met Sally. Do your self a favor go sooner than later and bring cash they don't take credit or debit cards.

The next time I get up that way it will be pastrami cause I can't decide whats better.:biggrin: How can you even quantify these two incredible gifts to the world in order to make a decision?

I hear all this talk about both, only to be served with rye bread, and mustard.

What about Sourdough?

Maybe it is a Northern California thing, with San Francisco sourdough being EVERYWHERE, but I tell ya, corned beef on sourdough with mustard is a beautiful thing.

ouch

What about Sourdough?

Sourdough is for avocado eating, Bierkenstock wearing, tofu hotdog loving, West coasters who can't manage to gather enough B&B'ers in one spot to have a decent luncheon. :lol:

Usually, I get both on one sandwich, but if I was forced to choose one or the other, more often than not, it would be Pastrami -- the King of all deli meats.

Edit: Guess what I'm getting for dinner tonight!

Last edited:
Neither, my vote is for Montreal Smoked meat (a cousin to pastrami) as prepared by Schwartz's Hebrew Deli on St. Laurernt Boulevard in Montreal Que. Canada, preferably served piled high on rye bread with fries and a ginger ale.

Top Bottom